The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Backcourt violation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/29307-backcourt-violation.html)

bronco Mon Nov 06, 2006 02:36pm

Backcourt violation

I saw a play this weekend where A1 is dribbiling upcourt. He picks up his dribble, while he is straddling the midcourt line. I know this is not a backcourt at this point, but can he pass to a player in the backcourt or not? I am thinking no, because he never two feet and the ball in the frontcourt, but I wasn't sure if picking up his dribble made the call a different situation.

Jurassic Referee Mon Nov 06, 2006 02:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronco
I saw a play this weekend where A1 is dribbiling upcourt. He picks up his dribble, while he is straddling the midcourt line. I know this is not a backcourt at this point, but can he pass to a player in the backcourt or not? I am thinking no, because he never two feet and the ball in the frontcourt, but I wasn't sure if picking up his dribble made the call a different situation.

Picking up the dribble doesn't make the call different in this particular situation. When A1 picked up the ball while straddling the center line, he still had backcourt status. He can legally pass the ball anywhere- backcourt or front. What he can't do is pick up the foot in the backcourt if it is a non-pivot foot and then put it back down in the backcourt.

Raymond Mon Nov 06, 2006 03:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
What he can't do is pick up the foot in the backcourt if it is a non-pivot foot and then put it back down in the backcourt.

What if he picks up his pivot foot, which is located in the B/C, and then passes to a teammate in the B/C?

Adam Mon Nov 06, 2006 03:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
What if he picks up his pivot foot, which is located in the B/C, and then passes to a teammate in the B/C?

Violation. Assuming he has stopped dribbling, once he picks up the foot in the back court, he has front court status. The only part of his body on the floor is in the front court. Wether the foot is the pivot or not is irrelevant to this rule.

drinkeii Mon Nov 06, 2006 06:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Violation. Assuming he has stopped dribbling, once he picks up the foot in the back court, he has front court status. The only part of his body on the floor is in the front court. Wether the foot is the pivot or not is irrelevant to this rule.

But according to the rule, for the player to obtain front court status, both feet and the ball must be in the front court. This is in direct contradition to this situation, as the second foot never came over into the front court. If you are saying the player and ball have obtained frontcourt status at this point, it is the same as saying a player is in the frontcourt once one foot and the ball are in the frontcourt, and nothing is in the backcourt.

Why would they say both feet and the ball have to be in the frontcourt if only one foot was required?

BktBallRef Mon Nov 06, 2006 06:53pm

three points only applies to the dribbler, David.

drinkeii Mon Nov 06, 2006 06:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
three points only applies to the dribbler, David.

The rule says "For a dribbler to obtain frontcourt status..."?

BktBallRef Mon Nov 06, 2006 07:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by drinkeii

Exactly.

PM me with your email for me to send you the PDA rules.

rainmaker Mon Nov 06, 2006 07:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by drinkeii

When he picks up the ball, he's no longer a dribbler. Now he's a "stander and holder". With one foot in each court. When he picks up his bc foot, he now is a "stander and holder" with front court status. Therefore, ball has frontcourt status.

Nevadaref Mon Nov 06, 2006 07:13pm

Quiz time!!!!!!!

drinkeii Mon Nov 06, 2006 07:15pm

heh - ok - whoops - thanks!