The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NFHS 2006 Part 1 TEST (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/29108-nfhs-2006-part-1-test.html)

WhistlesAndStripes Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:35pm

NFHS 2006 Part 1 TEST

WOW!! Haven't logged in in a couple of weeks, and all of the sudden when I do, I see that I've got 16 private messages. I start reading em, and they're all requests for the test.

Well folks, I don't have it yet this year, but if anyone does, answers or no answers, and wants to send it to me, I'd be happy to do the distribution again. Mainly just to piss off all of the "holier then thou" attitudes on this board.:p

Some of the comments that came with the requests about some of the "holier then thou" people were rather humorous. And quite frankly, some of you "holier hen thous" would probably be pretty surprised at some of your fellow requestors. But I ain't naming any names.

Again, if someone wants to send it to me, I'll be the distributor.

GoodwillRef Thu Oct 26, 2006 05:44am

Last time I checked officiating was based on some professionalism and ethical behavior. If anyone asked for the test or the answers before their given association actually sends it to them should look in the mirror and question why they officiate. I am not saying a better than you but since I didn't ask for the test or the answers I guess IMO and many others on this site I (we) am better than you!

Jurassic Referee Thu Oct 26, 2006 06:03am

At it again, eh BushRef? You know, there's really is a reason that you've been thrown off this forum four(4) times to date and also had to change your name the same four(4) times to resume posting. That reason is that you're a low-rent integrity-free azzhole with the morals of a snake.

Of course, I also realize that nothing that I say will ever change your thinking anyway, Bush. People like you <b>never</b> change. I see that you already posted on September 17 this year, begging somebody to send you the NFHS basketball exam. I also see that you posted on another forum on August 14 also, begging someone...anyone....to send you the NFHS Volleyball exam. I haven't checked out the Football forum yet, but if you're holding true to form, you've already begged for that exam too. Heaven's forbid that you actually study and write an exam. That's just way too hard, isn't it.

Start posting, all of you one-post-a-year-only cheating jerks just like our BushRef. Hurry up and get this year's exam before you have to write it. Don't forget to put on your request "I'm just doing this for study purpose only". Nobody will believe you, but, hey, if it'll make you feel better, go for it. It gives me something to do anyway after you post.

What exams do you have to write to get certified way up there in Alaska anyway, Busher? Oh, never mind answering. I'll e-mail the ASAA and ask them myself; maybe I'll link to some of your requests and comments on this forum also. You're still on the Kenai Peninsula, south of Anchorage, aren't you? I'll let you know what the ASAA's view of you is; it shouldn't be too hard for them to figure out who you are. I'm sure that the ASAA will agree that you're doing just a great job representing all Alaska sports officials.

Jurassic Referee Thu Oct 26, 2006 06:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
Last time I checked officiating was based on some professionalism and ethical behavior. If anyone asked for the test or the answers before their given association actually sends it to them should look in the mirror and question why they officiate. I am not saying a better than you but since I didn't ask for the test or the answers I guess IMO and many others on this site I (we) am better than you!

You're better than him, GoodWill.

Believe me, you're better than him.

tomegun Thu Oct 26, 2006 06:23am

I have to ask, what does it mean to "write" a test?

bob jenkins Thu Oct 26, 2006 06:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun
I have to ask, what does it mean to "write" a test?

It's a synonym for "take a test".

JRutledge Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:39am

Quote:

Last time I checked officiating was based on some professionalism and ethical behavior.

It is unprofessional for someone to give out a test that they are going to see in a matter of days?

Quote:

If anyone asked for the test or the answers before their given association actually sends it to them should look in the mirror and question why they officiate.

If someone is asking for the test where I live, it is likely they did not get their copy in the mail yet. Since our officiating packets are sent out by 3rd class mail (which means the mail carrier can deliver the mail anytime they get ready), there are many times when people go weeks without receiving them. It is a common practice for us to hand out the test to those who have not received them in the mail. We have until November 20 to complete the test. And if someone really wanted to, they can also take the test online before they get the rulebooks. It just would help if someone had the current rulebooks so they can look up yearly changes.

Quote:

I am not saying a better than you but since I didn't ask for the test or the answers I guess IMO and many others on this site I (we) am better than you!

You just need to get the stick out of your *** and stop thinking that the standards you live with for taking the test are not the same standards the rest of us are under.

Peace

Jurassic Referee Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge

You just need to get the stick out of your *** and stop thinking that the standards you live with for taking the test are not the same standards <font color = red>the rest of us are under</font>.

What do you mean "the rest of <font color = red>us</font>"?

I'm one of the "rest of us" and I certainly disagree with you.

Aren't you really saying that <b>your</b> standards are different than other posters?

GoodwillRef Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:58am

Quote:

It is unprofessional for someone to give out a test that they are going to see in a matter of days?

If someone is asking for the test where I live, it is likely they did not get their copy in the mail yet. Since our officiating packets are sent out by 3rd class mail (which means the mail carrier can deliver the mail anytime they get ready), there are many times when people go weeks without receiving them. It is a common practice for us to hand out the test to those who have not received them in the mail. We have until November 20 to complete the test. And if someone really wanted to, they can also take the test online before they get the rulebooks. It just would help if someone had the current rulebooks so they can look up yearly changes.

