The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   resumption of play (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/28964-resumption-play.html)

bob jenkins Thu Oct 19, 2006 02:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Rule 4-36-1 & 2(c)

I'm sorry -- I should have specified that I can't find in rule 7-5 where the throwin is after a TO or accidental whistle....

7-5-9 talks about most of the times when POI is used, but not all.

Kajun Ref N Texas Thu Oct 19, 2006 03:02pm

Quote:

If a team <b>is</b> charged with a time-out after a correctable-error conference, the "resuming play" procedure after the time-out is still not used because it doesn't meet the criteria of rule 7-4-4, as listed as being necessary in 7-5-1.

Just thought I'd throw that one in before you thought of it too.:)

Not to be argumentative, but to ask a legitimate question.

7-5-1 does not make a distinction between a charged time-out v a non charged time-out. It simply says, "After a time-out (as in 7-4-4)" which says "The ball becomes dead while a team is in control, provided no infraction or the end of a period is involved, as in 7-5-4."

So why does the resumption of play not apply to the original sitch of a non charged time-out do to a correction of an error?

Jurassic Referee Thu Oct 19, 2006 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kajun Ref N Texas
Not to be argumentative, but to ask a legitimate question.

7-5-1 does not make a distinction between a charged time-out v a non charged time-out. It simply says, "After a time-out (as in 7-4-4)" which says "The ball becomes dead while a team is in control, provided no infraction or the end of a period is involved, as in 7-5-4."

So why does the resumption of play not apply to the original sitch of a non charged time-out do to a correction of an error?

See rule 8-1-2. It talks about the timer having to sound the authorized warning horn and final signal during the time-out that was preceded by the resuming play procedure. Warning horns and final signals are <b>only</b> used for <b>charged</b> TO's as per rule 2-12-4. There are no warning horns and final signals used during other types of time-outs, such as the one used for a correctable error. Ergo...the resuming play procedure is only used after charged time-outs.

Kajun Ref N Texas Thu Oct 19, 2006 09:05pm

Quote:

See rule 8-1-2. It talks about the timer having to sound the authorized warning horn and final signal during the time-out that was preceded by the resuming play procedure. Warning horns and final signals are <b>only</b> used for <b>charged</b> TO's as per rule 2-12-4. There are no warning horns and final signals used during other types of time-outs, such as the one used for a correctable error. Ergo...the resuming play procedure is only used after charged time-outs.

Thank you.

rainmaker Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:09am

Quote:

The correct answer is TRUE.

Rules 7-5-1, 8-1-2 and 10-1-5(b) specifically say that the resumption of play procedures only apply to two situations- delays following a charged time out or intermission. There are no other situations listed in the rules, including the one that you detailed above, that are listed as also being eligible for the resumption-of-play procedures.

In the situation that you listed- i.e. a team failing to be ready after any official's time-out, then rule 10-1-5(b) is used. There is no warning given because the circumstances are not one of the two situations listed as being eligible for delay-of-game procedures. Iow, because it's <b>not</b> after a time-out or intermission, it's an immediate team technical foul charged to team A, with no warning, for delaying the game by preventing the ball from being put into play.

Btw, the FED-issued answer sheet for the Part I exam also lists the correct answer for #49 as being TRUE.

When you say there are no other situations listed that are eligble for the resumption of play procedure, what about after a violation? Casebook7.5.2 Sit A says to put the ball on the floor after a violation, if there isn't someone ready to promptly make the ball live. It's not called resumption of play procedure, but it's the same set of actions.

Jurassic Referee Fri Oct 20, 2006 03:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
When you say there are no other situations listed that are eligble for the resumption of play procedure, what about after a violation? Casebook7.5.2 Sit A says to put the ball on the floor after a violation, if there isn't someone ready to promptly make the ball live. It's not called resumption of play procedure, but it's the same set of actions.

It might be the same set of actions but it doesn't carry the same consequences. In 7.5.2SitA, the penalty is a violation. There is no provision under 7-5-2 for an official warning to be given to a team after a subsequent repeat violation, as the resumption of play procedure in 8-1-2 carries. If the situation ever came up where there might be multiple violations by the same team, then the penalty if you chose to call it would be an immediate "T" for delaying the game by preventing the ball being put in play under R10-1-5b.

