The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 30, 2006, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Background info on teams

Ok, so I read alot about NBA officials and how they get emails and all kinds of info about the games they are gonna work everynight. I understand many will read papers to see what coaches are thinking about the matchups even what kinds of offenses and defenses. So basically, they EVERYTHING they can about the game that night.

So I get in discussion with good friend who's a player, presents the point that doing that gets you anticipating calls or actions. She has a point, but I try to explain that expect a certain or having knowledge helps you manage the game. It doesn't make you blow the whistle sooner, just helps you know what MIGHT happen so you're on top of it.

We further went on to discuss "marking" players. I told her I dont' mark players but I do remember them. Basically, if I know a player is an emotional player or trouble player, maybe I can diffuse them faster because I know they can't handle themselves. Otherwise, I let them go and the first interaction we have is that I give him or her a technical. She contends that I'm watchin them too hard, and waiting for them to screw up.

So how do you convince people of what we're trying to do. I don't see the problem with knowing what to expect from a team or player, that just puts me ahead of the game so that nothing gets by me. Thoughts?

CLH
Old Sat Sep 30, 2006, 03:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

First of all you cannot worry about what others do and what philosophies they hold. All you can do is worry about what you do.

I can tell you that it is very important to know as much about the teams, the circumstances surround the game and the stars as possible. It will help you stay on top of trouble situations and appropriately officiate the game.

If you know both teams like to press all game long, then you can talk to your partners in the pre-game how you are going to cover this and what mechanics you will use.

When you know who the star is, it helps you know what this player is going to do with the ball and sometimes on defense. This will also help you get an idea what the opponents might do to stop them.

I learned to do this very early in my career and it has helped me tremendously when I officiate many years later. All this does it put you in the right frame of mind so that you are not caught completely off guard. I do not see the harm in this.

Peace
Old Sat Sep 30, 2006, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

This is a very good thing to do, especially in regards to game disruptors and I don't mean whistle plays. I mean the player that is in the game just to start sh!t. At everyone of my camps, I would have at least one clinician come up to me during the week and ask me who we (crew) thought was the troublesome player(s) and when you give them the correct names they seem very pleased that you get it right.

Whether its good or bad I do mark players. I like to know their tendencies and their emotional level so that I know how to approach them correctly. If you approach a player who is NOT happy go lucky, but instead takes the game very seriously and you try to feed him a joke or make him laugh, it usually doesn't help. I love knowing who my "dirty" players are as well cause I refuse to let something go down in my game that is going to screw it up and turn it to crap, and as everybody knows there are those games that have the potential to go to hell in a handbasket in a hurry.
Old Sun Oct 01, 2006, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH
Basically, if I know a player is an emotional player or trouble player, maybe I can diffuse them faster because I know they can't handle themselves.
I think you meant to use "defuse" here. Mr. Annoying Grammar Guy seems to be away.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can tell you that it is very important to know as much about the teams, the circumstances surround the game and the stars as possible. It will help you stay on top of trouble situations and appropriately officiate the game.
I agree to know the specifics of the game and about players, but I work with some officials that will let the 5th foul go if it happens to be the star player in the game. In that situation I don't want to know. In the OP, I know what that player was speaking about.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH

I don't see the problem with knowing what to expect from a team or player, that just puts me ahead of the game so that nothing gets by me. Thoughts?

CLH
Having as much information as possible beforehand is a good thing.

All players and coaches start with a clean slate (in other words, we don't hold grudges from previous incidents) but being aware that they have caused problems in the past is helpful to know (preventative officiating).
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

I believe it behooves us to know as much as we can about teams, coaches and tendencies. But I agree we go into the game with a clean slate as far as being professional and handling the game. As far as dirty players, I believe everyone is considered "suspect" and should be handled and watched accordily. Doing the course of the game you will know who to keep a very careful eye on or who needs to be addressed.
As far as players 5th foul....I wouldn't want to put someone out of the game or a in "betweener".