The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Geez, didn't mean to start an argument over how useful the WNBA is. I just thought the mic'd up deal was cool. Maybe if the NBA did this more, fans would have a better understanding of how the officials handle different situations, and may help show that they are there to improve the game, not just out to grind an axe or teach someone a lesson. Whatever happened to the cable show where Ronnie Nunn used to give rule interpretations for different plays from the week?

BTW and JMO, you can ALWAYS learn somthing from watching EVERY game, whether is, NBA, WNBA, NCAA or whatever, even if its how not to do somthing. If you say it doesn't do much for you, you're not looking.

Just my humble opinion though, they're like noses, everyone has one.

CH
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH
Geez, didn't mean to start an argument over how useful the WNBA is. I just thought the mic'd up deal was cool. Maybe if the NBA did this more, fans would have a better understanding of how the officials handle different situations, and may help show that they are there to improve the game, not just out to grind an axe or teach someone a lesson. Whatever happened to the cable show where Ronnie Nunn used to give rule interpretations for different plays from the week?

BTW and JMO, you can ALWAYS learn somthing from watching EVERY game, whether is, NBA, WNBA, NCAA or whatever, even if its how not to do somthing. If you say it doesn't do much for you, you're not looking.

CH
Actually, there are quite a few of us here who enjoy the WNBA. I generally don't get annoyed with Jeff, but I'd rather this thread would be about the game yesterday, and not about Jeff's well known views. Could you just ignore this thread, please, Jeff, like you do the games on TV, and let us discuss our little petty concerns by ourselves? Please?
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Thank you, Jeff. I appreciate you showing us this amount of respect and courtesy.

Regarding the continuation call, it did seem a little weird. However, I really thought the announcers over-played the situation. Geez, one bad call. They harped, and harped, and harped, and harped on it for the rest of the game. I thought Ann Meyers was the women's games worst announcer of all time, but I've now "elevated" Doris Burke, and whoever that guy was that was with her to a new record score of lousy.

There were a number of other calls that might have seemed questionable but were actually very good, including a couple of PC calls, and one block/charge that were truly great. In all, I thought the game was very well officiated, although the level of play wasn't up to my expectations at all. I don't see how they can keep saying that Connecticut is so great, if that game was any indication!
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Thank you, Jeff. I appreciate you showing us this amount of respect and courtesy.

Regarding the continuation call, it did seem a little weird. However, I really thought the announcers over-played the situation. Geez, one bad call. They harped, and harped, and harped, and harped on it for the rest of the game. I thought Ann Meyers was the women's games worst announcer of all time, but I've now "elevated" Doris Burke, and whoever that guy was that was with her to a new record score of lousy.
I didn't see the game but if it was a bad call at a critical point why wouldn't the announcers talk about it? It's their job to talk about the game...good bad & indifferent.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 12:43pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH
If you say it doesn't do much for you, you're not looking.
It doesn't do anything for me.

I'm not looking because I'm not interested.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH

CH
Ronnie Nunn stopped because the league mandated that they stop that. That is why they got rid of ask the ref on the NBRA website, but it is back now and it just contains questions about the life and what it is like to be an NBA official. I would also go out on a limb and say that when this mandate was handed down was a little before or right at the time eroe39 (Eli Roe) stopped posting. That and to add to it that almost everybody was questioning everything he said. I believe someone even questioned him on a NBA rules application (can't remember for sure). Oh and by the way I heard he either scored or almost scored a 100 on one of the nba exams this year. He is a big rules buff and from his post he seemed to know what he was talking about, just a little.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 01:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Actually, there are quite a few of us here who enjoy the WNBA. I generally don't get annoyed with Jeff, but I'd rather this thread would be about the game yesterday, and not about Jeff's well known views. Could you just ignore this thread, please, Jeff, like you do the games on TV, and let us discuss our little petty concerns by ourselves? Please?
I am sure there are, but you do not talk about it. Juulie, put some more skin on and you might actually have a sense of humor about this topic.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
I would also go out on a limb and say that when this mandate was handed down was a little before or right at the time eroe39 (Eli Roe) stopped posting.
I think that limb would break. Eli's last post here was in May of '04. Ronnie's show was on the air after that, I'm pretty sure. That mandate might be an additional factor that would prevent his return, but I don't think that's why he decided to stop posting.

Quote:
almost everybody was questioning everything he said. I believe someone even questioned him on a NBA rules application (can't remember for sure).
I think this is the reason he left the forum (I met him briefly at camp in summer '04). He got a pretty rough reception here, that's for sure. But not b/c of his NBA rule knowledge. It was b/c he and "tony" and Brent were perceived (by me, as well) as telling us to apply NBA philosophies and rules to NCAA and HS games.

After meeting Eli (again, very briefly), I'm truly sorry that we chased him away. I was genuinely happy for his advancement.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 02:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH
You did not start an argument. I made a joke and some people do not know how to take a joke unless they are making the joke themselves. Give it time and you will see someone will make a FIBA joke in the FIBA Championship thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH

CH
Also I disagree with this. If you watch the NBA, there are a lot of things when it comes to contact and violations that are not shared at the NCAA level. And if they do something totally different or have a different philosophy, you will get yourself into trouble trying to translate that to other levels. Notice how I did not even say the WNBA in that point of view? The NBA is seen as entertainment by many and not pure basketball.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I am sure there are, but you do not talk about it. Juulie, put some more skin on and you might actually have a sense of humor about this topic.

Peace
Whatever.

Does anyone else feel that the announcers sort of overdid the comments on the one bad call? I also thought they dwelt entrilely too heavily on the low shot percentages of a couple of the Washington players. Surely they've got more to talk about than just how badly two particular players are doing. The fact is, Connecticut had a lousy day all the way around, and they only won by pure luck, in my opinion.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

One thing I noticed is that the ref that was "mike-ed" said "Stay here" at least a couple of times. He also called everyone by their first names, players, coaches, table people. And they didn't leave it on ALL the time. There were a couple of converstaions with coaches I'd like to have heard, and couldn't.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 04:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Talking

Quote:
Whatever.

Does anyone else feel that the announcers sort of overdid the comments on the one bad call?
You guys appear to be the only ones that saw the game. (Did I do that again?)

Peace
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 03:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You guys appear to be the only ones that saw the game. (Did I do that again?)

Peace
I thought about drawing a parallel situation to demonstrate how bent out of shape Jeff would get if the demographics of the parties involved were modified and someone else were making similar remarks about it....but I decided against doing so.
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 04:21am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
I thought about drawing a parallel situation to demonstrate how bent out of shape Jeff would get if the demographics of the parties involved were modified and someone else were making similar remarks about it....but I decided against doing so.
Some of you really over-think comments made on this board.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Some of you really over-think comments made on this board.

Peace
No, just pointing out how sensitive you are to one social topic while being so insensitve to another.