The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   And don't call me Shirley....or Coach (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/28882-dont-call-me-shirley-coach.html)

Mark Padgett Sun Oct 15, 2006 04:24pm

And don't call me Shirley....or Coach

If you can believe this - the company where I work (in a manner of speaking) is entering two teams (one men's and one women's) in a local park district adult rec league. They asked me if I would be interested in coaching one or the other. I said no. They then asked me that if they could find someone else who was interested, would I "co-coach" (whatever that means). Again, I said no. They then asked me if they could find someone to head coach, would I be the assistant. Again, I said no. Maybe they're beginning to get the message.

OK, those of you who know me, can you imagine me coaching an adult rec team? I'd have to bench all my own players for conduct. :eek:

truerookie Sun Oct 15, 2006 05:58pm

Mark Padgett,

I don't know you. However, I can see that you do not want to be a team player. Personally, I think it is a great opportunity to teach you fellow co-workers (teammates) how the game should be played properly. You should establish an understanding with the company that although, you are an official it does not give them the right to put you in an awkward situation. Nothing personal just an opinion.

Mark Padgett Sun Oct 15, 2006 09:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie
I don't know you. However, I can see that you do not want to be a team player.

If you did know me, you wouldn't be making your second statement. :cool:

mick Sun Oct 15, 2006 09:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
If you can believe this - the company where I work (in a manner of speaking) is entering two teams (one men's and one women's) in a local park district adult rec league. They asked me if I would be interested in coaching one or the other. I said no. They then asked me that if they could find someone else who was interested, would I "co-coach" (whatever that means). Again, I said no. They then asked me if they could find someone to head coach, would I be the assistant. Again, I said no. Maybe they're beginning to get the message.

OK, those of you who know me, can you imagine me coaching an adult rec team? I'd have to bench all my own players for conduct. :eek:

What an opportunity ! The NPA ! You have trained all the offiicials and have house-broken all of the coaches. Don't stand in the shadows, but come out, ... into the light ! You may win a T-shirt !

truerookie Mon Oct 16, 2006 09:51am

Quote:

Mark, this is true. I made that statement hoping it would cause you to observer the big picture. Because what Mick posted I agree with. :cool:

truerookie Mon Oct 16, 2006 09:54am

Quote:

Mark, this is true. I was hoping you would reconsider. I could have tried a different approach. Please accept my apology.:cool:

ChuckElias Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie
Mark, this is true. I was hoping you would reconsider. I could have tried a different approach. Please accept my apology.

Mark, this is true. I made that statement hoping it would cause you to observer the big picture.

So which is it? Did you want him to reconsider or to observer? :D

<font size = 1>(Observer? I hardly knew 'er!)</font>

mick Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias

(Observer? I hardly knew 'er!)

I think Mr. Padgett probably owes some penance.

Junker Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:42am

If you bench everyone for conduct it would be great. You can pull the Hackman and tell the official that your team is on the court. He'll turn around to one team. How classic would that be? You should do it just once. It might be good for the game, although I'm sure you'd lose a little sanity.

truerookie Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias

<font size = 1>(Observer? I hardly knew 'er!)</font>

Reconsider:cool:

Tim C Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:45am

Cripes,

"I can see that you do not want to be a team player."

This ties for the dumbest post ever made oin the internet.

Regards,

truerookie Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C

Regards,

Really? How is that?

26 Year Gap Mon Oct 16, 2006 07:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C

Regards,

I would direct you to ANY ESPN message board. I guarantee you will find posts that are far dumber than that one you cite. In fact, you could search the NFHS forum and look for anything JPRIMO posts or the McGriff board and hunt down JMO posts and you would see that your observation is pure hyperbole.

Mark Padgett Mon Oct 16, 2006 09:29pm

Jeez - don't you guys realize that if I coached I'd have to puke on my own shoes and stare at my own pants!!!!! :eek:

rainmaker Mon Oct 16, 2006 09:50pm

Quote:

Jeez - don't you guys realize that if I coached I'd have to puke on my own shoes and stare at my own pants!!!!! :eek:

Now that's a picture I could have lasted a long time without!!