The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Question Ask for the Original Fox 40 NBA-style(Noose-like) Lanyard

Who could tell me that how to get an original Fox 40 NBA-style(Noose-like) Lanyard? I'm a Chinese ref, asked my cousin living in Las Vegas got 3 noose-like lanyards, they were just made by the ref equipment website but not the original Fox 40. And I would be very pleased to exchange some ref stuff with the original Fox 40 NBA-style(Noose-like) Lanyard some one could offer me . Thank you .

Last edited by Luis; Tue Aug 01, 2006 at 10:52am.
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

http://www.honigs.com/detail.asp?Cat=1&Sub=2&Item=670

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 02:11pm
M.A.S.H.

Silly question.... guessing Fox & Smitty nooses are the same? More commonly known as Smitty?
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
Silly question.... guessing Fox & Smitty nooses are the same? More commonly known as Smitty?
Fox 40 & Smitty are not the same lanyard. I have both and prefer the Fox 40 lanyard.

The smitty lanyard has a round slide while the Fox 40 lanyard is a rectangle. Fox 40's lanyard is also a higher quality braid and doesn't break as easily as the Smitty.

The link for the Fox 40:
http://www.fox40whistle.com/products...tail.php?id=19

The link for the Smitty:
http://shop.smittylanyards.com/x/product/ns1
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 04:45pm
M.A.S.H.

Alright, I'd never seen the Fox 40 noose before. I use the Smitty noose, so I know what it's like. Thanks Official99.
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Alright, I'd never seen the Fox 40 noose before. I use the Smitty noose, so I know what it's like. Thanks Official99.
No problem... glad I could help. The Smitty lanyard usually sticks to your skin, especially if you sweat, the Fox 40 lanyard doesn't... also a benefit.

Good luck in finding a Fox 40 lanyard, they are hard to find. I had to buy mine at the Hoop Mountain camp store. Redding Trophey in Redding MA, sells them.
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 09:10pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official99
No problem... glad I could help. The Smitty lanyard usually sticks to your skin, especially if you sweat, the Fox 40 lanyard doesn't... also a benefit.

Good luck in finding a Fox 40 lanyard, they are hard to find. I had to buy mine at the Hoop Mountain camp store. Redding Trophey in Redding MA, sells them.
Hmm, I haven't had any of those problems. I don't sweat a lot, however I do sweat. I usually rotate between a noose and the break-a-way. Just depends what I grab out of my whistle bag and which pocket I reach in, in the locker room, before we come out after halftime.
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hmm, I haven't had any of those problems. I don't sweat a lot, however I do sweat. I usually rotate between a noose and the break-a-way. Just depends what I grab out of my whistle bag and which pocket I reach in, in the locker room, before we come out after halftime.

Not wearing the noose. Seen way too many westerns in my day. Actually, I can't stand something being around my neck like it is. I'll stick to the regular smitty -- without a fish hanging from it!
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

I couldn't agree more with rev. Refuse to wear anything around my neck. The smitty one piece works fine. Sticking to the skin is another reason to avoid them.

I simply don't understand why anyone wouldn't wear the zipper/hook lanyard.
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
I couldn't agree more with rev. Refuse to wear anything around my neck. The smitty one piece works fine. Sticking to the skin is another reason to avoid them.

That's my whistle -- and I'm sticking to it!
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie

Because we do what the guys on tv do, cuz we think it looks cooler, same reason we sometimes don't use a lanyard at all, makes us think we're Steve Javie or Joe Crawford.
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

These lanyard are all designed so that, if pulled, they will fall apart, or the lanyard will come out of its slide... so you don't get strangled by the crazy fans or coaches who never liked the first whistle of the game.
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 02:20am
Do not give a damn!!

As usual this is about personal preference. I like the NBA Noose the best for me because it is not as heavy and it is one string wrapped in the middle with a piece of plastic. The Smitty lanyard (if I am remembering correctly) uses two strings to make the lanyard. I never liked the feel and the style of that lanyard. The NBA Noose is the only way to go for me. I do not have a problem with sweat or anything else for that matter when suing the NBA Noose.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 07:31am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
The Smitty lanyard (if I am remembering correctly) uses two strings to make the lanyard.
Mine is only one string. Looks just like the Fox 40 Noose, except the sliding device is different.
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I do not have a problem with sweat or anything else for that matter when suing the NBA Noose.

Peace
Which law firm do you use?

Ok, sorry, it's slow. I can't wait for the season to start.

I've used the smitty for years now; I also can't get used to having something around my neck. I have made one slight modification though - I put a small 1/2" diameter chrome metal ring on all my shirt loops. It's the same type of ring used for key rings; you know, the kind where you put the key on one edge, then slide the key around it until it's all the way through. I started doing that because sometimes it was hard to get the clip on the end of the smitty on and off the loop, especially if the loop was a thicker string. I just leave the ring on all the time, and it's a lot easier to take the smitty on and off the metal ring rather than the fabric shirt loop.

(Used with permission.)