The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Two Tough One's (NFHS) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/28445-two-tough-ones-nfhs.html)

Ref Daddy Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:54pm

Two Tough One's (NFHS)

Warming up for 2006-7 myself and other ref's had a "tough" question contest for thebar tab. Two winners - need thoughts:

1) 2006-07 rules changes in sweat and wrist bands. Can an NBA logo appear? Rules say "trademank's" are OK but all rule case's indicated only school related markings or a manufacturers logo. Split decision.

2) Can you have basket interfearence on a shot at the wrong basket? Sit: A1 shoots at wrong basket and A2 realises it and pulls ring down and interfers.

Inquiring minds want to know.

rainmaker Sat Sep 23, 2006 01:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Daddy
Warming up for 2006-7 myself and other ref's had a "tough" question contest for thebar tab. Two winners - need thoughts:

1) 2006-07 rules changes in sweat and wrist bands. Can an NBA logo appear? Rules say "trademank's" are OK but all rule case's indicated only school related markings or a manufacturers logo. Split decision.

2) Can you have basket interfearence on a shot at the wrong basket? Sit: A1 shoots at wrong basket and A2 realises it and pulls ring down and interfers.

Question 1 should be worded in two parts, with your question as part a and part b being, "Who cares?"

Question 2 is a little trickier, but I say the answer is yes, it's BI. There's nothing anywhere in 4-6 that indicates that it matters which basket is being shot at. And there are no relevant case plays.

rainmaker Sat Sep 23, 2006 01:08pm

Quote:

Also, here's the answer to a question you didn't ask, "No. An apostrophe never indicates plural."

JRutledge Sat Sep 23, 2006 01:17pm

1. I would assume that the NBA produced the item. That would be considered a manufacture's logo to me. I do not know that I would worry that much about it.

2. BI applies to both baskets and by both teams. So the basket the ball is shot at would not matter.

Peace

Camron Rust Sat Sep 23, 2006 01:40pm

Quote:

The only thing that matters for BI is the location of the ball and who touches it (to determine the penalty). How it gets there is not relevant.

BktBallRef Sat Sep 23, 2006 01:56pm

Quote:

1) In the past, most have said no, as the NBA is not a manufacturer.

2) GT - no. BI - yes. IUt has to be a try to have GT. It does not have to be a try to have BI.

Hope you can come up with some that are tougher than that. :)

bob jenkins Sat Sep 23, 2006 05:21pm

Quote:

AFAIK, not covered in FED. In NCAA (or maybe it was NCAAW only) it's not allowed.