You just need to get the stick out of your *** and stop thinking that the standards you live with for taking the test are not the same standards the rest of us are under.

Peace

Professional, Ethical, and High Standards...if you are going to criticize me for the having all of these go right ahead. I can sleep at night just fine.

JRutledge Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
What do you mean "the rest of <font color = red>us</font>"?

I'm one of the "rest of us" and I certainly disagree with you.

Aren't you really saying that <b>your</b> standards are different than other posters?

Maybe the term the "rest of us" was a bad usage of words. What I was talking about were everyone in my state and many others based on what I have read on this form. Many people do not even take the Part 1 exam for anything but for study reasons. The Part 2 Exam is used as their "qualification" test. So for someone to talk about "professionalism" and "ethics" when we all do not fall under the same standards of taking tests is a bit much.

I know this is not going to convince those who have a very closed mind of what these tests are. I am just tired of the generalizations that these tests are used the exact same way. I know not everyone has the same standards to get a drivers license (or any license issued by a state for that matter) not sure why people expect one test to be used the same across the country.

Peace

JRutledge Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:13pm

Quote:

Professional, Ethical, and High Standards...if you are going to criticize me for the having all of these go right ahead. I can sleep at night just fine.

I am accusing you of having "wrong standards." High standards are going to vary from one place to another. I bet if we talked about how you dress going to games those standards would vary greatly across the country.

Peace

GoodwillRef Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:21pm

Quote:

I am accusing you of having "wrong standards." High standards are going to vary from one place to another. I bet if we talked about how you dress going to games those standards would vary greatly across the country.

Peace

You are probably right on that also, are you pressing your Nike sweatsuit for your next game?

JRutledge Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:40pm

Quote:

You are probably right on that also, are you pressing your Nike sweatsuit for your next game?

Actually I wear suits and very nice slacks (when working varsity night games). Most of the time I do not wear a tie, but I will wear polo style shirts with an association name on it or something related to officiating or basketball officiating on it. If I ever wear jeans (which is almost never), I do so when all my other pants are at the cleaners. I can tell you I am largely the best dressed official around. Now those were the standards I came up with and were taught, but I do not challenge anyone's professionalism because I do something different or have a different standard.

Peace

LarryS Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:41pm

You know...Part I for us is open book and we have 3 weeks between the time we are given the questions and answer sheet to the day we have to turn in the answer sheet. Or we can take it on line on the state association web site...where your progress can be saved and you can take as longs as 6 weeks to answer the 50 questions.

For lots of officials, they take it in a group and discuss each question. All 90% of my chapter is worried about is a getting at least a 70 so they are eligible for playoffs. Part 2 is never used. The only "certification" you need beyond that of a 1st year official to get varsity or playoff games is the confidence of the assignment secretary that you wont step on the floor and ruin the game.

Given all the above...the vast majority feel sharing the answers is no big deal.

I've already submitted my test online. Last year it took a couple of weeks to get the grade. Therefore I would like to have the answers so I can grade my own...I'm not known as being someone who likes to wait :D. Can I wait for the online grade...Yep...Do I want to...NOPE.

GoodwillRef Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:51pm

Quote:

Actually I wear suits and very nice slacks (when working varsity night games). Most of the time I do not wear a tie, but I will wear polo style shirts with an association name on it or something related to officiating or basketball officiating on it. If I ever wear jeans (which is almost never), I do so when all my other pants are at the cleaners. I can tell you I am largely the best dressed official around. Now those were the standards I came up with and were taught, but I do not challenge anyone's professionalism because I do something different or have a different standard.

Peace

Thanks, I hope you knew the Nike Sweatsuit shot was not serious.

JRutledge Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:58pm

Quote:

Thanks, I hope you knew the Nike Sweatsuit shot was not serious.

I did not take it seriously at all. I just wanted you to know that all standards do not apply when you think they should.

Peace

GoodwillRef Thu Oct 26, 2006 01:00pm

Quote:

I did not take it seriously at all. I just wanted you to know that all standards do not apply when you think they should.

Peace

They apply in the world "I" live in, and that is the only world I am concerned with.

tomegun Thu Oct 26, 2006 01:25pm

Uh...(with raised hand) when did professionalism - other than how you carry yourself during a game - and ethics become part of officiating? This is pretty entertaining actually.
It seems like no credit was given for those who don't take this test as a closed book exam. Also, credit wasn't given to those who don't take the test at all. Finally, credit wasn't given for those who are too lazy :D to do the test. I got the test early and finished it without problem so I don't care one way or the other.
Yes, I can see where ethics and professionalism should apply to the test and I agree 100%. However, it is laughable to apply those standards to one part of officiating when they are not applied across the board.

JRutledge Thu Oct 26, 2006 01:41pm

Quote:

Uh...(with raised hand) when did professionalism - other than how you carry yourself during a game - and ethics become part of officiating? This is pretty entertaining actually.
It seems like no credit was given for those who don't take this test as a closed book exam. Also, credit wasn't given to those who don't take the test at all. Finally, credit wasn't given for those who are too lazy :D to do the test. I got the test early and finished it without problem so I don't care one way or the other.
Yes, I can see where ethics and professionalism should apply to the test and I agree 100%. However, it is laughable to apply those standards to one part of officiating when they are not applied across the board.

