The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Tights II

In a high school game I witnessed probably 15 years ago, a kid whose legs had been disfigured in a fire wore tights. Officials did allow him to play. Any disagreement with that?
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I would probably tell the coach that I'm allowing it tonight, but sending a report to the state. And that if he wants the kid to be able to wear them, he should petition the state for a waiver of the rule. Nobody wants to embarass a kid, but it is illegal. And some hotshot new official is gonna make the kid take 'em off. Better to have a waiver from the state association so it's not an issue.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Parents and coaches should always have a letter on hand every game. I had a girl in my last church who is a great VB player. She has to wear an insulin pump. An official stopped the game in the midst of a crucial to the game rally because he thought it was a pager. One word of explanation and the statetment that there was a letter of persmission from the state association took care of it. The sad thing is that he should have known because it is posted on the officials website off and on just to remind people.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 09:05am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
The sad thing is that he should have known because it is posted on the officials website off and on just to remind people.
The sad thing is ...it is posted on the officials website off and on....
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

I would say that something like that falls under a medical necessity (like the arm sleeve) but yes, having a letter to that effect would solve alot of problems. Also make sure it is from a doctor and filed with the state as well (just in case)!
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 01:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevzebra
I would say that something like that falls under a medical necessity (like the arm sleeve) but yes, having a letter to that effect would solve alot of problems. Also make sure it is from a doctor and filed with the state as well (just in case)!
Arm sleeves are regarded as being completely different under the rules. They're legal as long as they are actually "compression" sleeves, and they do not require a letter. Sleeves made out of a non-supportive material such as cotton are illegal. The R will always be the one with the final decision as to the legality of any sleeve.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
The sad thing is ...it is posted on the officials website off and on....
Excellent point. Here's how it got on the first time. After a b'ball rules meeting I asked the interpreter about it.He is very involved with juvenile diabetes
but had never really thought about it. He took it to the state association three days later and the legality was posted a few days after that. I call the state office from time to time and remind them to put it on again. When I was coaching jr. high soccer, I saw an official tell a player on the opposing team that he would have to take off the pump to play. I told the player and his parents that was incorrect and that he could wear it. The parents agreed to just take the leads out of the pump for the game. I WOULD NEVER HAVE LET HIM DO THAT. Can you imagine what kind of problems would have ensued if that kid had gone down during a game?
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 02:39pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
Excellent point. Here's how it got on the first time. After a b'ball rules meeting I asked the interpreter about it.He is very involved with juvenile diabetes
but had never really thought about it. He took it to the state association three days later and the legality was posted a few days after that. I call the state office from time to time and remind them to put it on again. When I was coaching jr. high soccer, I saw an official tell a player on the opposing team that he would have to take off the pump to play. I told the player and his parents that was incorrect and that he could wear it. The parents agreed to just take the leads out of the pump for the game. I WOULD NEVER HAVE LET HIM DO THAT. Can you imagine what kind of problems would have ensued if that kid had gone down during a game?
You do what you can to keep a clear conscience.
Good goin', refnrev !