The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   free throw shots (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/27838-free-throw-shots.html)

just98 Wed Aug 16, 2006 04:06pm

free throw shots

One of the girls on my basketball team has a unique free throw warm up. when she is standing on the line she does almost a fake shot. she holds the ball at her chest and does a follow through check (not sure how else to describe it). she lets the ball roll off her hand and lets it hit the court picks it up and proceedes to shoot a free throw. is that legal. i guess what we are wondering is there any rules on what you can and can not do on the free throw line.

i dont know if that makes any sense to you, im not really sure how to describe it. if you get a chance could you let me know whats legal while on the line.

blindmanwalking Wed Aug 16, 2006 04:23pm

I'd have her change it. Sounds like it could be mistaken as a fake. Without seeing it, it's hard to know for sure.

Jurassic Referee Wed Aug 16, 2006 04:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just98
One of the girls on my basketball team has a unique free throw warm up. when she is standing on the line she does almost a fake shot. she holds the ball at her chest and does a follow through check (not sure how else to describe it). she lets the ball roll off her hand and lets it hit the court picks it up and proceedes to shoot a free throw. is that legal. i guess what we are wondering is there any rules on what you can and can not do on the free throw line.

i dont know if that makes any sense to you, im not really sure how to describe it. if you get a chance could you let me know whats legal while on the line.

You're taking your chances.....

NFHS rule 9-1-4---<i>"The free thrower shall not fake a try..."</i>

If the official deems it a faked try, you've got no argument at all if a violation is called.

RonRef Thu Aug 17, 2006 06:42am

Players are watching too much TV, take a couple and dribbles, bend your knees, and follow through. What so hard about that? Enough of all these goofy pre-free throw shows and just shot the ball.

bob jenkins Thu Aug 17, 2006 08:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
You're taking your chances.....

True, but (iirc) there's also a case play to the effect that the defense must recognize a pre-shot routine and not have it considered to be a fake.

I agree that if the ball is raised above the head, and the wrist "flicks" forward, it's becoming dangerously close to a fake.

Jurassic Referee Thu Aug 17, 2006 09:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
True, but (iirc) there's also a case play to the effect that the defense must recognize a pre-shot routine and not have it considered to be a fake.

I agree that if the ball is raised above the head, and the wrist "flicks" forward, it's becoming dangerously close to a fake.

That's why I said that the FT shooter was taking a chance. Depending on the official, it could be ignored, warned or called.

LarryS Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonRef
Players are watching too much TV, take a couple and dribbles, bend your knees, and follow through. What so hard about that? Enough of all these goofy pre-free throw shows and just shot the ball.

Huh...in my opinion there is nothing wrong with having a pre-shot routine. This one sounds like it could cause a problem but that doesn't mean they should all be stopped.

I know when I am golfing I try to follow the same routine before each shot type, putt...chip...tee shot. It can help the person focus and calm them down. It works the same way in other sports. Anything you can do within the rules of the game to help you stay focused is a good thing. I even know several officials you always prepare for a game in exactly the same way...down to arriving at the site, how they pack and unpack their bag, the way the get dressed, etc.

JRutledge Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:03am

Quote:

Not sure what TV has to do with this. I have never seen a pre-shot routine anything like this on or off TV. The purpose of the routine is to get the player in some kind of rhythm. This player probably took the routine too far and does not realize they might be doing something illegal. I would teach the kid to find another routine and move on.

Peace

RonRef Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
Not sure what TV has to do with this. I have never seen a pre-shot routine anything like this on or off TV. The purpose of the routine is to get the player in some kind of rhythm. This player probably took the routine too far and does not realize they might be doing something illegal. I would teach the kid to find another routine and move on.

Peace

NBA players are doing all sorts of routines before they shoot FT and kids are watching and trying to copy them. That is what I meant.

JRutledge Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:19pm

Quote:

NBA players are doing all sorts of routines before they shoot FT and kids are watching and trying to copy them. That is what I meant.

Why are you so concerned with what happens on TV? I have never seen any routine that looked like a fake. Maybe you have seen this, but I have not. I could take it a step further and say I have never seen a fake on a FT either on TV or in person. The player likely came up with this routine on their own and it happens to be boarding on legality.

Peace

Mwanr1 Thu Aug 17, 2006 04:10pm

Quote:

Why are you so concerned with what happens on TV? I have never seen any routine that looked like a fake. Maybe you have seen this, but I have not. I could take it a step further and say I have never seen a fake on a FT either on TV or in person. The player likely came up with this routine on their own and it happens to be boarding on legality.

Peace

I totally agree with you. I don't think I've once seen on TV any NBA player purposely or intentionally fake a free throw. But the weird thing is that NBA players are often charged for lane violation for some strange reasons. Shaq seems to be great at drawing "lane violations."

JRutledge Thu Aug 17, 2006 04:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mwanr1
I totally agree with you. I don't think I've once seen on TV any NBA player purposely or intentionally fake a free throw. But the weird thing is that NBA players are often charged for lane violation for some strange reasons. Shaq seems to be great at drawing "lane violations."

They are? I have not seen any more lane violations being called at the NBA level as any other level. I guess you must watch more NBA games than I do (which is very likely considering other than the playoffs I might not have watched a single NBA game from beginning to end).

Whether this is tried on TV or not, the player likely has never been told this might be a violation. I just do not understand what TV has to do with everything.

Peace

Ref Daddy Fri Aug 18, 2006 08:51pm

Have your Gal do her little technique before she gets the ball.

26 Year Gap Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mwanr1

Meadowlark and Meadowlark wannabes are the only ones I have seen fake a FT.

Mark Padgett Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:07pm

Quote:

Why are you so concerned with what happens on TV? I have never seen any routine that looked like a fake.

You've never seen the Globetrotters on TV? ;)