The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

state coaches meetings

Soon my state will be holding their annual state basketball coaches meetings. They bring in the D1 basketball coaches and have a clinic and such. Has anyone ever attended one of these as an official? I was thinking of contacting the coaches association to see if they would mind some of us sitting in. It has been a while since many of us have been around a practice and I think it would be interesting and helpful to see how the game is being taught.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

We usualyy get invited

Our Board usually gets invited to the regional Conference coaches meeting. It is usually our rules interpreter who goes and tells the coaches about the rule changes, how we are going to call them, and what to expect regarding POE this year.

We cannot go if we are not invited but I think it is very important that there is a relationship between the referees and coaches off the court because it can only improve the on court game especially when the coaches know why we call certain things and how exactly we interpret the rules.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 10:44am
Do not give a damn!!

I have never heard of such a meeting. I am sure there are similar meetings out here, but none that officials are made aware of.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

I am from Ontario and the meeting I was refering to is our regional HS Leagues coaches meeting. They have one before every season to talk about schedule, tournaments, RULES, safety and so on. I have never heard of a Provincial/State coaches meeting. I mean there are coaches clinics and all but There is no reason to really have a state meeting since the coaches dont play each other until the state tournament anyways.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Junker - is this a meeting where the coaches can learn game plays, techniques, practice schedules, ideas and such from D-1 coaches? If so, it's kind of a neat idea for the state to put on such a thing for the coaches.

It would be interesting to see if they teach a section on "How to Win Friends and Influence Referees".

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

We don't get invited, but the local news and the colleges let it be known that they are having their meeting. The crews of officials I run around with have talked about it in the past and thought it would be interesting to see how the game is being taught in practice. It sounds like the coaches bring their teams and show drills, plays and such. We are not as the basketball coaches association is separate from the state athletic association.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

In Virginia we have rules clinic, which is held by the state and both official and coaches attend.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFVA
In Virginia we have rules clinic, which is held by the state and both official and coaches attend.
Yep, and it will be in northern VA on 16 Oct.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblref
Yep, and it will be in northern VA on 16 Oct.
Our coaches come to our rules meeting as well, and obviously they pay close attention because they NEVER ask a question about something new. The meeting I'm talking about is more of a coach's clinic where they learn plays, drills and such.