The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   High School Jump vs. AP (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/29306-high-school-jump-vs-ap.html)

Larks Mon Nov 06, 2006 02:19pm

High School Jump vs. AP

Anyone know what year NFHS went to AP instead of jump balls?

rainmaker Mon Nov 06, 2006 03:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larks
Anyone know what year NFHS went to AP instead of jump balls?

Cretaceous??

Larks Mon Nov 06, 2006 03:39pm

Straight from wikipedia.....

The Cretaceous Period is one of the major divisions of the geologic timescale, reaching from the end of the Jurassic Period (i.e. from about 146 to 136 million years ago (Ma)) to the beginning of the Paleocene epoch of the Tertiary Period (about 65.5 to 64 Ma). As the longest geological Period, the Cretaceous constitutes nearly half of the Mesozoic. The end of the Cretaceous defines the boundary between the Mesozoic and Cenozoic eras.

I am guessing that was a LONG time ago?

Jurassic Referee Mon Nov 06, 2006 04:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larks
Straight from wikipedia.....

The Cretaceous Period is one of the major divisions of the geologic timescale, reaching from the end of the Jurassic Period (i.e. from about 146 to 136 million years ago (Ma)) to the beginning of the Paleocene epoch of the Tertiary Period (about 65.5 to 64 Ma). As the longest geological Period, the Cretaceous constitutes nearly half of the Mesozoic. The end of the Cretaceous defines the boundary between the Mesozoic and Cenozoic eras.

I am guessing that was a LONG time ago?

It was. That's why I'm a dinosaur <b>and</b> a cretin.

According to wikipedia also, the NCAA adopted the AP in 1981. The high schools followed suit a couple of years after that iirc.

Larks Mon Nov 06, 2006 04:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

According to wikipedia also, the NCAA adopted the AP in 1981. The high schools followed suit a couple of years after that iirc.

Didnt even think of looking there.....

Them wiki's are on it man.

BillyMac Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:03pm

NFHS Alternating Possession

The NFHS introduced the alternating possession rule in 1985.

Previous to this there were jump balls to start each quarter and after each held ball situation. Jump balls could take place at the center court circle or at the circles around each foul line. Back then, I knew all the rules regarding the jump ball like the back of my hand, and coaches actually had special plays for jump balls. Now that we only have one jump ball in nonovertime games, I just barely know the basics of the jump ball rules. Since I don't have to toss the ball as much as before, I'm sure that my jump ball tosses are not as good as they used to be. I wish the NFHS would allow us to just flip a coin to start the game, like they do in football or soccer.

Stat-Man Tue Nov 07, 2006 04:12pm

This sounds about right (1985), because this was when my "career" started when I was in grade school.

I remember one particular game where my dad was running to scoreboard and the referee for that game hadn't quite grasped the new AP rules and told my dad that the arrow had ot be changed on every throw-in. :eek: That made for interesting fan reaction.

Sad part is, I had a middle school girls game a few weeks ago where the home team's timer tried doing the exact same thing. :confused: Needless to say, I offered to handle the AP arrow for the game.

Texas Aggie Tue Nov 07, 2006 04:23pm

I was going to say sometime between '85 and '88, because that was between (for me) high school and officiating. We jumped in HS, but not when I started.

Jimgolf Tue Nov 07, 2006 05:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac
I wish the NFHS would allow us to just flip a coin to start the game, like they do in football or soccer.

Why not flip a coin to decide each game? Then we could all go home sooner.

drinkeii Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:58am

Anyone know WHY they went to AP instead of jump balls?

Scrapper1 Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by drinkeii
Anyone know WHY they went to AP instead of jump balls?

Ever work a JV girls game?

Jimgolf Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:31pm

The NCAA got rid of the jump ball to save time. Fed followed when they saw that it worked.

As a fan and coach, I don't like the rule, since it takes some of the strategy away. No need to work on a jump ball play, who cares?

But as someone who officiates instructional league 7- and 8- year-olds, hallelujah!

Can you imagine hockey going to AP?

drinkeii Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:33pm

Heh - point taken - 1-2, maybe 3-4 per game would be nice - girls games would be like 40 - haha