I completely agree.

Peace

rockyroad Thu Oct 26, 2006 03:04pm

Quote:

Uhmmm, I am confused (yes, it happens all the time)...since when have ethics and professionalism NOT been an expected part of officiating?? Tomegun, could you explain what you mean here?

tomegun Thu Oct 26, 2006 03:10pm

I mean it is expected of us on the court, but that is where that expectation ends.

ChuckElias Thu Oct 26, 2006 03:18pm

Quote:

I mean it is expected of us on the court, but that is where that expectation ends.

I'm pretty sure I disagree with this. Don't you remember the story from Mickey's camp about the D1 official who was out to dinner with another official and was bad-mouthing a coach and team? Turns out that school's AD was sitting in the next booth. Guess who wasn't at that team's next game?

rockyroad Thu Oct 26, 2006 03:21pm

Quote:

Seriously? So sitting in the stands during the JV game doesn't apply? Or in the parking lot as we are leaving a game site? Or at association meetings? I guess I just disagree and feel that part of being an official is being professional about every aspect of it...example: not griping about schedules - "I didn't get the big game Friday night, XYZ got it. That's not right." That sort of thing is very unprofessional and shouldn't be going on...maybe that's just me, but I would like to think it's more widespread than not...

tomegun Thu Oct 26, 2006 03:44pm

OK, you guys both have good points so let me correct myself and say that unethical things are done all the time in the officiating world as a whole. You guys are both right about officials' conduct, but that isn't what I had in mind.

Camron Rust Thu Oct 26, 2006 03:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
It's a synonym for "take a test".

... a very old and almost obsolete synonym. ;)

WhistlesAndStripes Thu Oct 26, 2006 03:49pm

Quote:

At it again, eh BushRef? You know, there's really is a reason that you've been thrown off this forum four(4) times to date and also had to change your name the same four(4) times to resume posting. That reason is that you're a low-rent integrity-free azzhole with the morals of a snake.

Of course, I also realize that nothing that I say will ever change your thinking anyway, Bush. People like you <b>never</b> change. I see that you already posted on September 17 this year, begging somebody to send you the NFHS basketball exam. I also see that you posted on another forum on August 14 also, begging someone...anyone....to send you the NFHS Volleyball exam. I haven't checked out the Football forum yet, but if you're holding true to form, you've already begged for that exam too. Heaven's forbid that you actually study and write an exam. That's just way too hard, isn't it.

Start posting, all of you one-post-a-year-only cheating jerks just like our BushRef. Hurry up and get this year's exam before you have to write it. Don't forget to put on your request "I'm just doing this for study purpose only". Nobody will believe you, but, hey, if it'll make you feel better, go for it. It gives me something to do anyway after you post.

What exams do you have to write to get certified way up there in Alaska anyway, Busher? Oh, never mind answering. I'll e-mail the ASAA and ask them myself; maybe I'll link to some of your requests and comments on this forum also. You're still on the Kenai Peninsula, south of Anchorage, aren't you? I'll let you know what the ASAA's view of you is; it shouldn't be too hard for them to figure out who you are. I'm sure that the ASAA will agree that you're doing just a great job representing all Alaska sports officials.

You're killoing me Woody. Can someone get me some popcorn please? :D

Camron Rust Thu Oct 26, 2006 03:58pm

Quote:

Peace

How someone dresses vs. taking a test are apples and oranges. They may both standards but of a different nature.

Underdressing is not unethical. Perhaps unprofessional, but not unethical. Plus the manner of dress says absolutely nothing about the ability or character of the person.

Submitting answers to a test obtained in a manner not in line with the intentions of the testing body is unethical...its cheating. For example, If the organization administering the tests expects to hand out the test and have it's members take it on the spot, it would be unethical for any of those members to obtain the test or its answers prior to that time. It would also be unethical for someone to knowingly provide such a person with the test or its answers.

These principles are not variable or subjective. They are the basic to the definitions or honor and integrity.

Jurassic Referee Thu Oct 26, 2006 04:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
You're killoing me Woody. Can someone get me some popcorn please?

Do the initials JA and FA mean anything to you, Bush?

rockyroad Thu Oct 26, 2006 04:01pm

Quote:

OK, you guys both have good points so let me correct myself and say that unethical things are done all the time in the officiating world as a whole. You guys are both right about officials' conduct, but that isn't what I had in mind.

Pretty much what I thought you were getting at...just wanted to make sure I understood where you were coming from. Thanks...

WhistlesAndStripes Thu Oct 26, 2006 04:02pm

Quote:

Do the initials JA and FA mean anything to you, Bush?

Not a thing.

Jurassic Referee Thu Oct 26, 2006 04:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust

Submitting answers to a test obtained in a manner not in line with the intentions of the testing body is unethical...its cheating. For example, If the organization administering the tests expects to hand out the test and have it's members take it on the spot, it would be unethical for any of those members to obtain the test or its answers prior to that time. It would also be unethical for someone to knowingly provide such a person with the test or its answers.

These principles are not variable or subjective. <font color = red>They are the basic to the definitions of honor and integrity</font>.

Well said.<i></i>

Jurassic Referee Thu Oct 26, 2006 04:05pm

Quote:

Not a thing.

