The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Studying for NFHS Exam (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/29325-studying-nfhs-exam.html)

Chess Ref Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:47am

Studying for NFHS Exam

Looking for some suggestions on how to prepare for the test, other than telling me to read the rulebook.I am trying to be efficent in my study time.....

I am thinking of spending

25% of study time of Rule 4 Definitons
25% Case Book Rule 4
15% on new POE
35% on the rest.

Anyone have any better ideas or approaches for me.....

Thanks for the feedback.....

tjones1 Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:50am

Well, I think it would depend on how much you already know or feel you know. Obviously, focus on your weak areas. Review previous exams or maybe questions from Referee. Good luck!

Bad Zebra Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:53am

I find it useful to go through Fed and state tests from previous years and pay particular attention to questions that I got wrong. Invariably, these questions seem to make their way forward in some variation each year. I usually wait until a week before the exam to look at old ones. I just took our state exam last night and it was reduced to 50 questions instead of 100, now each worth 2 points. A lot of grumbling amongst the attendees.

Junker Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:01pm

I have heard that the ARS software is great for getting ready for the exam. I'm buying it today or tomorrow and then just quizzing the crap out of myself until our exam date (first week in December around here). As far as your OP, I agree that it depends on your weakness. Rule 4 is a great place to start for all officials.

Raymond Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chess Ref
Looking for some suggestions on how to prepare for the test, other than telling me to read the rulebook.I am trying to be efficent in my study time.....

Study, we're actually talking about studying??? (I'm sorry, Allen Iverson flashback).

I don't study, I just come to the forums and wait for someone to post the answers. :D

Or I look at the previous year's test and read the applicable rules. I usually catch most everything that way.

Ref_ Fred Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:30pm

Quote:

I guess you need to ask yourself what is your goal? Is it to pass the exam or understand the rules. I'm not sure what area of the country you are in. I believe that most of the country the NFHS exam is open book test. So passing of the exam should not be a problem. For me it is to understand the rules and how to administer them properly. IMO!

JRutledge Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junker
I have heard that the ARS software is great for getting ready for the exam. I'm buying it today or tomorrow and then just quizzing the crap out of myself until our exam date (first week in December around here). As far as your OP, I agree that it depends on your weakness. Rule 4 is a great place to start for all officials.

The ARS software is the best tool for the NF tests. You do not need to read every aspect of the rules. What you need to know is the NF asks the same questions, over and over and over again. The AR shows the kinds of questions they ask over the years and this is the best tool to have you learn what is asked. Also you can tailor training tests to aspects of the rules you are having trouble with. You will not need anything else after this program.

Peace

Jurassic Referee Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef

I don't study, I just come to the forums and wait for someone to post the answers. :D

Or e-mail 'em.....

Ref_ Fred Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:45pm

Quote:

The ARS software is the best tool for the NF tests
Where can you get the ARS software?

Mountaineer Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:46pm

I agree that the ARS software is great. I have used it for several years with great success. Of course another option would be to sit next to someone that scored real high last year . . .

JRutledge Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:49pm

http://www.rules-study.com/

Peace