The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
hard to imagine that we are in a profession where expression ones opinion and openly discussing what is going on is frowned upon. what are we protecting when we are concerned when what we think and feel can come back and bite us in the a$$? just my thinking but if this is the petty state of officiating then quite frankly i am happy where i am.
Why is it so odd to think that a D1 official needs to be held to a certain standard of behavior? Officials are expected to be unbiased. Assignors need to be certain that an official is not going to let their opinions be construed in any way as to give any participant an unfair advantage. We all know this, and so it shouldn't be considered "hard to imagine" or "petty" in any way. It is the foundation of what we do. That's why we are not allowed to talk to the press. We are protecting the basic ethics of what we have chosen to do. If you prefer to do something where your opinion matters, you should choose another vocation.

Last edited by Smitty; Tue Nov 07, 2006 at 02:23pm.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, our forum has lost one of our voices of reason. As a relative newcomer to this disfunctional family I have come to respect you comments and views. I know in my small world it has help me become a better official. I wish you nothing but success and looking forward to seeing you on Big Monday!
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Farewell and thank you

Wow. I cannot conceive of the forum with Chuck Elias.

I appreciate all you have contributed over these many years. I hope you feel that your contributions have been valued and that your participation has returned to you manifold in the form of personal grown, currently culminating in this opportunity.

I'd be happy to send you my login and you can continue to post as BITS. The advantages to this scheme are two-fold. First, the intelligence of my posts would improve dramatically. Second, if you ever did say anything outrageous or career-wrecking, everybody already expects it of me anyway!

You will be missed.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
Wow. I guess it's good bye to the Chuck we know and love on this board. I can understand the reasons, but it makes me sad anyway. I imagine it would have been fun to hear about your new experiences first-hand.

Hope you choose to come here under an alias and still dole out that great advice. That ought to create some fun as people try to guess if it's you or not.

Best of luck!
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck it was nice knowing you for the short time, You have been comforting to me when others weren't. Thank you.. But BUT go under an ALIAS instead Elias.. LOL

Good Luck have a great season. let's us know when you will be on the tube.. Who is going to take the grammar/spelling king job..

Last edited by Ref_ Fred; Tue Nov 07, 2006 at 02:57pm.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 03:22pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by refhoops
Unfortunately, our forum has lost one of our voices of reason. As a relative newcomer to this dysfunctional family I have come to respect your comments and views. I know in my small world it has helped me become a better official. I wish you nothing but success and I am looking forward to seeing you on Big Monday!
Does this help fill a void???
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

I certainly hate to see one of the best voices on this forum leave us.
Old Sat Jul 21, 2007, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Chuck SAID he got hired to work some D1, and although I've never actually seen him ref, allusions on this board make me wonder how possible that is. And then I saw this news item:

http://blog.wired.com/defense/2007/0...el-spies-.html

and I knew that whole D1 story was just a fabrication. Chuck was going undercover to serve his country. One of our own has joined the fight, and is now paying the ultimate price.

Do you suppose they'll behead him on camera for the benefit of other squirrels worldwide who might be tempted to work against the Iranian interest? Oh, Chuck, Chuck, how patriotic you are! How we admire you now, when it's too late for you to know our true feelings!!

I will take a moment of silence thinking of all your heroism and bravery. I only hope when my time comes my death will serve a purpose half so worthy.

PS. Whoever's posting in the baseball off topic thread as Chuck, can stop now that his cover is blown. And don't worry, we all know it wasn't you that out-ed him!

Last edited by rainmaker; Sat Jul 21, 2007 at 02:29pm.
Old Sun Jul 22, 2007, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Talking A Fond Farewell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
After talking about this with some friends from the board and some other officials, I've decided to stop contributing to the forum. As Mick alluded to in the baseball thread, I was hired by a couple of D1 conferences (although I didn't recieve any assignments from one of them). Although it's not very likely, I don't want any of my comments to be misconstrued and then passed on to an assignor.

Fear not, I will be back to start the annual baseball thread. And I'll keep reading. But I won't be posting very much anymore. If for some unknown reason somebody wants my input on something, you could still email me through the forum.

It's been great, guys and gals. Everybody have a great season.
Hey Chuck, you don't have to leave on my account! Wonder if Chuck knows that there are spies in these rooms? Hey Chuck, give me a minute to throw some water on a few of these refs, let's see which one is wearing a wire1
Old Sun Jul 22, 2007, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Congrats on the D1 contracts Chuck!

Let us know if we can pick up one of your games on the tube.