Never know. They might some day.:D

JRutledge Thu Oct 26, 2006 04:41pm

Quote:

How someone dresses vs. taking a test are apples and oranges. They may both standards but of a different nature.

Underdressing is not unethical. Perhaps unprofessional, but not unethical. Plus the manner of dress says absolutely nothing about the ability or character of the person.

I did not say anything about how you dress as being unethical. I only talked about dress in the context of how things will vary based on where you live and the level you are working. When I work college games it is expected that we wear suits and much more than we do at the HS level. And at the college level Hank Nichols made it clear it was OK for those to take the NCAA test with people "sitting right next to you at your computer, I do not care." So let us relax on what is "unethical" when the standards are not always the same across the board.

Quote:

The testing body for most of us is the state or local association that you belong to. It is not the NF. The NF produces a test and each state choice to use it how they see fit. There are states that make their own test for qualification purposes. How can someone be unethical in getting a copy or giving out a copy of a test their state does not even use?

Quote:

These principles are not variable or subjective. They are the basic to the definitions or honor and integrity.

They are very subjective and variable in many ways. We are just going to have to disagree on this one (what else is new). Until you can show me in the code of ethics there is something specific to the test, then it is very subjective what rules apply to a test.

Peace

WhistlesAndStripes Thu Oct 26, 2006 05:13pm

Quote:

Never know. They might some day.:D

Are you talking about Joe Anderson and Frank Adamson, 2 members of our local volleyball association? I can't imagine you've ever talked to them though.

Jurassic Referee Thu Oct 26, 2006 05:31pm

Quote:

The testing body for most of us is the state or local association that you belong to. It is not the NF. The NF produces a test and each state choice to use it how they see fit. There are states that make their own test for qualification purposes. How can someone be unethical in getting a copy or giving out a copy of a test their state does not even use?

They are very subjective and variable in many ways. We are just going to have to disagree on this one (what else is new). Until you can show me in the code of ethics there is something specific to the test, then it is very subjective what rules apply to a test.

How about getting the test early that the state actually <b>does</b> use? Let's take Alaska,for example...the home of Whistles&Stripes.

Alaska uses the exact same NFHS exam that ol' W&S has been looking for since mid-September. The ASAA sends the exam and the blank answer sheet to each official, and then that completed answer sheet has to be mailed in. The ASAA then marks the exam and sends the mark and sheet back to each official. A passing grade for certification is 75%, but you can't work state tournaments without being certified.

As for the "Code of Ethics", the following is posted on the appropriate ASAA web page--- <b>"Tests are NOT released prior to the NFHS release date".</b> Of course, that doesn't apply to ol' W&S getting the test e-mailed to him. Naw.....

http://www.asaa.org/officials/index.html

I'll let you know shortly when Alaska actually mails the test out(mid-September, Bush?:) ) and when they expect it back. I've asked for that info.

Camron Rust Thu Oct 26, 2006 09:00pm

Quote:

I did not say anything about how you dress as being unethical. I only talked about dress in the context of how things will vary based on where you live and the level you are working. When I work college games it is expected that we wear suits and much more than we do at the HS level.

I'm not the one that brought how a person dresses when arriving at the game into the discussion. You did. Don't bring it up if it is not relevant.

Quote:

And at the college level Hank Nichols made it clear it was OK for those to take the NCAA test with people "sitting right next to you at your computer, I do not care." So let us relax on what is "unethical" when the standards are not always the same across the board.

That is orthoganal to the discussion. We were talking about knowingly providing the test to those whose organizations DO require that they take it without prior access.

Quote:

Again, you're completely missing the point. We're talking about people that DO use the test.

Quote:

Peace

I can't believe you even think you have a viable stance on such a simple point.

From http://www.naso.org/benefits/ethics.htm
Sports Officials Code of Ethics

The National Association of Sports Officials believes the duty of sports officials is to act as impartial judges of sport competitions. We believe this duty carries with it an obligation to perform with accuracy, fairness and objectivity through an overriding sense of integrity.
Because of their authority and autonomy, officials must have a high degree of commitment and expertise. NASO believes these facts impose on sports officials the higher ethical standard by which true professionals are judged.
Officials who are "professionals" voluntarily observe a high level of conduct, not because of fear of penalty, but rather out of personal character. ...
This conduct has as its foundation a deep sense of moral values and use of reason which substantiate the belief a given conduct is proper simply because it is.

ARTICLE IV
Sports officials have a responsibility to continuously seek self-improvement through study of the game, rules, mechanics and the techniques of game management. They have a responsibility to accurately represent their qualifications and abilities when requesting or accepting officiating assignments.

There you have it...in writing. Submitting a test that has answers obtained through methods other than intended by the testing organization is a manner that does not accurately represent an officials qualifications or ability. Many states have a minimun score needed to work games and cheating on the test to work games is in direct conflict with this code of ethics.
ARTICLE V

Sports officials shall protect the public (fans, administrators, coaches, players, et al.) from inappropriate conduct and shall attempt to eliminate from the officiating avocation/profession all practices which bring discredit to it.

