The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   A Fond Farewell (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/29315-fond-farewell.html)

ChuckElias Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:24pm

A Fond Farewell

After talking about this with some friends from the board and some other officials, I've decided to stop contributing to the forum. As Mick alluded to in the baseball thread, I was hired by a couple of D1 conferences (although I didn't recieve any assignments from one of them). Although it's not very likely, I don't want any of my comments to be misconstrued and then passed on to an assignor.

Fear not, I will be back to start the annual baseball thread. And I'll keep reading. But I won't be posting very much anymore. If for some unknown reason somebody wants my input on something, you could still email me through the forum.

It's been great, guys and gals. Everybody have a great season.

26 Year Gap Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:34pm

Will we see you in AmEast? And when you get home after a game, will one of your first tasks be to walk the dog? I'll pm you from time to time. Thanks for your helpful input.

JRutledge Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:44pm

Wish you the best.

Good luck to you. You and I do not always see eye to eye, but I wish you the best and this is probably a good decision. All that they look for is a little thing and you never know how a comment will be taken. Hope you get the opportunity you are looking for and let us know if you will be on TV. At least we can say we have known you in some way. ;)

Peace

Texas Aggie Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:14pm

I hate to see those with potentially good input not post. I'm sure I've had a disagreement with most anyone that's posted regularly on here as long as I have been on (~2 years or so), probably including you, so this isn't a personal issue. But, I'd recommend you reregister under an assumed name and continue to post. However, if you choose not to, good luck in your endeavors.

tjones1 Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:40am

Take care Chuck, and good luck.

rainmaker Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
But, I'd recommend you reregister under an assumed name and continue to post.

This one gets my vote!

Raymond Tue Nov 07, 2006 01:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias
After talking about this with some friends from the board and some other officials, I've decided to stop contributing to the forum. As Mick alluded to in the baseball thread, I was hired by a couple of D1 conferences (although I didn't recieve any assignments from one of them). Although it's not very likely, I don't want any of my comments to be misconstrued and then passed on to an assignor.

Fear not, I will be back to start the annual baseball thread. And I'll keep reading. But I won't be posting very much anymore. If for some unknown reason somebody wants my input on something, you could still email me through the forum.

I understand your decision. I ran into a fellow in camp this summer who used to post on this site. He said someone had printed out all his posts and passed it along to one of his assignors.

Nevadaref Tue Nov 07, 2006 04:56am

I can't help but think that the remaining members on the forum are coming out on the short end of this. I have learned a great deal from this poster and am truly sorry to see him go. With him gone I don't think that this place will quite measure up to how it was with him around.

I would certainly like to see him continue to post under a ficticious name. While I certainly respect his choice, I have to say that I believe that it is sad that a D1 caliber official must refrain from sharing his knowledge with others in this avocation for fear of it somehow costing him his place in a conference or game assignments.

I've been told that one of the most satisfying aspects of making it to the top is that ability to help others.

Truly what should an assignor care if one of his officials is helping others with rules interpretations, court positioning, and teamwork principles? Isn't that a good thing?

Bold emphasis to give you a parting Chuckle! :)

I wish you the best.

drinkeii Tue Nov 07, 2006 06:26am

Good luck!

cmathews Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:20am

good luck Chuck

Chuck,
Good luck and congratulations. I will miss your insight on the board, but I do completely understand your decision.

Junker Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:30am

Great for you Chuck! You can always show back up under an assumed name. Thanks for all the comments over the past few years.

M&M Guy Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:52pm

Chuck - you will be missed. We kind of looked upon you as one of the keepers of the asylum, along with the moderators. It appears as though there will be one less voice of reason to help hold back the insane masses...

If you do start to post under an assumed name, can I make a couple of non-descript suggestions?

How about SquirrelNuts1?
Or, WonHungLow?
Maybe ShortAndSweet?

(See what I mean? It's starting already...)

Jurassic Referee Tue Nov 07, 2006 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy

If you do start to post under an assumed name, can I make a couple of non-descript suggestions?

How about SquirrelNuts1?
Or, WonHungLow?
Maybe ShortAndSweet?

Is <b>JMO</b> taken?

mick Tue Nov 07, 2006 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias

Good **** ..., Big Dawg ! :)

deecee Tue Nov 07, 2006 01:50pm

to bad to see you go

hard to imagine that we are in a profession where expression ones opinion and openly discussing what is going on is frowned upon. what are we protecting when we are concerned when what we think and feel can come back and bite us in the a$$? just my thinking but if this is the petty state of officiating then quite frankly i am happy where i am.

however chuck it is a sad thing that you cannot share your experience with us and i wish you the best.

"Doubt whom you will, but never doubt yourself."

-- Christian Nestell Bovee