The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   another study guide question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/28953-another-study-guide-question.html)

just another ref Wed Oct 18, 2006 08:51pm

another study guide question

All 12 team A members are wearing warm-up tops instead of their jerseys.
When the warm-up ends, the team returns to the bench area and puts on their jerseys. Officials assess team A with one technical foul and an indirect technical on the coach.

True or false?

I said false.......after I said, "What the hell?"

ChuckElias Wed Oct 18, 2006 09:12pm

It's true. It's a T to remove your jersey on the court. But the rules don't intend to penalize a large group for all doing the same thing, when it seems to be part of one event. So charge one T to the team, one indirect on the coach.

just another ref Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias
It's true. It's a T to remove your jersey on the court. But the rules don't intend to penalize a large group for all doing the same thing, when it seems to be part of one event. So charge one T to the team, one indirect on the coach.

I thought of that, BUT it is a t to remove the jersey, is it a t to come out without it and put it on in the first place at the bench? The t for removing the jersey is listed under unsporting acts. 05-06 poe "removing the jersey either on the court or near the team bench, especially after a disqualification. I see nothing that could remotely be considered unsporting here. My take is the intent of this rule was to target players who were making some sort of statement by removing the jersey: "I fouled out and I'm upset." "I'm a star and now I'm out so the scrubs can mop up." etc.

Camron Rust Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias

Really? I think the question is asking the wrong thing for what they're trying to get at.

Isn't the T for removing the jersey? If they don't have one on to start with, how can you T them for removing it?

They were probably trying to get at the point you make but it would have been better to have all 12 have on white jerseys but take them off to switch to black because the visiting team showed up with light grey.

Camron Rust Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref
I thought of that, BUT it is a t to remove the jersey, is it a t to come out without it and put it on in the first place at the bench? The t for removing the jersey is listed under unsporting acts. 05-06 poe "removing the jersey either on the court or near the team bench, especially after a disqualification. I see nothing that could remotely be considered unsporting here. My take is the intent of this rule was to target players who were making some sort of statement by removing the jersey: "I fouled out and I'm upset." "I'm a star and now I'm out so the scrubs can mop up." etc.

You beat me to it. :)

However, the jersey T covers a lot more than unsporting acts....change for a torn jersey must even be done away from the court area.

Nevadaref Thu Oct 19, 2006 01:47am

Guys,
Chuck is right. This is directly from last year's NFHS Interps.

2005-06 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 4: During the pregame warm-up, the 12 members of Team A are wearing warm-up tops, but not their team jerseys. Approximately one minute prior to the opening jump ball, the 12 Team A members go to the team bench, remove the warm-up tops and put on the team jerseys. RULING: One technical foul is charged to Team A, and it is also charged indirectly to the head coach. COMMENT: In a situation where similar multiple infractions occur at the same time, it is not the intent of the rules to penalize each individual infraction as a separate technical foul. (3-4-15; 10-4-1h)

Jurassic Referee Thu Oct 19, 2006 02:49am

Good catch, Nevada. That's exactly why I print those off the FED web site every year and file 'em away..

Nevadaref Thu Oct 19, 2006 03:42am

It's a shame that they don't archive them on their website. :(

bob jenkins Thu Oct 19, 2006 08:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Guys,
Chuck is right. This is directly from last year's NFHS Interps.

2005-06 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 4: During the pregame warm-up, the 12 members of Team A are wearing warm-up tops, but not their team jerseys. Approximately one minute prior to the opening jump ball, the 12 Team A members go to the team bench, remove the warm-up tops and put on the team jerseys. RULING: One technical foul is charged to Team A, and it is also charged indirectly to the head coach. COMMENT: In a situation where similar multiple infractions occur at the same time, it is not the intent of the rules to penalize each individual infraction as a separate technical foul. (3-4-15; 10-4-1h)

And now we can have the "if it didn't make it to the case book, is it still a valid interp?" discussion.

Dan_ref Thu Oct 19, 2006 09:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
And now we can have the "if it didn't make it to the case book, is it still a valid interp?" discussion.

No, let's have the "why is the fed injecting themselves into a part of tha game that doesn't need them" discussion instead.

The intent of this rule was to act on the HS'ers following the habits of the nba'ers in taking off their jersey in disgust. Makes absolutely no sense for them to take that ruling this far.

Jurassic Referee Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
No, let's have the "why is the fed injecting themselves into a part of tha game that doesn't need them" discussion instead.

The intent of this rule was to act on the HS'ers following the habits of the nba'ers in taking off their jersey in disgust. Makes absolutely no sense for them to take that ruling this far.

Sense is not an issue when it comes to some rules.

If it was, coaches wouldn't be allowed to call TO's.

IREFU2 Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref
All 12 team A members are wearing warm-up tops instead of their jerseys.
When the warm-up ends, the team returns to the bench area and puts on their jerseys. Officials assess team A with one technical foul and an indirect technical on the coach.

True or false?

I said false.......after I said, "What the hell?"

The answer is true, they have to leave the court area to change clothing.

Mark Padgett Thu Oct 19, 2006 01:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Sense is not an issue when it comes to some rules.

If it was, coaches wouldn't be allowed to call TO's.

Is this a rule change that I haven't heard about? Since when can coaches call timeouts? :rolleyes:

RookieDude Thu Oct 19, 2006 03:24pm

I had heard somewhere...probably here...that this "Jersey off thing" was in reaction to parents getting upset that the girls were running around with just their sports bras on.

Being removed or not...the Fed evidently does not want players around the court area without a Jersey.