Old Tue Jul 25, 2006, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Seattle School stripped of 2 State titles

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...bsealth25.html

They won 2 state titles but were busted for recruiting
Old Wed Jul 26, 2006, 07:21am
M.A.S.H.

I'm glad to see the hard penalty.

At least they were investagated... couple years ago here in Illinois, a team won the Class A State Championship. During the postgame interviews, the coach basically admitted to recruiting a player....... Oops!
Old Wed Jul 26, 2006, 07:55am
In Memoriam

oh, my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
I'm glad to see the hard penalty.

At least they were investagated... couple years ago here in Illinois, a team won the Class A State Championship. During the postgame interviews, the coach basically admitted to recruiting a player....... Oops!
tjones,
What's the rest of the story?
gotta link?
mick
Old Wed Jul 26, 2006, 07:57am
M.A.S.H.

Mick,

I'll try to dig one up.... JRut or M&M might be able to help me before I get to it.
Old Wed Jul 26, 2006, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
Mick,

I'll try to dig one up.... JRut or M&M might be able to help me before I get to it.
It was Hales Franciscan, 2003. The IHSA still has them listed as champs, but has taken their picture off of the March Madness site. Coach London inserted foot into mouth in his excitement at winning with his 'recruited' squad.

http://www.marchmadness.org/records/yearly/2005ba.htm

Last edited by SeanFitzRef; Wed Jul 26, 2006 at 01:26pm.
Old Wed Jul 26, 2006, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
http://www.morrisdailyherald.com/mai...799&TM=54791.4

An Actual Newspaper story on the incident.
Old Wed Jul 26, 2006, 02:46pm
M.A.S.H.

Thanks Sean for the links.
Old Wed Jul 26, 2006, 07:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Gee - there aren't any teams here in Oregon that recruit. Especially not any Portland metro area girls teams. Right, Juulie?
Old Thu Jul 27, 2006, 05:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Gee - there aren't any teams here in Oregon that recruit. Especially not any Portland metro area girls teams. Right, Juulie?
Uh....how close are you guys to Oregon City?
Old Thu Jul 27, 2006, 03:36pm
Esteemed Participant

The interesting thing ( to me anyway) about the Chief Sealth situation is that it was parents of two of the "recruited" girls who turned the coaches in...they claimed that the school called them to verify addresses and had "wrong" addresses down for the kids, and that's when - supposedly - they found out that the coaching staff had falsified addresses for their kids without parental knowledge...so not only did these clowns recruit, they apparently lied to the parents about it and told them there was nothing wrong with the kids going to school there.
Old Thu Jul 27, 2006, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
The interesting thing ( to me anyway) about the Chief Sealth situation is that it was parents of two of the "recruited" girls who turned the coaches in...they claimed that the school called them to verify addresses and had "wrong" addresses down for the kids, and that's when - supposedly - they found out that the coaching staff had falsified addresses for their kids without parental knowledge...so not only did these clowns recruit, they apparently lied to the parents about it and told them there was nothing wrong with the kids going to school there.
That is the only way they will ever get caught. It has to be someone from the inside ratting them out. Recruiting happens all over. Look at the private schools that give "academic" scholarships to athletes or players that all of a sudden move to a top flight school. It is good to see someone got caught and was punished for it.
Old Thu Jul 27, 2006, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblref
Uh....how close are you guys to Oregon City?
It seems to be all to common that continued success is followed by accusations of recruiting (or other forms of cheating). It is certainly posslble that a school's continued success is a natural result of having sucess. Could it be possible that several parents start seeking enrollement at a school after the school wins a couple of championships in hopes that their child will get on a winning team....or approaching the coach to see if their child can play for them. As a result, the team has may higher quality players to form their team from....all as a result of only the parents, not the school/team.

There is another school around here that is often accused of recruiting...but that only started when they had a few good years. In other years, where this was much less success, no one said a thing, yet their enrollment practices haven't changed. Hmmm.

Is this not just jealousy looking for a more popular way to express itself?
Old Thu Jul 27, 2006, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Camron -- speaking from experience in coaching and reffing and just being around basketball for a while i can tell you that for the most people involved (excluding players), id say over 50%, arent the most honest characters. This includes refrees who will talk smack behind your back and take every chance they get to step on you to get higher, and coaches who will bend every rule so that they can have a competitive edge.

There is one school here in Irvine who regularly ships in players from Santa Ana/Anaheim area and these kids are always of the varisty type their freshman year. Their lower level teams for the most part are mostly kids from Irvine. Do many coaches that don't recruit care that other do it -- from what i have seen its a mixed bag, a lot are to concerned with their program to give a hoot but they know it happens.

From what you said if most parents want their kids playing for the best eventually you react critcal mass and that program cant accept any more good kids because they run out of space -- those spill over to other schools and that cycle repeats itself.

In any sport success is only temporary and like everything you have your ups and downs -- if done smartly you will have more up than down but you can never be so good for so long in basketball and it be 100% legit. IMO