The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

If nobody is there to back up your decisions, you could benefit by having a taser handy.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 08:10pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindmanwalking
If nobody is there to back up your decisions, you could benefit by having a taser handy.
I said "Raise your hand when I call a foul on you."
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Not always true. I've worked rec leagues with strong game/on-site admin who enforced league by-laws. I worked one league where ejected players had 2 minutes to vacate the premises or team forfeited and and the Sheriff's office would receive a call (they had a team in the league and their department was 2 blocks away). I've never had anyone threaten me after a game. On the contrary, I've had players or their teammates apologize for poor behavior on quite a few ocassions.

I've learned a lot of my game management skills from rec league. I've also made mistakes in rec leagues that I couldn't afford to make in HS and JuCo. I learn from those mistakes.

My most prominent mentor (Sweet 16; multiple conference and NIT championship games) cut his teeth on rec leagues and is a big proponent of working as many games as you can as your work your way up the ladder.

My biggest beef with Rec Leagues isn't the players, it's the horrible play I sometimes have to witness
Thats because you are a BIG DOWG!!!!
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
I said "Raise your hand when I call a foul on you."
Ahhh, the good old days.
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There is a new men's league (over 30) being fomed in my home town and I have been asked to provide the referees. However, because of their past experiences with men's leagues I am finding that most referees are reluctant to referee these games.

This is a new league so we have a chance to outline rules of conduct, etc. .

Any one have any suggestions and comments.
Where are the games played? State, city/town?
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdccpa
.. and I have been asked to provide the referees.

Any one have any suggestions and comments.

Thanks
Don't do it! If you do, you will wish you hadn't.
Old Sat Aug 26, 2006, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor
Don't do it! If you do, you will wish you hadn't.
GREAT POINT!!! You'll have to listen to all the complaints from players, coaches and probably have to restock your officials half way thru the league. This task is bigger than it seems.
Old Sat Aug 26, 2006, 06:19pm

I think you can see a lot of us have been there and done that. Most experienced officials have no desire to work these games because they are nothing but a hassle night after night. That being said, I have told my assignor that I will only work these games with another senior official who goes in with the same philosophy I have. Whack 'em early and as often as necessary. Hoefully, since most of these games have running clocks, the idiots will realize that the clock still runs even though we're shooting free throws. The worse they behave, the more whistles get blown, and the slowere my partner and I get putting the ball back in play. These leagues are bad news because the players, and I use that term loosely, usually don;t have any concept. How many times have we heard, come on let us play, followed by "you gotts call that" from the same player on light contact situations. Good luck in getting officials.
Old Sat Aug 26, 2006, 06:21pm

I apologize for my spelling. I guess my three fingers are rusty from not posting for a while.
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

I'm getting in on this late, but first of all, good luck helping with a men's league. My suggestions are like most others, pay well and make sure sportsmanship is enforced. I'd say if they're ejected from any game, they don't come back and also make sure there is a hefty fine for all T's. Another thing I think would help is if you are saying we use HS rule, use them all. I get frustrated as an official and as a player in leagues where they try to use rules from different leagues (college, HS, etc.). It just leads to confusion. Good luck finding people. Personally I won't work adult leagues, in fact the league I've played in for the last few years is getting so bad I might not play next year.