The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 23, 2006, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Two Tough One's (NFHS)

Warming up for 2006-7 myself and other ref's had a "tough" question contest for thebar tab. Two winners - need thoughts:

1) 2006-07 rules changes in sweat and wrist bands. Can an NBA logo appear? Rules say "trademank's" are OK but all rule case's indicated only school related markings or a manufacturers logo. Split decision.

2) Can you have basket interfearence on a shot at the wrong basket? Sit: A1 shoots at wrong basket and A2 realises it and pulls ring down and interfers.

Inquiring minds want to know.
Old Sat Sep 23, 2006, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Daddy
Warming up for 2006-7 myself and other ref's had a "tough" question contest for thebar tab. Two winners - need thoughts:

1) 2006-07 rules changes in sweat and wrist bands. Can an NBA logo appear? Rules say "trademank's" are OK but all rule case's indicated only school related markings or a manufacturers logo. Split decision.

2) Can you have basket interfearence on a shot at the wrong basket? Sit: A1 shoots at wrong basket and A2 realises it and pulls ring down and interfers.

Question 1 should be worded in two parts, with your question as part a and part b being, "Who cares?"

Question 2 is a little trickier, but I say the answer is yes, it's BI. There's nothing anywhere in 4-6 that indicates that it matters which basket is being shot at. And there are no relevant case plays.
Old Sat Sep 23, 2006, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:

Also, here's the answer to a question you didn't ask, "No. An apostrophe never indicates plural."
Old Sat Sep 23, 2006, 01:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

1. I would assume that the NBA produced the item. That would be considered a manufacture's logo to me. I do not know that I would worry that much about it.

2. BI applies to both baskets and by both teams. So the basket the ball is shot at would not matter.

Peace
Old Sat Sep 23, 2006, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The only thing that matters for BI is the location of the ball and who touches it (to determine the penalty). How it gets there is not relevant.
Old Sat Sep 23, 2006, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

1) In the past, most have said no, as the NBA is not a manufacturer.

2) GT - no. BI - yes. IUt has to be a try to have GT. It does not have to be a try to have BI.

Hope you can come up with some that are tougher than that.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Sep 23, 2006, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
AFAIK, not covered in FED. In NCAA (or maybe it was NCAAW only) it's not allowed.