Just like gambling, cheating on a test brings into serious question the integrity of the official. If they're going to lie about one thing related to officiating the game, what's to stop them with other topics. Will they favor a team who's coach is a family friend? Will they hang a partner out in order to make the look bad for their own benefit? Will they lie about their partners to obtain a better assignment?

JRutledge Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:53pm

Quote:

How about getting the test early that the state actually <b>does</b> use? Let's take Alaska,for example...the home of Whistles&Stripes.

Alaska uses the exact same NFHS exam that ol' W&S has been looking for since mid-September. The ASAA sends the exam and the blank answer sheet to each official, and then that completed answer sheet has to be mailed in. The ASAA then marks the exam and sends the mark and sheet back to each official. A passing grade for certification is 75%, but you can't work state tournaments without being certified.

As for the "Code of Ethics", the following is posted on the appropriate ASAA web page--- <b>"Tests are NOT released prior to the NFHS release date".</b> Of course, that doesn't apply to ol' W&S getting the test e-mailed to him. Naw.....

http://www.asaa.org/officials/index.html

I'll let you know shortly when Alaska actually mails the test out(mid-September, Bush?:) ) and when they expect it back. I've asked for that info.

I do not live in Alaska, I do not care what Alaska says. That is something Alaska is going to have to deal with. For the record I have not given out the test and I live in Illinois and there is no such mandate. The test is made public to us online and this year it came out before my birthday in late September.

Peace

JRutledge Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:39pm

Quote:

I'm not the one that brought how a person dresses when arriving at the game into the discussion. You did. Don't bring it up if it is not relevant.

Camron, I brought up the way someone dresses as an example to address the differences in what is seen as professional. Just because you think it does not matter does not mean I have to agree with you.

Quote:

That is orthoganal to the discussion. We were talking about knowingly providing the test to those whose organizations DO require that they take it without prior access.

Camron, I am sure there are people that are reading this that have no idea what the requirements of other states are. Until I started reading this board, I never knew of how different states and associations handled these kinds of situations.

Quote:

Again, you're completely missing the point. We're talking about people that DO use the test.

Camron, I do not care what other people do with the test. If any organization is afraid of their officials getting a copy of the test, then they need to change how they distribute the test or how they administer the test. Or make the test an open book test like my state and do not sweat the details.

Quote:

I can't believe you even think you have a viable stance on such a simple point.

Camron, most officials that I come in direct contact with, think the rules tests are mainly a formality and not a judge of officiating ability. If you feel they are vital to officiating ability and rules knowledge, I see why you feel the way you do. I do not feel the same way you do and I do not look at this issue anywhere near the way you do. This is why there are Republicans and Democrats, people do not see all issues the same way no matter how many ways you want to frame the issue.

Quote:

From http://www.naso.org/benefits/ethics.htm
Sports Officials Code of Ethics

The National Association of Sports Officials believes the duty of sports officials is to act as impartial judges of sport competitions. We believe this duty carries with it an obligation to perform with accuracy, fairness and objectivity through an overriding sense of integrity.
Because of their authority and autonomy, officials must have a high degree of commitment and expertise. NASO believes these facts impose on sports officials the higher ethical standard by which true professionals are judged.
Officials who are "professionals" voluntarily observe a high level of conduct, not because of fear of penalty, but rather out of personal character. ...
This conduct has as its foundation a deep sense of moral values and use of reason which substantiate the belief a given conduct is proper simply because it is.

BTW, everyone is not a NASO Member, so I really do not know why this is even relevant to this discussion, but I will play along I guess.

Quote:

ARTICLE IV
Sports officials have a responsibility to continuously seek self-improvement through study of the game, rules, mechanics and the techniques of game management. They have a responsibility to accurately represent their qualifications and abilities when requesting or accepting officiating assignments.

There you have it...in writing. Submitting a test that has answers obtained through methods other than intended by the testing organization is a manner that does not accurately represent an officials qualifications or ability. Many states have a minimun score needed to work games and cheating on the test to work games is in direct conflict with this code of ethics.
ARTICLE V

I have never had a single assignor at any level ask me or any of my partners about what score they got on a test. As a matter of fact I have never been asked about any of the issues related to ratings, test scores or any thing of that kind. What is asked is how long you have worked, who do you currently work for and what levels you have worked? Then based on what you tell them and what the assignor feels about your ability, you get hired. I do not even see how this is even relevant. I guess you live in a place where the test scores affect your assignments. I live in no such system. So I do not know what you are talking about. If people are living in a system where their test score is a factor, then I feel sorry for those officials. You should be judged on your court ability, the way you look as an official (can you get up and down the floor) and your experience.

Quote:

Sports officials shall protect the public (fans, administrators, coaches, players, et al.) from inappropriate conduct and shall attempt to eliminate from the officiating avocation/profession all practices which bring discredit to it.

Once again I do not understand how giving out a test (not the answers) in any way is a bad thing? If you do not want people to see the test, make a test that is not public all over the country. You cannot keep anything like that a secret. Or you could do what a lot of states do for professional licenses exams. Require that everyone take the exam at a local site, computerize the test with random questions and you will not have to worry about who passes the test. Wait a minute, even in professional licensing tests for a state license has classes that teach testers how to beat the test and not learn the material. I guess that is cheating to when the state in many jurisdictions licenses the testing courses that teach you how to get the right answers. Never mind.

