The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Penalty for the following.... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/29490-penalty-following.html)

Teigan Wed Nov 15, 2006 08:34pm

Penalty for the following....

Hello,
If the a ball is rolling on the rim. A a player goes up and smacks the backboard causing the ball to go off. I know this is basket interference. But does it also come with an indirect technical foul? (NCAA Rules)

WhistlesAndStripes Wed Nov 15, 2006 08:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teigan
Hello,
If the a ball is rolling on the rim. A a player goes up and smacks the backboard causing the ball to go off. I know this is basket interference. But does it also come with an indirect technical foul? (NCAA Rules)

I don't know about NCAA, but under NFHS, this is NOT basket interference. The only thing in Fed you could possibly come up with here is a technical foul. No way to call BI and award the basket, even if slapping the backboard is what caused the ball to roll out.

Nevadaref Wed Nov 15, 2006 09:04pm

Quote:

If the a ball is rolling on the rim. A a player goes up and smacks the backboard causing the ball to go off. I know this is basket interference.

Do you really KNOW that? Are you sure? :p

Quote:

But does it also come with an indirect technical foul? (NCAA Rules)

Perhaps you should focus your research on this question. ;)

BktBallRef Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:24pm

Yes, it is BI in NCAA. It's the Bobby Knight rule.

Zoochy Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:58am

The Bobby Knight rule is NCAA Mens 4-4-2. BI occurs when a movable basket ring is pulled down then contacts the ball before it returns to its normal position.
I do not know NCAA rules but, I am on Nevadaref's side. Can you call BI when the backboard vibrates via being smacked?

JRutledge Thu Nov 16, 2006 01:26am

BI is the exact same rule in NCAA rules that it is in NF rules. So this would not be BI in any way.

Peace

Official99 Thu Nov 16, 2006 01:59am

You don't have BI... you can't have BI. BI interference requires the rim or net to be displaced, the ball to be touched while in or on the basket or reaches through the basket from below and plays the ball.

As far as the Indirect T goes, you are correct. In fact, that is the only call you have - an Indirect T (Rule 10-3.15).

Nevadaref Thu Nov 16, 2006 04:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Yes, it is BI in NCAA. It's the Bobby Knight rule.

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you! :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy
The Bobby Knight rule is NCAA Mens 4-4-2. BI occurs when a movable basket ring is pulled down then contacts the ball before it returns to its normal position.
I do not know NCAA rules but, I am on Nevadaref's side. Can you call BI when the backboard vibrates via being smacked?

It's true, it's true ... ;)