The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

A question for IHSA officials

I had a quick question. It may seem dumb but oh well. If I am contracted to work an IESA game is it ok to wear my shirt with the IHSA patch on it or are you only supposed to wear your IHSA patch only for high school games?

Thanks!
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 11:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

The IESA would prefer IHSA officials to work their games, so the answer is yes you can wear the patch during those games. You do not have to (or at least you did not at one time) but it is recommended and will add some credibility to the officials.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 01:16am
M.A.S.H.

I have also been told that starting next year the IESA is going to require two IHSA officials to work the game. For those of you that don't know, currently there only needs to be one IHSA official on the game.
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Thanks a lot.
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

You will definitely want to wear your patch. And a couple of words of unsolicited advice. 1. Look as professional for your lower games as you would for higher. Approach the game as if you were at a higher level because the more the professional you look and professionally you conduct yourself, the better. 2. Also, make sure you know the IESA exceptions to the rules. There was a sheet in your packet. If you don't have it go to the IESA link on the IHSA page. Unless you are in Southern Illinois, all of your games will be IESA rules. If you are in Southern Illinois (original oficiating home area to many fine officials like TJones1 and me!) make sure you know the differences in SIJHSAA and IESA rules. If you have a game with an IESA and SIJHSAA school, I would always do what they do with the World Series... home court rules apply to both teams. Your paper with the IESA exceptions will cover that. Good Luck. Have fun and tell us how it went!
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 12:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Just for clarification purposes

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
Unless you are in Southern Illinois, all of your games will be IESA rules. If you are in Southern Illinois (original oficiating home area to many fine officials like TJones1 and me!) make sure you know the differences in SIJHSAA and IESA rules. If you have a game with an IESA and SIJHSAA school, I would always do what they do with the World Series... home court rules apply to both teams. Your paper with the IESA exceptions will cover that. Good Luck. Have fun and tell us how it went!
Southern Illinois is not the only part of the state that is not under the IESA. Almost the entire Chicago land area and many parts of northern Illinois do not belong to the IESA. Many schools only play under NF rules and the exceptions might be based on a league they belong to. I have not worked a single IESA game since I moved from West-Central Illinois.

Peace
Old Sat Nov 04, 2006, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Point well taken, but I'm assuming that he's not from Chicago. May be wrong, but just get that impression. And, as for you, how the heck can a guy from Wheaton be a Cardinals fan? There ought to be a law!
Old Sat Nov 04, 2006, 01:16am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
Point well taken, but I'm assuming that he's not from Chicago. May be wrong, but just get that impression. And, as for you, how the heck can a guy from Wheaton be a Cardinals fan? There ought to be a law!
I grew up in a town closer to the St. Louis than Chicago. I hated the Cubs all my life and was a fan when the Cardinals won the World Series in 1982. I moved to this area in 1999. Many of the people where I lived were Cardinal fans because we would hear the games on the radio and see the games on TV. When the L.A. Rams came to St. Louis my home town was the first training camp site after their move from LA. I hope this covers what you want to know.

Peace