The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Not Basketball, But Another Parent on the Field (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/29118-not-basketball-but-another-parent-field.html)

bigdogrunnin Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:40am

Not Basketball, But Another Parent on the Field

Click on the link below, or copy and paste into the URL space on your browser. Saw this on MSNBC last night, and got this link this morning.

http://www.turnto23.com/news/1014234...0581&qs=1;bp=t

GoodwillRef Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin
Click on the link below, or copy and paste into the URL space on your browser. Saw this on MSNBC last night, and got this link this morning.

http://www.turnto23.com/news/1014234...0581&qs=1;bp=t

One more reason why you never lay your hands on a player.

Junker Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:26pm

One more reason to get rid of youth sports.

GoodwillRef Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junker

Just get rid of the parents!

JRutledge Fri Oct 27, 2006 01:49am

Quote:

AMEN!!!

Peace

JugglingReferee Fri Oct 27, 2006 06:22am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rut
AMEN!!!

Think again.

GoodwillRef Fri Oct 27, 2006 06:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Think again.

I don't think he was really serious, we all need to learn to have a sense of humor sometimes. We are all going to have high blood pressure.

Think Happy Thoughts!

Junker Fri Oct 27, 2006 09:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
I don't think he was really serious, we all need to learn to have a sense of humor sometimes. We are all going to have high blood pressure.

Think Happy Thoughts!

Actually I'm serious about your idea. Keep the sports, get rid of the parents. I teach 5th grade and since my students know I am around athletics all the time (I do football and baseball as well) they often come to me with their stories about yelling parents and coahces in their youth leagues. I tell them to use those as examples of how sportsmanship shouldn't look.
:D

Jimgolf Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:08am

No need to get rid of youth sports, just get rid of parents, officials, coaches, game management, anyone that wants to set up an official championship of any kind, media, cameras, etc.

Let the kids play. Put an EMT in the playground and let 'em go!

I got next!

Junker Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:14am

Well said Jim. I don't think players learn to enjoy the game as much with all of the organization these days. I was emphasizing to my class just the other day that we use the term "play sports" so they should be fun.

JRutledge Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:56pm

When I was a kid we played in my backyard or in someone else's back yard and played football, baseball, soccer, basketball and any other sport we could think of. We did not have parents anywhere in sight. I did not play many organized sports at all until I was in HS. You could blow it up and I would not be hurt. I used to think youth sports were helpful to kids, but the more I hear about these incidents, the more I begin to change my mind.

Peace

dave30 Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:56pm

I think organized sports is fun for kids, but people do go way overboard. I think the majority of the practice kids get should be on the playground with each other and maybe play organized games one night per week. The best way to do it would be to allow one or two parents from each team to go and videotape the game. Then they can all sit around together later and watch the game with their kids and gripe about the referees all they want.

Adam Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave30
I think organized sports is fun for kids, but people do go way overboard. I think the majority of the practice kids get should be on the playground with each other and maybe play organized games one night per week. The best way to do it would be to allow one or two parents from each team to go and videotape the game. Then they can all sit around together later and watch the game with their kids and gripe about the referees all they want.

Maybe we could video tape the parents watching the game and make them watch the tape two days later; just to show them how juvenile they act.

dave30 Mon Oct 30, 2006 03:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Maybe we could video tape the parents watching the game and make them watch the tape two days later; just to show them how juvenile they act.

good idea!

26 Year Gap Mon Oct 30, 2006 07:26am

I know of two morons in particular at an AAU game where a camera focused on their antics would've been great. Fortunately, game management there was all over it. I will go back to that tournament next year.