The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Just because nobody else has mentioned it (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/29230-just-because-nobody-else-has-mentioned.html)

ChuckElias Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:05am

Just because nobody else has mentioned it

The NBA season kicked off last night. I'm not a huge NBA fan, but I follow the Celtics and watch a few games on TV. I don't commit hours to a fantasy team or anything, so I don't usually read the "season preview" articles that come out every year. But I like a particular writer for ESPN and this is what he had to say to Juulie and Mark Padgett. . . :)

Quote:

If you're scoring at home, [the Portland Trailblazers] performed a basketball exorcism over the past two summers, building the team around likable young players (Brandon Roy, Martell Webster, Jarrett Jack, LaMarcus Aldridge) and nonthreatening white guys (Joel Przybilla, Dan Dickau, Raef LaFrentz). Only two bad apples remain: Darius Miles (M.I.A. and mulling microfracture surgery) and Zach Randolph (improbably rejuvenated). In fact, I think that should have been their 2007 marketing campaign: "The 2007 Blazers: Only two bad apples remain!"

But here's the thing, Blazers fans: You're going to miss the dysfunction. You're going to miss having an identity, even if that identity was a running joke that included the word "jail." You're going to miss waking up and reading stories like "One of our guys was berating people at a charity car wash yesterday," or having a buddy call you just to ask, "Guess who just got arrested with pot in his car?" You're going to miss wondering if two teammates are about to come to blows in the huddle, and you're definitely going to miss those wacky stories about pit-bull fights and guys trying to sneak marijuana through an airport security. Now you're just a fan of another NBA lottery team. You're nothing special. That's why you feel hollow inside. You're like Red after he gets out in "Shawshank" -- you can't make it on the outside. By December, you'll be rooting for Randolph to rob a gas station or something. Just remember we had this conversation.
This will also be the first NBA season in my lifetime without Red Auerbach around the Boston scene. Yes, there were a few seasons when he was pushed out by Coach Pitino, but he was always around. But not anymore. I don't know if his passing registers with people outside New England, but it's going to be a sad Opening Night for the Celtics tonight.

Dan_ref Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:10am

And speaking of Portland...

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/54499

Jimgolf Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias
This will also be the first NBA season in my lifetime without Red Auerbach around the Boston scene. Yes, there were a few seasons when he was pushed out by Coach Pitino, but he was always around. But not anymore. I don't know if his passing registers with people outside New England, but it's going to be a sad Opening Night for the Celtics tonight.

Even those who hated Red Auerbach respected him. He was a true giant of the game, and his legacy lives on. I hope he's having a spiritual victory cigar whereever he is now.

Rest in peace, Arnold.

rainmaker Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
And speaking of Portland...

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/54499

Good one, Dan. The Onion so often is right on!

Chuck, I've never watch the Shawshank Redemption, so I wouldn't know if it feels like that or not. But I gotta say, this is the first season in a long time I've contemplated buying tickets, or acquiring them somewhere. I'm not sure that writer really understands Portland very well. There is a whole cadre of people here who might really respond to the Blazers being the nice guys that finish last. It'll be interesting to see how it works itself out.

deecee Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:54pm

nice guys -- bad guys -- last place will always get you the same treatment and for that matter so will first.

No one ever says "Man those champions were a$$es" -- a$$holes that win championships are called "intense competitors". So what are the real intense competitors called? role players.

rockyroad Wed Nov 01, 2006 01:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee
nice guys -- bad guys -- last place will always get you the same treatment and for that matter so will first.

No one ever says "Man those champions were a$$es" -- a$$holes that win championships are called "intense competitors". So what are the real intense competitors called? role players.

I've said that many times before...the Lakers won championships, but Kobe was an a$$...Detroit won a championship, but Sheed was and still is a first-rate a$$...

I would rather watch these Blazers play hard and win 30 games than the Blazers of recent years who whined on the court, whined in the press, and whined while doing their community service. Like Juulie, I will actually buy tickets and attend games this season - something I haven't done in quite a few years.

Junker Wed Nov 01, 2006 01:22pm

I don't watch much NBA, but Bill Simmons, a columnist on ESPN.com Page 2 wrote a pretty funny and interesting NBA preview that raves about how great the new "no complaining" rule is from a fan's perspective. I'll post the link if I get a minute, I'm trying to eat my lunch right now.

Junker Wed Nov 01, 2006 01:28pm

Here's the link. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...s/part1/061101

He writes almost exclusively on pro sports which I don't watch often, but he is very funny.

tomegun Wed Nov 01, 2006 02:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad
...the Lakers won championships, but Kobe was an a$$...

Can you tell me what Kobe did that makes him an a$$?

If anything, we should feel sorry for Kobe. His upbringing may have caused him to have problems relating to people. It might not be he is an a$$, he might not know what to say to people.

