The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   defensive steal (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/29070-defensive-steal.html)

Ignats75 Thu Oct 26, 2006 07:48am

Clarification

OK,

We now agree that B1 has backcourt status on the play. Why can't he pass to another player who has BC status? The initial play is over. Team control is established in the backcourt. What prevents B1 from legally passing to B2 in the BC?

ChuckElias Thu Oct 26, 2006 07:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignats75
OK,

We now agree that B1 has backcourt status on the play. Why can't he pass to another player who has BC status?

Because the rule that allows the airborne player to land in the backcourt allows ONLY the airborne player to bring the ball into the backcourt. The exception is written explicitly for the player who catches the ball while airborne. Once that player releases the ball, the exception no longer applies.

Ignats75 Thu Oct 26, 2006 08:07am

That still makes no sense. The exception allows the player to land in the backcourt. That is the end of the play. The ball now legally has BC status. Why can't another player retreat into the backcourt to receive a pass? By definition, the 10 second count should start again. Why would B be penalized by only allowing B1 to bring the ball back up the court?

I'm going to see one of our rules gurus tonight. I may ask him about this.

All_Heart Thu Oct 26, 2006 08:10am

Quote:

That still makes no sense. The exception allows the player to land in the backcourt. That is the end of the play. The ball now legally has BC status. Why can't another player retreat into the backcourt to receive a pass? By definition, the 10 second count should start again. Why would B be penalized by only allowing B1 to bring the ball back up the court?

I'm going to see one of our rules gurus tonight. I may ask him about this.

The player may pass to a teammate in the backcourt AFTER he lands not while in the air.

Ignats75 Thu Oct 26, 2006 08:23am

Ok

Thats what I thought. I may have just misunderstood what the other people were saying...talking about throwing the pass while B1 was still in the air versus what I was talking about, after the action was complete.

Proving once again that communication is still important.

ChuckElias Thu Oct 26, 2006 08:30am

Quote:

Thats what I thought. I may have just misunderstood what the other people were saying...

Yup, and I misunderstood your question. Sorry. You are absolutely right. Once the airborne player has landed in the backcourt, s/he can legally pass the ball to anyone, even if the other person is also in the backcourt. Sorry about that.

Ignats75 Thu Oct 26, 2006 08:52am

Thats OK...No Blood, No Foul:p

Wait, I'm not allowed to say that here!:D

Raymond Thu Oct 26, 2006 09:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Yup, and I misunderstood your question. Sorry. You are absolutely right. Once the airborne player has landed in the backcourt, s/he can legally pass the ball to anyone, even if the other person is also in the backcourt. Sorry about that.

What's up with all this apology stuff? :mad:

Aren't you supposed to say that the original question wasn't very clear or that it may be a regional thing and you can't speak for how they do things where Ignats lives? :)

ChuckElias Thu Oct 26, 2006 09:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Aren't you supposed to say that the original question wasn't very clear or that it may be a regional thing and you can't speak for how they do things where Ignats lives? :)

You've got me confused with another poster. When I'm wrong, I recognize it, apologize and move on. Keeps my blood pressure down. ;)

Jurassic Referee Thu Oct 26, 2006 09:56am

Quote:

When I'm wrong, I recognize it, apologize and move on.

You should probably hire a secretary to do that for you. It would save you just a <b>ton</b> of time.

Think of all the quality time that you could free up to spend with your dog.

Nevadaref Thu Oct 26, 2006 07:15pm

Quote:

You've got me confused with another poster. When I'm wrong, I recognize it, apologize and move on. Keeps my blood pressure down. ;)

I think that Chuck is saying that, like the rest of him, his ego is relatively small. :eek: