The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Rough Play during Jump ball struggle (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/28469-rough-play-during-jump-ball-struggle.html)

REFVA Mon Sep 25, 2006 09:25am

Rough Play during Jump ball struggle

I'll explain the situation as best I could, A1 shoots ball at their basket and misses, B1 gets rebound and A1 traps her and both girls held ball, and partner blows whistle for jump ball. A1 being a much bigger player and more physical player as they struggle for possesion B1 falls to the ground on her back. From my partners angle it seemed that A1 was just a bit to physical. With that B1 got AP but A1 recieved warning for her physical play. I know that you have to see it to call it, but Please give me your opinion.

Raymond Mon Sep 25, 2006 09:34am

Not sure what happened in your situation, but if you didn't see A1 strike or push B1 then giving A1 a warning/reminder listen to the whistle in these situations seemed like the appropriate response.

Jimgolf Mon Sep 25, 2006 09:44am

This may not be what you meant, REFVA, but I'm seeing this as a "no physical contact" type of play, where both players are holding onto the ball and one is knocked to the ground by the other's attempt to wrest it away.

Since there is no physical contact, there isn't a foul, but could the play be deemed unsporting if the knockdown occurs after the whistle has been blown?

The player who got knocked down should have the sense to let go when she is losing her footing, but the opponent should stop pulling the ball once the whistle has blown. IMO, use your judgment.

Junker Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:07am

I'm sure we all have this happen in almost every season. A lot of times this play looks alot worse than it is, just because one player is stronger than the other. What I do, as with all held ball situations, is close down quickly and remind the players to stop moving when they hear the whistle. A nice, calm, "take it easy" helps. I can't think of a situation where I've seen a foul called at this point in the play. I would think if you did have one, it would almost have to be flagrant.

Jurassic Referee Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junker
I can't think of a situation where I've seen a foul called at this point in the play. I would think if you did have one, it would almost have to be flagrant.

Nope, it would just be a regular ol' unsporting "T".

RonRef Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:53am

Quote:

I'm sure we all have this happen in almost every season. A lot of times this play looks alot worse than it is, just because one player is stronger than the other. What I do, as with all held ball situations, is close down quickly and remind the players to stop moving when they hear the whistle. A nice, calm, "take it easy" helps. I can't think of a situation where I've seen a foul called at this point in the play. I would think if you did have one, it would almost have to be flagrant.

Junker, if you call it flagrant that means you have to dump the player from the game. In this situation it looks like a "talk to" IMO

Junker Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:31pm

Sorry, I was unclear. I didn't see anything that I would have called a foul in the OP. What I was trying to say was that I can't think of a time when I've seen a foul called in a situation like the OP. I'd be more inclined to talk to players in the OP rather than call a foul. About the only way I would call a foul is if I had a flagrant act while they were wrestling around.

Junker Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonRef
Junker, if you call it flagrant that means you have to dump the player from the game. In this situation it looks like a "talk to" IMO

I couldn't agree more.

Junker Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:33pm

Oh, and I almost forgot...a jump ball, in a girls' game! What are the chances?!:D

RonRef Mon Sep 25, 2006 01:47pm

Quote:

Oh, and I almost forgot...a jump ball, in a girls' game! What are the chances?!:D

Chances are about 20-25 times a game!

zeke Mon Sep 25, 2006 05:23pm

The situation as you describe I see as a talk to. Now if she contacts on a elbow or something after the whistle--contact tech. Something verbal afterwards to the other player--tech.

26 Year Gap Mon Sep 25, 2006 09:21pm

Quote:

With no apologies to MTD Sr, the AP arrow is the best rule change in the last 25 years. :D

Camron Rust Mon Sep 25, 2006 09:35pm

Quote:

You just need to raise better girls. The <STRIKE>one</STRIKE> ones here in Oregon usually get far fewer....even none is possible. :D

rainmaker Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust
You just need to raise better girls. The one here in Oregon..... :D

C'mon Camron. There's a lot more than one!!

Camron Rust Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
C'mon Camron. There's a lot more than one!!

Oops. A very important and inadvertant typo.