The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   USA true to form (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/28423-usa-true-form.html)

rainmaker Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:17am

USA true to form

The US Women's National Team lost to ... Russia?!?!

This is the Fox News analysis...

"Russia took advantage of poor shooting and sloppy ball-handling by the U.S. to take a 58-38 lead after three quarters."

Oh, well, I guess the Women's ball has already sunk to the men's level. I thought they had at least a few more years before they went down the tubes. Rats.

Jurassic Referee Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:20am

The report left out poor free throw shooting too. I think that they were sumthin' like 7 for 13.

One bad game does not necessarily an NBA all-star team make.

REFVA Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:27am

Plus a missed layup with 12 seconds left in the game..

BBall_Junkie Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:24pm

Plus a bad call at the end of the game where the 3 pt shot did not travel the requisite 10 yards before it was touched by the Russian team and was subsequently awarded to the Russian even though it was the USA that recovered the ball in the end... Oh wait, I have my contests mixed up!!!

Although, I am sure we can attribute this loss in someway to the poor refereeing!!! :D

rockyroad Fri Sep 22, 2006 01:10pm

Interesting little blurb in our local fish-wrapper out here made the point that both men's and women's USA coaches/sponsors/players are bemoaning the fact that they don't get to play together as a team as much as the other countries teams do...the writer points out that that is not the reason both teams lost, but a lack of fundamental skills and basic understanding of the team concept which the other nations do have is what led both teams to lose...something to think about, anyway.

Dan_ref Fri Sep 22, 2006 01:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad
Interesting little blurb in our local fish-wrapper out here...

Does anybody actually wrap fish in newspaper anymore?

Just wondering....maybe we need a poll...

BktBallRef Fri Sep 22, 2006 01:28pm

...or maybe we need a pole. :)

Dan_ref Fri Sep 22, 2006 01:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
...or maybe we need a pole. :)

Whatever.

Just no more peasants, 'k?

M&M Guy Fri Sep 22, 2006 02:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Whatever.

C'mon, can't everyone just be more pleasant?

It doesn't seem that difficult to me - it seems obvious it's a lack of team preparation. Even HS teams are spending the summer going to team camps and working together longer than ever before. Talant can cover up some technical flaws, but you need to play with your teammates a while before you get a good feel of what they can do, and what you can do with them. Look at Malone/Stockton, Jordan/Pippen, Bird/McHale, M/M (M by himself was nothing until he learned to work with M...)

Back In The Saddle Fri Sep 22, 2006 02:23pm

Quote:

Whatever.

Yeah, we elitist pricks prefer pheasant. :D

Dan_ref Fri Sep 22, 2006 02:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Yeah, we elitist pricks prefer pheasant. :D

I thought you preferred doggie biscuits

Back In The Saddle Fri Sep 22, 2006 02:45pm

Quote:

I thought you preferred doggie biscuits

I like both. But if I can get pheasant flavored doggie biscuits, that's the best.

Dan_ref Fri Sep 22, 2006 02:49pm

Quote:

I like both. But if I can get pheasant flavored doggie biscuits, that's the best.

Typically "best" is used when comparing 3 or more things. Better for you to have used "better" when comparing 2 things.

Maybe that wasn't on the test?

Back In The Saddle Fri Sep 22, 2006 02:58pm

Quote:

Typically "best" is used when comparing 3 or more things. Better for you to have used "better" when comparing 2 things.

Maybe that wasn't on the test?

I'll have to discuss that with Bill Gates and Larry Elison. They come by on Tuesday morning to collect the trash.

Dan_ref Fri Sep 22, 2006 03:01pm

Quote:

I'll have to discuss that with Bill Gates and Larry Elison. They come by on Tuesday morning to collect the trash.

hmmm...I read on the web they both attend the local community college on Tuesday mornings...hoping to better their employment opportunity & generally enhance their critical thinking skills by completing that associates degree.