Quote:

Just like gambling, cheating on a test brings into serious question the integrity of the official. If they're going to lie about one thing related to officiating the game, what's to stop them with other topics. Will they favor a team who's coach is a family friend? Will they hang a partner out in order to make the look bad for their own benefit? Will they lie about their partners to obtain a better assignment?

All these things you referenced did not talk about test taking directly or the process to take a test. They talked about integrity, but that is very subjective. Some people think you might lack integrity if you live in the same town of a school that you work a game. Or you should not work a game if you knew a coach for a long time. Once again, you have shown nothing that is concrete or absolute other than what you personally think. Also they talk about morals but morals are very personal and what someone might think is wrong, another feels is just and moral. Cameron, you and I over the years have disagreed on many things and the way I do things or feel is commonly accepted where I live and across the state. So if you feel this is unethical, you have that right. You are just not going to change my mind. This is a public forum and the test in question is taken across the country. If people want that kind of consideration, change the process and you will not have to worry about people taken advantage of this loop hole.

Peace

Jurassic Referee Fri Oct 27, 2006 06:39am

Quote:

1) That is something Alaska is going to have to deal with.

2) For the record I have not given out the test and I live in Illinois and there is no such mandate. The test is made <font color = red>public to us online</font> and this year it came out before my birthday in late September.

1) Agree.:)

2) A better choice of words might be "<b>private</b> to you online". The test is passwod-protected, isn't it? That means that the exam is not meant or intended for the general public, and it is also <b>not</b> available to the general public (including officials from other states) through the IHSA web site. As for the "mandate", I'm also quite sure that the IHSA never intended for Illinois officials to send that exam out to officials in 49 other states that might not have written the exact same NFHS exam in their home state/association yet.

Jurassic Referee Fri Oct 27, 2006 07:52am

Quote:

Camron, I do not care what other people do with the test. If any organization is afraid of their officials getting a copy of the test, then they need to change how they distribute the test or how they administer the test. Or make the test an open book test like my state and do not sweat the details.

Question?

According to the IHSA website, to advance in classification in Illinois from a "recognized" official to a "certified" official, you must go to a designated site and write a proctored, <b>closed-book</b> two-hour max exam. You must pass that exam with at least an 85% score. Correct?

Now, that particular exam is the NFHS Part II exam. It is to be written on November 20th. in Illinois this year. Do you feel that it would be OK for an Illinois official to post on this site before November 20th., asking for someone to send him the NFHS Part II exam and answers? Do you also feel that it's OK, if you had that exam and answers, to then send that exam and answers to other Illinois officials before November 20th.? If Michigan officials were writing the same FED exam closed-book for certification or advancement on November 30th., would it be OK for you to pass your exam and answers along to them also before November 30th.?

tjones1 Fri Oct 27, 2006 09:28am

http://www.plumparty.com/Merchant2/g...ge/22POPC1.jpg

Anyone know where I can get more?!?

tjones1 Fri Oct 27, 2006 09:30am

Quote:

Question?

According to the IHSA website, to advance in classification in Illinois from a "recognized" official to a "certified" official, you must go to a designated site and write a proctored, <b>closed-book</b> two-hour max exam. You must pass that exam with at least an 85% score. Correct?

Now, that particular exam is the NFHS Part II exam. It is to be written on November 20th. in Illinois this year. Do you feel that it would be OK for an Illinois official to post on this site before November 20th., asking for someone to send him the NFHS Part II exam and answers? Do you also feel that it's OK, if you had that exam and answers, to then send that exam and answers to other Illinois officials before November 20th.? If Michigan officials were writing the same FED exam closed-book for certification or advancement on November 30th., would it be OK for you to pass your exam and answers along to them also before November 30th.?

JR,

Sort of, to go to recognized you have to go to the site, however, the Part II exam is still open book. From recognized to certified is a closed book exam. And yes, must get an 85% either way.

Jurassic Referee Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1
JR,

Sort of, to go to recognized you have to go to the site, however, the Part II exam is still open book. From recognized to certified is a closed book exam. And yes, must get an 85% either way.

To attain a "certified" rating, on top of getting at least 85% on Part II, don't you also have to get at least 90% on the NFHS Part I exam?

You know, the Part I exam that's meaningless?:)

And, for the "Power Points" used to determine post-season assignments, aren't more points given out for a higher certification level, <b>and</b> for how well that you did on the Part I exam? Don't you get 5 power-points for getting 97+% on the Part I exam, as opposed to only 1 power-point for getting 80%? If so, then it seems to me that having the Part I exam and answers early sureasheck could make a difference in Illinois.

WhistlesAndStripes Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:43am

Quote:

And, for the "Power Points" used to determine post-season assignments, aren't more points given out for a higher certification level, <b>and</b> for how well that you did on the Part I exam? Don't you get 5 power-points for getting 97+% on the Part I exam, as opposed to only 1 power-point for getting 80%? If so, then it seems to me that having the Part I exam and answers early sureasheck could make a difference in Illinois.

Then that is something that Illinois will have to deal with woody.

tjones1 Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:23am

Quote:

To attain a "certified" rating, on top of getting at least 85% on Part II, don't you also have to get at least 90% on the NFHS Part I exam?

You are correct.