Good question.

wfd21 Fri Oct 20, 2006 07:38am

Another way to look at it is, the coach did not request, nor was he granted a time-out. The charged time out is a penelty for being wrong on the correctable error. He does not get to use a time-out, and there is no "timed" time-out. Therefore no resumption of play.

bob jenkins Fri Oct 20, 2006 08:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wfd21
Another way to look at it is, the coach did not request, nor was he granted a time-out. The charged time out is a penelty for being wrong on the correctable error. He does not get to use a time-out, and there is no "timed" time-out. Therefore no resumption of play.

I think you have this backwards. The coach requests a TO to correct the error. See 10-5-2. IF the error is corrected, then no TO is charged.

If the determination that there is no error is made before the end of the TO, then the coach gets to use the remaining time as a TO. See 5.8.4A

Kajun Ref N Texas Fri Oct 20, 2006 09:50am

Quote:

It might be the same set of actions but it doesn't carry the same consequences. In 7.5.2SitA, the penalty is a violation. There is no provision under 7-5-2 for an official warning to be given to a team after a subsequent repeat violation, as the resumption of play procedure in 8-1-2 carries. If the situation ever came up where there might be multiple violations by the same team, then the penalty if you chose to call it would be an immediate "T" for delaying the game by preventing the ball being put in play under R10-1-5b.

Good question.

I don't understand 7-5-1 c. or d.

Can you explain what situation this is referring to:confused:

ChuckElias Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:15am

Quote:

Because then the RPP would apply after every whistle. (And yes, I have a rule citation to back that up. :) )

Jurassic Referee Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:34am

Quote:

I don't understand 7-5-1 c. or d.

Can you explain what situation this is referring to:confused:

New case book play 7.5.1 has the explanation.

Kajun Ref N Texas Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:39am

Quote:

New case book play 7.5.1 has the explanation.

Thanks. I get my new case book next week. I'll take a look.

Jurassic Referee Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:01am

Quote:

Thanks. I get my new case book next week. I'll take a look.

Well, in that case.....:)

<b>CASE PLAY 7.5.1 SITUATION: THROW-IN DELAY FOLLOWING TIME-OUT</b>
The administering official has reached a five-second throw-in count on team A after placing the ball on the floor when A was not ready to play following a time-out. What happens next?
<b>RULING:</b> The violation is administered and the ball is made available to team B for a throw-in, at the same spot. If a team B player is not in position, the same procedure is followed. <font color = red>If both teams have violated, a technical foul will be assessed for any further delay by either team. Team A must now have a thrower available, plus all other players on the court and team B must must be on the court ready to play also. If either or both teams are not in compliance immediately, a technical foul shall be charged.</font>
<b>COMMENT:</b> Each different time a team has delayed returning to the court after a time-out or between quarters, the resumption-of-play procedure should be used. However, if a team refuses to play after technical fouls have been assessed, the game may be forfeited. (5-4-1)

Hope that helps, Kajun.

Kajun Ref N Texas Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:26am

Quote:

Well, in that case.....:)

<b>CASE PLAY 7.5.1 SITUATION: THROW-IN DELAY FOLLOWING TIME-OUT</b>
The administering official has reached a five-second throw-in count on team A after placing the ball on the floor when A was not ready to play following a time-out. What happens next?
<b>RULING:</b> The violation is administered and the ball is made available to team B for a throw-in, at the same spot. If a team B player is not in position, the same procedure is followed. <font color = red>If both teams have violated, a technical foul will be assessed for any further delay by either team. Team A must now have a thrower available, plus all other players on the court and team B must must be on the court ready to play also. If either or both teams are not in compliance immediately, a technical foul shall be charged.</font>
<b>COMMENT:</b> Each different time a team has delayed returning to the court after a time-out or between quarters, the resumption-of-play procedure should be used. However, if a team refuses to play after technical fouls have been assessed, the game may be forfeited. (5-4-1)

Hope that helps, Kajun.

Thank you.