The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   a particular lanyard (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/27680-particular-lanyard.html)

mikeref Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:53pm

a particular lanyard

I have been looking for a particular type of lanyard for awhile. I have seen only a few refs with them and when I have had the opportunity to ask where they got it from they can't or won't help me.
The lanyard I am looking for is a noose style, but it is made of a heavier material than the standard so called NBA lanyard. The cord is thicker and the tightening mechanism is a larger circular devise with a push bootn center that allows you to tighten or loosen it. I really do not know how to describe this any better. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I have one type that is made from a plastic tubing with just a metal clasp as the adjusting part. I like this one but it is not the style that I am looking for.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Hope someone out there has a clue as to what lanyard I am describing and how to get one!
On another note, how do you feel about not using a lanyard? how many of you don't use one, and if you don't why don't you? Any advise for someone who wants to try not using one?

refnrev Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeref
(1)I have been looking for a particular type of lanyard for awhile. I have seen only a few refs with them and when I have had the opportunity to ask where they got it from they can't or won't help me.
The lanyard I am looking for is a noose style, but it is made of a heavier material than the standard so called NBA lanyard. The cord is thicker and the tightening mechanism is a larger circular devise with a push bootn center that allows you to tighten or loosen it. I really do not know how to describe this any better. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

(2) On another note, how do you feel about not using a lanyard? how many of you don't use one, and if you don't why don't you? Any advise for someone who wants to try not using one?

1.YEP, IT'S CALLED A ROPE AND YOU GET THEM AT THE LOCAL HARDWARE STORE. ALSO GOOD FOR HANGING OUTLAWS AND RUSTLERS IN MY FAVORITE MOVIES. :) ACTUALLY, I HAVE NI IDEA WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR, BUT I'LL BET SOMEONE ON THIS FORUM WILL.

2. IN MY NOT ALWAYS SO HUMBLE OPINION, I THINK IT'S DUMB. MY ADVICE: I WOULDN'T DO IT!

Official99 Sat Aug 05, 2006 01:36am

Let me know in a few days how many times you picked up your whistle off the floor?

tjones1 Sat Aug 05, 2006 01:44am

Quote:

I have one type that is made from a plastic tubing with just a metal clasp as the adjusting part.

I thought this was what you were describing above until I read this.

Quote:

On another note, how do you feel about not using a lanyard? how many of you don't use one, and if you don't why don't you? Any advise for someone who wants to try not using one?

Do whatever you like, granted it's acceptable through the eyes of your assignor. I will say it's not as easy as it looks. I would advise using a lanyard, much easier!

CLH Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:26am

I only use lanyards when I have to. Rest of the time I can catch it or take it out. Just makes me feel cool, like I have on grey shirt with blue under the arms. Don't remember last time I dropped it.:cool: :cool:

Luis Tue Aug 08, 2006 01:00am

Gray shirt with blue under the arms...... NBA Rbk ref shirt, lolz

mopar60 Tue Aug 08, 2006 08:40am

I definitley need a lanyard, at my first camp a couple weeks ago after correcting calling a foul I ended up bringing the ball with me to report the foul, tried to signal a block with the ball under my arm with my instructor behind me going "where are you going with the ball?" I would not have had enough hands to complete task if it were not for my trusty "Smitty".

Back In The Saddle Tue Aug 08, 2006 05:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mopar60
I definitley need a lanyard, at my first camp a couple weeks ago after correcting calling a foul I ended up bringing the ball with me to report the foul, tried to signal a block with the ball under my arm with my instructor behind me going "where are you going with the ball?" I would not have had enough hands to complete task if it were not for my trusty "Smitty".

Sounds like you need the new and improved "Ball Smitty." It reliably handles the ball for you during all reports, freeing your both your hands for use at the table. It comes in a variety of sizes, but only in matching black and white. Best of all you don't need to pay even a penny for it.

The "Ball Smitty" is, of course, your partner. ;)

tjones1 Tue Aug 08, 2006 06:19pm

Dang... for some reason I thought that was going in a different direction...thanks for clearing that up! :D

The New Guy Wed Aug 09, 2006 09:51am

During the winter, I always use a lanyard. In the summer, I don't use a lanyard. It is a way of making me slow down after I make a call. It gets me in a rhythm as the fall and winter approaches. By the time February and March roll around, I'm back to my old habits and it's time to go without the lanyard again for summer leagues.

You'll drop it the first few times you try not using it, but you'll get it after a game or two.

tjones1 Wed Aug 09, 2006 04:43pm

I won't disagree that it slows you down. It certainly does and for some it's a very effective tool. But when you drop it, you sure look silly. If you're starting off, best to use a lanyard. If you are rushing through your calls, I would use this idea as a last resort.