The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Of course none of this will ever stop the exam/answer-traders anyway. They gotta do what they gotta do.
But isn't this an open book take-home exam? The only thing it proves is that the people taking the test can read.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 11:47am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
But isn't this an open book take-home exam? The only thing it proves is that the people taking the test can read.
Is it an open-book take-home exam for all IAABO boards, Jim?
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Is it an open-book take-home exam for all IAABO boards, Jim?
It is now, LOL.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 11:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
It is now, LOL.
Yup, it sureasheck is, ain't it?
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

I'm a dual member in 2 IAABO boards.

In one board, the refresher is given as a take home study aid, in the other it's given as a proctored exam. Go figure...
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref18
I'm a dual member in 2 IAABO boards.

In one board, the refresher is given as a take home study aid, in the other it's given as a proctored exam. Go figure...
I hope you aced the proctored exam!
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

I fully intend to.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to ref509
NFHS, Part 1

My apologies for the typo on the 1st thread (NFHA). Tha (ooops, typo) "a" and the "s" are close on the keyboard for my big fingers. ANYway, I'm curious...all the "to do" about exam answers and rules/case references: why is everything so "guarded" if we want our officials to KNOW the rules. I understand somewhat a new official might need the rigour of a proctored setting but beyond that I think I favor "collaboration" and discussion. Anyone agree? My board usually posts the answers on the local website but it is so long after the exam, it serves little purpose. Finally, as former educator in an IAABO Board, I like to review the language, syntax, logic and underlying philosophy in {a} particular question (s) with a view to enhancing KNOWLEDGE of the rules for all officials. AND yes, I am still looking for rule/case references for NFHS,Part 1 ([email protected]).
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref509
My apologies for the typo on the 1st thread (NFHA). Tha (ooops, typo) "a" and the "s" are close on the keyboard for my big fingers. ANYway, I'm curious...all the "to do" about exam answers and rules/case references: why is everything so "guarded" if we want our officials to KNOW the rules.
If "everyone" used the exam as an open-book, get together and discuss learning experience (i.e., more of a study guide than a test), then there would be no problem is distributing the test and answers.

If "everyone" used the exam as a proctored test, then I think we'd all agree that it would be wrong to distribute the questions and answers in advance of the test.

The problem is that some states (or perhaps even areas within states) use it for the former purpose, and some use it for the latter purpose.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
If "everyone" used the exam as an open-book, get together and discuss learning experience (i.e., more of a study guide than a test), then there would be no problem is distributing the test and answers.

If "everyone" used the exam as a proctored test, then I think we'd all agree that it would be wrong to distribute the questions and answers in advance of the test.

The problem is that some states (or perhaps even areas within states) use it for the former purpose, and some use it for the latter purpose.
Plus, I don't think anyone has ever objected to any discussion of a single question (or 2-3 questions) with rule or case references. That makes it pretty clear that those participating in the discussion are likely doing it for the right reasons. Even if someone were using it to only get the answers, they'd have to dig through 30-40 threads to get them all and would have to at least scan the discussion to get to the correct answer...likely learning something along the way.

The primary issue is when an infrequent poster comes in and only wants the entire set of answers or test. The test is available from local and state associations well in time for the season.