Camron Rust Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:03pm

Quote:

And, for the "Power Points" used to determine post-season assignments, aren't more points given out for a higher certification level, and for how well that you did on the Part I exam? Don't you get 5 power-points for getting 97+% on the Part I exam, as opposed to only 1 power-point for getting 80%? If so, then it seems to me that having the Part I exam and answers early sureasheck could make a difference in Illinois.

Game. Set. and Match.

JRutledge Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:10pm

Quote:

You are making a bigger deal then most of us here make of that power rating. That power rating is not what gets you advanced in the playoffs. The only way you can get a perfect score is if you work a State Final. The Power rating is not going to have you go deep into the playoffs; you will have to be observed by someone in the state office to accomplish this. Also, most officials already have the 5 points because there associations have gone over the test. Once again, this is an open test and it is common for official's associations and individuals go over the test in groups. I know from personal experience because in two of my sports I have advanced rather far and I was observed by the actual sports administrator before I got a chance at a Sectional and a 3rd Round playoff.

Peace

JRutledge Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:13pm

Quote:

Game. Set. and Match.

BTW Camron, the person over the Official's Department (also the Football Administrator for the IHSA) said that it is OK for officials to go over the Part 1 Exam with fellow officials. He has said this for years in front of different official's associations at the IHSA Convention. They realize the test is open book and that is what happens during open book tests.

Peace

Dan_ref Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:20pm

I just love this time of year...leaves changing color, crisp mornings with frost on the lawn, gearing back up for another season. Now that the annual pre-season test pissing contest is in full bloom we can finally declare autumn is here. Let's all enjoy...

http://www.scenicphotographsbyvance....ettle-Pond.jpg

Ref_ Fred Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:43pm

Guys why does it matter, It's open book this year so why would anyone want it in advance? Just read the book!

Jurassic Referee Fri Oct 27, 2006 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref_ Fred
Guys why does it matter, It's open book this year so why would anyone want it in advance? Just read the book!

Oh, is it open book in all 50 states, Fred?

Just wondering....

Jurassic Referee Fri Oct 27, 2006 02:30pm

Quote:

Then that is something that Illinois will have to deal with woody.

Yup, same as Alaska.

JRutledge Fri Oct 27, 2006 03:31pm

Quote:

Oh, is it open book in all 50 states, Fred?

Yes or no?

Who cares what all 50 states do. All 50 states do not take the Part 1 Exam at all. It is not the job of everyone to worry about that. If the people in a particular state violate their rules, then have their state take care of them. Not all rules apply to all states. If they did, then prostitution would not be legal in a little part of Nevada. I thought guys like you would be for State's rights. :D

Peace

Jurassic Referee Fri Oct 27, 2006 03:33pm

Quote:

BTW Camron, the person over the Official's Department (also the Football Administrator for the IHSA) said that it is OK for officials to go over the Part 1 Exam with fellow officials.

Would the same person feel that it would be OK to go over the Part II exam and answers with fellow officials <b>before</b> the closed-book proctored exam?

WhistlesAndStripes Fri Oct 27, 2006 04:01pm

Quote:

Would the same person feel that it would be OK to go over the Part II exam and answers with fellow officials <b>before</b> the closed-book proctored exam?

Different people prepare for tests in different ways. :D

Jurassic Referee Fri Oct 27, 2006 09:11pm

Quote:

Different people prepare for tests in different ways. :D

So....how do the Powers That Be in Alaska feel about <b>your</b> way, Bush?:)

tomegun Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:00pm

I only know a little bit about the whole Bush thing, but I think it's funny because he isn't even trying to deny it. I guess you exposed him for who he is.

JRutledge Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:32am

Quote:

I do not know and I do not care. Guys in our state for years before the process was changed got a free ride to take the Part 2 Exam as compared to what many others since had to go through. I do not put that much stock in officiating tests and I know many that do not. You do, so this issue seems to be a bone of contention for you. For me it is not.

Peace

dentiff Tue Oct 31, 2006 09:56am

Send me a copy also

jokeme Tue Oct 31, 2006 01:23pm

I would like to see questions/answers also and just to prevent a mass out break of ethics.. our group does not take the test, it is an on court test and each year I like to go over test so I am sure I am aware of all the rules and situations that might not be covered during our on-court test.

please sent to [email protected]

thanks,

Nevadaref Tue Oct 31, 2006 03:26pm

Quote:

Who cares what all 50 states do. All 50 states do not take the Part 1 Exam at all. It is not the job of everyone to worry about that. If the people in a particular state violate their rules, then have their state take care of them. Not all rules apply to all states. If they did, then prostitution would not be legal in a little part of Nevada. I thought guys like you would be for State's rights. :D

If you are going to use this as an example then you need to get your facts right. Prostitution is legal in a BIG part of Nevada. It is done on a county by county basis. The only two counties in which it is illegal are Clark (where Las Vegas is) and Washoe (where Reno is). So while prostitution is NOT legal where most of the population resides, it is legal in most of the state by land area (about 85% of it).

Since you are always the guy who says, "You don't know how it is in my state," I just had to take the opportunity to set you straight on how it is in MY state. :p

Now you may get back to your pissing contest over the exam.

