The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
I don't totally agree with the consistency statement. There are times when they are and when they are not. That is with any game, but as far as flow, no way. They have fouls on marginal plays to the basket all the time i.e. cheap AND 1's. That in itself causes for no flow. They are calling fouls on rebounding plays when the team who was in the position for the rebound got the rebound, once again adding to a flowless game.

When I watch a game I rarely watch the game itself. I am almost always watching the refs and 80% of the time I am watching off ball. The refs have to eliminate the let 'em play mentality and referee with a "referees set the tempo" mentality especially on off ball plays and handchecking up top. By calling these plays fouls we open up the game for more freedom of movement and hence more plays to the basket, more scoring, and all in all a better game for the players and the fans.
Do you have anything positive to offer?
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Do you have anything positive to offer?

Yeah. Thank God Bill Kennedy and Marc Davis are working some of the FIBA games. Maybe they can pass some of their knowledge on to the others about 3 man mechanics.

Don't think I am a totally negative person because I am not. While I respect all officials at all and every level, I have not been pleased at all with one aspect of officiating of any of the FIBA refs. I don't blame them either. I don't think they have the knowledge that we have over here in the states about the 3 man crew, but with Bill and Marc over there, and with the help of a translator maybe they can help out a little bit with their judgement, with their signals looking more believeable and their overall professional apperance.

Someone please tell me I am not the only one seeing this?
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
Yeah. Thank God Bill Kennedy and Marc Davis are working some of the FIBA games.
Are you sure about that? I'm certainly not, but those are not the guys listed on the website for the FIBA WC.
http://www.fiba2006.fiba.com/pages/e...rchStr=referee

Does anyone know of a place that is publishing which refs are working, or have worked, which games?
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Quote:
Are those the guys that wear those hidous orange shirts?
Yep, those arn't exactly the best looking ref shirts I know :/
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 07:13am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Are you sure about that? I'm certainly not, but those are not the guys listed on the website for the FIBA WC.

Hmmmm.....looks like Eddy F. Rush from the NBA is moonlighting at the Worlds.

Fernanzo?

Wonder how the FIBA evaluators rate him compared to some of their other guys.....
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I'm watching a little of the US/Italy game this morning. The officiating doesn't seem too bad. A missed travel, a questionable no-call on a block/charge. But those happen every game, not just to FIBA guys. I have noticed it get a little rough off-ball. On one FT, an Italian player threw 3 consecutive elbows into the US players back, while the shooter still had the ball and the official didn't even talk to them.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

http://www.fiba2006.fiba.com/pages/e...rchStr=referee

Does anyone know of a place that is publishing which refs are working, or have worked, which games?
Bill Kennedy was working the exhbition games in Asia before the World championships.

I believe Terry Moore and Ed Rush are the two Americans at the Worlds. BTW, Mike Homsy is the only Canadian at the event. I have not found any place to see who is working which game.