Let me counter a few things before they are brought up.

1. If someone assumes the Kobe-Shaq feud was all Kobe's fault they are easily duped. Kobe and Buss realized Shaq needed to let Kobe be the man at this point in his career. Well, he did that in Miami and look how that turned out. Alonzo Mourning might have won finals MVP before Shaq! Also, Phil Jackson told Shaq he was a fat a$$ and his feelings got hurt. Pat Riley says the same thing and he loses weight. Shaq is a jolly big man and all, but in reality he may have some growing up to do.
2. If you believe the Colorado mess...

rockyroad Wed Nov 01, 2006 03:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun
2. If you believe the Colorado mess...

Are you saying that you DON"T believe the Colorado mess??? Wow...he fools around with another woman, gets caught (whether it was rape or not is up in the air) and buys his wife something like a million bucks worth of jewelry to "make up for it"...but he's not an a$$???

tomegun Wed Nov 01, 2006 04:39pm

OK, you got me (isn't that the second time in a week?), he is an a$$ for cheating on his wife. Oh, and he is a dumb a$$ for marrying her in the first place - but that is another subject.
Does the public view other players like Jordan as a$$ for doing the same thing. It is wrong, we don't have an argument about that. I just don't think the fact that Kobe cheated on his wife is the reason people consider him an a$$.

rockyroad Wed Nov 01, 2006 05:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun
OK, you got me (isn't that the second time in a week?), he is an a$$ for cheating on his wife. Oh, and he is a dumb a$$ for marrying her in the first place - but that is another subject.
Does the public view other players like Jordan as a$$ for doing the same thing. It is wrong, we don't have an argument about that. I just don't think the fact that Kobe cheated on his wife is the reason people consider him an a$$.

Can't speak for anyone but myself, but that's why I consider Kobe an a$$...and I consider Jordan an a$$ for cheating on his wife and for all the gambling he does/did...they are both very talented a$$es, but still a$$es!!

I think Kobe does himself in with some of the public comments he makes - like most of these moron "superstars" who only want to talk about themselves or how much better they are than the other moron "superstars"...Iverson is the same way...

tomegun Wed Nov 01, 2006 05:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad
Can't speak for anyone but myself, but that's why I consider Kobe an a$$...and I consider Jordan an a$$ for cheating on his wife and for all the gambling he does/did...they are both very talented a$$es, but still a$$es!!

I think Kobe does himself in with some of the public comments he makes - like most of these moron "superstars" who only want to talk about themselves or how much better they are than the other moron "superstars"...Iverson is the same way...

Interesting comments. I think fans place these guys on a pedestal and expect more than they get. What is the difference between Kobe and someone who is an expert landscaper? One can play basketball well and the other can do landscaping well. Why should I expect the one who plays basketball to say something profound when a microphone is shoved in their face? When did the ability to shoot a basketball include the ability to have moral standards? That is what the rest of us, well some of us, would like to think, but it isn't the case.
I remember when Kevin Garnett was drafted. He could barely put a sentence together. That did not hinder him from playing the game though.
Kobe is no more an a$$ than the mailman who is getting some on the side. Our society just looks in the wrong place for values. Parents and teachers should be more responsible. I firmly believe that all teachers' salary should get doubled at least. That way, bad teachers would be forced out and good teachers would want to teach. Our society would benefit from it! My opinion and my two cents.

LarryS Wed Nov 01, 2006 05:45pm

I have a whole other take of the "a$$" issue. I couldn't care less what an entertainer (be it an actor/actress on the big or small screen or professional athlete) does or says away from their profession. If they are part of an entertainment event that I want to spend money to see...I go...in not, I stay home.

You see, in some ways most people would be considered an a$$ by someone. I don't put them on a pedestal and always told my children not to get caught up in that. I taught my kids right and wrong when they were growing up...and reinforce that every chance I get (they are 24 and 18). I will say that both admit to having several role models...me, my wife, her parents and my father. Other than those, I have never heard either of them say they wanted to emulate anyone else.

Entertainer and athletes are human and will make mistakes...and like most other groups of people...there will be some that are alive simply because it is against the law to kill them.

agmattbballref Wed Nov 01, 2006 08:12pm

nba officiating

I have had the opportunity to watch a couple of nba games and preseason games, if for nothing else an opportunity to watch the officials....probably the main reason for watching. I have been impressed with the modified officiating stance the officials seem to be taking this season. It seems that they are more consistent with calling violations for traveling and illegal dribbles and there seems to be more consistent calls in regards to blocks where defensive players are not being allowed to flop or being required to establish legal guarding position in order to get the offensive calls....of course it is early in the season and my opinions are based on watching some part of a total of three games. I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed these trends.