JRutledge Tue Oct 31, 2006 03:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
If you are going to use this as an example then you need to get your facts right. Prostitution is legal in a BIG part of Nevada. It is done on a county by county basis. The only two counties in which it is illegal are Clark (where Las Vegas is) and Washoe (where Reno is). So while prostitution is NOT legal where most of the population resides, it is legal in most of the state by land area (about 85% of it).

Since you are always the guy who says, "You don't know how it is in my state," I just had to take the opportunity to set you straight on how it is in MY state. :p

Now you may get back to your pissing contest over the exam.

Well I can talk as confidently about this as you do when it comes to issues in my state. Criminal laws are public record. State interpretation of basketball rules usually are not.

BTW, we stopped having this conversation long time ago. I figured you would go trolling around for a debate on something that is rather trivial. I guess you did not disappoint. :rolleyes:

Peace

Junker Tue Oct 31, 2006 03:49pm

Boy, you've gotta love any thread that moves from tests, to sweatsuits, and finally to prostitution. Not that it matters to anyone but me, but I don't see asking for the questions and answers is unethical, it's what you do with that information that may be considered unethical. In my area, I usually work on the test alone for a day or two, then get toghether with some buddies, watch some college football, have a beverage or two, and haggle over the answers we weren't sure about. Are we helping each other with answers? Heck yes, but the discussions that get us to arrive at those answers make us better officials. The way our state uses the part I exam, I don't see a problem with exchanging questions and answers as long as the person uses them correctly in conjunction with their own thoughts. An official that just goes down and fills in someone else's answers will never amount to much of an official if you ask me.

Nevadaref Tue Oct 31, 2006 04:59pm

Quote:

Well I can talk as confidently about this as you do when it comes to issues in my state. Criminal laws are public record.

Well then you didn't do the proper research, so when you do go look it up, you will find out that you are wrong.

JRutledge Tue Oct 31, 2006 05:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Well then you didn't do the proper research, so when you do go look it up, you will find out that you are wrong.

The next thing you are going to try to tell me is gambling is not legal in Nevada either. :rolleyes:

Peace

Nevadaref Tue Oct 31, 2006 05:42pm

Here iRut read this and learn something for once, instead of your usual practice of just opening your yap and spewing out garbage.
This is from a local media source and was written in the past fews days regarding a ballot question for the upcoming election.

"The decision to legalize gambling here in 1931 was based largely in anticipation of the gold-standard decision, which was inevitable even before FDR took office in 1933 because so little paper money was in circulation in the aftermath of the thousands of bank closures that followed the stock-market crash of 1929. With gold (which by then had long since supplanted silver as Nevada’s primary mineral resource) no longer valid currency and thus less in demand than before, Nevada leaders knew they had to do something to sustain the state’s flagging economy.

That’s why it legalized (and heavily taxed) not only gambling, but quickie marriages and divorces, and prostitution as well.

Lawrence M. Friedman, a Stanford professor who has written 23 books on the subject of law and its impact on American society, encapsulates Nevada’s economic history this way:

“Nevada, in a burst of ingenuity, built an economy by exploiting its sovereignty. Its strategy was to legalize all sorts of things that were illegal in California ... After easy divorce came easy marriage and casino gambling. Even prostitution is legal in Nevada, in any county that decides to allow it. Quite a few of them do.” "

I think that Prof. Friedman knows a bit more about Nevada's legal history than you do. :p

Jurassic Referee Tue Oct 31, 2006 06:11pm

<b>God-Damn</b>........

People are trying to cheat here, ya know.

Try and stay on-topic.

JRutledge Tue Oct 31, 2006 06:14pm

Nevada,

You cannot read. I never said I knew the law better than anyone and I did not say anything that was untrue. Nevada allows a law that most states if not all states find illegal. If it was not, then the Bunny Ranch would not be on HBO every other month. Maybe you need to read a book sometime or listen to people that debate these issues on news TV quite often. I realize you are trying to turn this into what the law is and what the law is not. I am not going there with you. I have better things to do.

If you are so sensitive about what your state allows, why live there?

Peace

WhistlesAndStripes Tue Oct 31, 2006 09:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junker
Boy, you've gotta love any thread that moves from tests, to sweatsuits, and finally to prostitution. Not that it matters to anyone but me, but I don't see asking for the questions and answers is unethical, it's what you do with that information that may be considered unethical. In my area, I usually work on the test alone for a day or two, then get toghether with some buddies, watch some college football, have a beverage or two, and haggle over the answers we weren't sure about. Are we helping each other with answers? Heck yes, but the discussions that get us to arrive at those answers make us better officials. The way our state uses the part I exam, I don't see a problem with exchanging questions and answers as long as the person uses them correctly in conjunction with their own thoughts. An official that just goes down and fills in someone else's answers will never amount to much of an official if you ask me.

Can we get back to the original topic please? Who still needs a copy of the test?

Dan_ref Tue Oct 31, 2006 09:38pm

Quote:

Can we get back to the original topic please? Who still needs a copy of the test?

Wait...I think I see someone raising her hand in the back...yes there she is! You need a copy?

http://www.starcostumes.com/prodimages/LA83035.jpg

Jurassic Referee Tue Oct 31, 2006 09:41pm

Quote:

JA up in Anchorage wants one. Do you want his e-mail address?