The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

resumption of play

Hello guys. I was reviewing the NFHS exam and a particular question is continually coming up for discussion at our local district meetings. It is #49 -----> The resumption of play procedure is only in effect following a charged time out or intermission. I understand the resumption of play procedure but if you have a situation where team A request a time out for a correctable error and it is still correctable, then team A is not going to be charged with a time out. Thus we will put the ball back into play and may utilize the resumption of play procedure if there is an unusual delay. Therefore I would answer that question as FALSE. Any information or help with this situation will be aprreciated. Thanks
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettoref
Hello guys. I was reviewing the NFHS exam and a particular question is continually coming up for discussion at our local district meetings. It is #49 -----> The resumption of play procedure is only in effect following a charged time out or intermission. I understand the resumption of play procedure but if you have a situation where team A request a time out for a correctable error and it is still correctable, then team A is not going to be charged with a time out. Thus we will put the ball back into play and may utilize the resumption of play procedure if there is an unusual delay. Therefore I would answer that question as FALSE. Any information or help with this situation will be aprreciated. Thanks
You're splitting hairs. Answer false if you like. It will be graded as incorrect.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

#49 True 7-5-1; 8-1-2
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 08:50am
In Memoriam

Quote:
The correct answer is TRUE.

Rules 7-5-1, 8-1-2 and 10-1-5(b) specifically say that the resumption of play procedures only apply to two situations- delays following a charged time out or intermission. There are no other situations listed in the rules, including the one that you detailed above, that are listed as also being eligible for the resumption-of-play procedures.

In the situation that you listed- i.e. a team failing to be ready after any official's time-out, then rule 10-1-5(b) is used. There is no warning given because the circumstances are not one of the two situations listed as being eligible for delay-of-game procedures. Iow, because it's not after a time-out or intermission, it's an immediate team technical foul charged to team A, with no warning, for delaying the game by preventing the ball from being put into play.

Btw, the FED-issued answer sheet for the Part I exam also lists the correct answer for #49 as being TRUE.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Oct 19, 2006 at 08:54am.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 09:05am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Hello guys. I was reviewing the NFHS exam and a particular question is continually coming up for discussion at our local district meetings. It is #49 -----> The resumption of play procedure is only in effect following a charged time out or intermission. I understand the resumption of play procedure but if you have a situation where team A request a time out for a correctable error and it is still correctable, then team A is not going to be charged with a time out. Thus we will put the ball back into play and may utilize the resumption of play procedure if there is an unusual delay. Therefore I would answer that question as FALSE.
If a team is charged with a time-out after a correctable-error conference, the "resuming play" procedure after the time-out is still not used because it doesn't meet the criteria of rule 7-4-4, as listed as being necessary in 7-5-1.

Just thought I'd throw that one in before you thought of it too.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

JR. Thanks for the help. If you or anyone else has a copy of the answers, I would appreciate a copy for myself. They can be emailed or I can give a fax #
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 09:14am
In Memoriam

Quote:
JR. Thanks for the help. If you or anyone else has a copy of the answers, I would appreciate a copy for myself. They can be emailed or I can give a fax #
Palmetto, personally I'd cut my own nuts off before I'd send out the exam answers to anyone before every state in the country had finished writing the exam. There's just too much of a chance that the answers could get out to other officials who haven't written the exam yet.

You're doing the absolute best thing right now that you possibly do imo. You're asking about individual questions, and you're getting feedback and also sparking a good discussion about a particular play. That's how we learn, not by just getting exam answers. Jmo as always.

Welcome to the forum.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
If a team is charged with a time-out after a correctable-error conference, the "resuming play" procedure after the time-out is still not used because it doesn't meet the criteria of rule 7-4-4, as listed as being necessary in 7-5-1.

Just thought I'd throw that one in before you thought of it too.
I think the reference to 7-4-4 in 7-5-1 is incorrect. If it were correct, then a TO called while neither team was in control (e.g., a TO called immediately after a basket) would not result in the Resumption of Play procedure being used.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

JR. Then based on the information in 7-4-4, a correctable error would be considered an "infraction" thus it would disqualify this situation from utilizing the ROP procedure? I'm just trying to get a good grasp on ROP.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

our state does not use the fed exam. we only use it as a refresher tool and to get us in the right frame of mind when we do take our exam. I wouldn't want any answers for any reason other than to review how I have answered the exam and to share with our officials within our district.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 09:33am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Palmetto, personally I'd cut my own nuts off before I'd send out the exam answers to anyone.......

Now that's dedication to a cause.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 10:18am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
Now that's dedication to a cause.
It's also rhetorical.

I ain't that dedicated, JAR.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 10:27am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I think the reference to 7-4-4 in 7-5-1 is incorrect. If it were correct, then a TO called while neither team was in control (e.g., a TO called immediately after a basket) would not result in the Resumption of Play procedure being used.
Then the question would be.....

If team A was charged with a TO after wrongfully asking to have a correctable error looked at, would the "resumption of play" procedure as listed in 7-5-1 now apply if team A was in control when the play was stopped to check out if there was actually an error?

Iow, would the "resumption of play" procedure only apply under the specific circumstances listed in 7-4-4 after a TO charged to a team for a denied correctable error?

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Oct 19, 2006 at 10:31am.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then the question would be.....

If team A was charged with a TO after wrongfully asking to have a correctable error looked at, would the "resumption of play" procedure as listed in 7-5-1 now apply if team A was in control when the play was stopped to check out if there was actually an error?

Iow, would the "resumption of play" procedure only apply under the specific circumstances listed in 7-4-4 after a TO charged to a team for a denied correctable error?
I admit that I get lost among all the cross-references. I can't even seem to find the location of a throw-in when the ball becomes dead when neither team is in control (e.g., a TO after a basket, or an accidental whistle with no team control).

That said, I think the Resumption of Play procedure applies whenever there is a TO or an intermission.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 11:49am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I can't even seem to find the location of a throw-in when the ball becomes dead when neither team is in control (e.g., a TO after a basket, or an accidental whistle with no team control).
Rule 4-36-1 & 2(c)