The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Accused of cheating ?? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/27941-accused-cheating.html)

MidMadness Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:28pm

Accused of cheating ??

Heres one...How would you react to this...Being accused by a coach of calling it 1 way..example..Every time there is a jump ball...The coach says red?? How can it be red, it was red last time... I walk over to the coach and say,,,Coach, do you think I woke up this morning and said to myself...This afternoon, in my 2nd game of 3..I will make sure red wins?? Do you really think thats what I did???

Jimgolf Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:33pm

Sometimes people forget that the arrow changes at the start of quarters. Remind the coach to check the arrow at the scorer's table.

Raymond Wed Aug 23, 2006 03:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidMadness
Heres one...How would you react to this...Being accused by a coach of calling it 1 way..example..Every time there is a jump ball...The coach says red?? How can it be red, it was red last time... I walk over to the coach and say,,,Coach, do you think I woke up this morning and said to myself...This afternoon, in my 2nd game of 3..I will make sure red wins?? Do you really think thats what I did???

Well I hope that's not what you actually said to the coach :eek:

zebraman Wed Aug 23, 2006 04:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Well I hope that's not what you actually said to the coach :eek:

Actually, if it was an AAU game I think it's pretty funny. :)

Z

Mark Padgett Wed Aug 23, 2006 08:01pm

Davism - "You know, Coach, we might have it the wrong way. I'll tell you what, you can have the next two out of three, OK?" :cool:

Brad Thu Aug 24, 2006 01:55am

Something like this? Hardly even worth addressing.

If the coach tries to argue it - like "No -- it's OUR ball!!!!!" I would just calmly walk over and say, "Coach - you got the ball at the half / last jump ball / etc."

Now, if the coach really accuses you of cheating - something to the effect of, "You've been calling against us all night!" you have to address it. I would tell him once, "Coach, I'm not going to listen to comments like that."

Next time... WHACK!

Brad Thu Aug 24, 2006 01:58am

Oh yeah -- I agree zebraman... AAU / Summer league ball -- do whatever you want and/or whatever makes for the most humorous stories afterwards.

For example, I *cough* know a referee that once addressed an AAU "coach" that was being quite the idiot by saying, "Coach, I'm ashamed for you."

The coach replied, "I'm ashamed for you!!!!!"

WHACK!

Important to note: There is nothing in the rule book about baiting a coach!!! :)

RonRef Thu Aug 24, 2006 06:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad
Oh yeah -- I agree zebraman... AAU / Summer league ball -- do whatever you want and/or whatever makes for the most humorous stories afterwards.

For example, I *cough* know a referee that once addressed an AAU "coach" that was being quite the idiot by saying, "Coach, I'm ashamed for you."

The coach replied, "I'm ashamed for you!!!!!"

WHACK!

Important to note: There is nothing in the rule book about baiting a coach!!! :)

This makes a lot a sense, so since AAU/Summer coaches are sometimes idiots and even worse at times we should be unprofessional and be just like them. We don't like smart *** coaches but it is okay for us to be smart *** referees. Be professional at all times and make the coach make an *** out of him/herself.

deecee Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:20am

This comment doesnt sound like an accusation of cheating. It sounds like another coach who has no @#$@#$ clue how the possesion arrow works. This can be remedied in 5 seconds -- coach possession arrow switches every quater/half as well as with jump balls -- done. If he doesnt understand then we all know hes just filling in because the team has to have a coach and hes just a puppet of a larger more sinister basketball coaching regime.

btaylor64 Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad
Something like this? Hardly even worth addressing.

If the coach tries to argue it - like "No -- it's OUR ball!!!!!" I would just calmly walk over and say, "Coach - you got the ball at the half / last jump ball / etc."

Now, if the coach really accuses you of cheating - something to the effect of, "You've been calling against us all night!" you have to address it. I would tell him once, "Coach, I'm not going to listen to comments like that."

Next time... WHACK!

I am not going to say anything to a coach in this situation.

Good rule of thumb:

If it is blatant that a coach is accusing you or your crew of cheating, no talking just give a Technical. Let me just throw in that each situation is different though and that some situations can be handled by saying something to a coach, but I haven't had to talk to one yet. It should be a guideline in the rulebook that we T coaches up for this. They know they have stepped over the line, so we need to let them know that with some kind of penalty instead of no penalty (talking to them).

Ref Daddy Thu Aug 24, 2006 08:21pm

Whack it is!

I ain't letting players hear me being called a cheater. Bad for the game.

Stat-Man Fri Aug 25, 2006 09:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Davism - "You know, Coach, we might have it the wrong way. I'll tell you what, you can have the next two out of three, OK?" :cool:

I've used this many times with coaches I've worked with and opposing coaches that think they should have had the last AP. The :confused: look on their faces is always priceless. :cool:

26 Year Gap Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:24pm

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Davism - "You know, Coach, we might have it the wrong way. I'll tell you what, you can have the next two out of three, OK?"

I've used this many times with coaches I've worked with and opposing coaches that think they should have had the last AP. The look on their faces is always priceless.

You could carry this a step further and tell him [or her in that 1 in 10 situation] that he can have 3 of the next 5.

kiwiref Sun Aug 27, 2006 06:43am

Legal opinion

I sought a legal opinion on the issue. Denny Crane reckons shoot the coach. In cummer leagues this is an attractive proposition: you think I'm a bad ref? Let me show you a bad ref...

garote Wed Aug 30, 2006 04:52pm

I look the coach dead in the Eye and ask "Are you accusing me of cheating??"

I usually get the whole back pedal thing from the coach.

But I have had one say yes I do think your cheating....Needless to say he read about the final score in the paper.

I know some on this site will say I baited him...but he's way way way over the line already even making that accusation.

IMOHO