The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Technical Foul (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/29214-technical-foul.html)

actuary77 Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:56pm

Technical Foul

Quick question...

I know the general rule:
Live ball = common, intentional or flagrant foul
Dead ball = technical fall

What if a coach/player keeps barking at an official when the ball is live, and finally crosses the line for a T. Do I need to wait for the next dead ball to issue the T or should I just stop the play and call it then?

Same question if a player/coach utters a profanity loud enough to be heard by a lot of people, even though it's not directed at the official.

Jurassic Referee Tue Oct 31, 2006 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by actuary77
Quick question...

I know the general rule:

What if a coach/player keeps barking at an official when the ball is live, and finally crosses the line for a T. Do I need to wait for the next dead ball to issue the T or should I just stop the play and call it then?

Same question if a player/coach utters a profanity loud enough to be heard by a lot of people, even though it's not directed at the official.

- live ball = common, intentional or flagrant personal foul for contact.
- live ball= normal or flagrant technical foul for unsporting non-contact behavior.

Stop the play as soon as the coach commits the act. Rules reference is NFHS 4-19-5(d) for the coach. That's a direct technical btw.

From a POE in the 2004-05 rule book--<i>"The team huddle is not a safe haven for coaches' bad language."</i> The NFHS wants the "T" called if the profanity is audible.

deecee Tue Oct 31, 2006 01:20pm

however one caveat is that should blue coach say something that warrants a T and red is on a fastbreak -- by all means hold your whistle for a second while red gets their easy layup -- then blow and T. Dont take an easy 2 away from red simply for the T -- its at your discretion so make the T worth it.

Adam Tue Oct 31, 2006 01:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by actuary77
Quick question...

I know the general rule:

This general rule really only applies to contact fouls. Unsporting behavior has no such limitation.

Junker Tue Oct 31, 2006 01:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee
however one caveat is that should blue coach say something that warrants a T and red is on a fastbreak -- by all means hold your whistle for a second while red gets their easy layup -- then blow and T. Dont take an easy 2 away from red simply for the T -- its at your discretion so make the T worth it.

I'm glad someone included this. You beat me to it.