The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Shank!!!

After all these years, I've developed a pretty dependable toss. I used it comfortably this last couple weeks in a variety of games from 8th grade girls to college-bound boys. Except for once on Saturday.

My usual routine is to point to each basket and announce the color heading that direction, then toot the whistle and spit it out, take one step in, bounce the ball once, and uuup it goes. As I said, it's very dependable, and I always do it the same. But Saturday afternoon, I must have stepped a little too far, becuase my bounce hit the toe of my shoe and the ball shanked off oob. How incredibly humiliating!
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

If you're going to keep up this new practice, maybe smaller shoes are in order!

I shanked one off a player's foot a couple of weeks ago. Just as I was bouncing for the final time before the toss, he moved his foot to the perfect position that sent the ball flying. Credit my quick-witted partner for the yelling of "FORE!"
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

I use a similar method. During summer ball, I've also had fun by reminding the jumpers to not go for the head fake. Then when I step in, give em a head fake. It's been know to lighten the mood.

Last edited by ChrisSportsFan; Mon Jul 17, 2006 at 01:32pm.
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 02:59pm
In Memoriam

Cute. Jewel !
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

When will the video be posted?

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
After all these years, I've developed a pretty dependable toss. I used it comfortably this last couple weeks in a variety of games from 8th grade girls to college-bound boys. Except for once on Saturday.

My usual routine is to point to each basket and announce the color heading that direction, then toot the whistle and spit it out, take one step in, bounce the ball once, and uuup it goes. As I said, it's very dependable, and I always do it the same. But Saturday afternoon, I must have stepped a little too far, becuase my bounce hit the toe of my shoe and the ball shanked off oob. How incredibly humiliating!
At the levels you describe working do you think it is necessary to point to each basket and tell the teams which way they going for the opening jumpball? Do you also point out during the captains meeting that we are playing the red line all the way around the court and the red halfcourt line?
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 08:08am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRef
At the levels you describe working do you think it is necessary to point to each basket and tell the teams which way they going for the opening jumpball? Do you also point out during the captains meeting that we are playing the red line all the way around the court and the red halfcourt line?
Ron,
I know a high school/DII official that turns the captains around during the captains' meeting to clarify to the teams that they will be going toward the basket where their teammates are warming up.

Perhaps it is a Florida mechanic. But, as we know, suggested/preferred mechanics differ depending on the local area network.
mick
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 08:14am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRef
At the levels you describe working do you think it is necessary to point to each basket and tell the teams which way they going for the opening jumpball?
What harm can that procedure possibly do?

Do you also think that a directional signal by the R for the AP possession at the start of each quarter shouldn't be given either? The idea there is to let the teams know whose ball it is and which way that they're going, isn't it?

Anything that an official can do to stop teams from going the wrong way on the initial jump of the game is fine with me. That's just "preventive officiating" imo.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

I don't normally do it during the regular season, although based on JR's comments I might begin doing it. But at summer camps, where the teams have already played 3 games that day, understandably there is plenty of room for confusion. Sometimes just before the jump ball, some player will ask me "Which way are we going?" Heck, by my third time of the day I have trouble remembering which team is going which way. So it's a good opportunity to get everybody, including me, oriented before the toss.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JohnBark
it happened to my partner too...

Quote:

HS girls varsity game, my partner's toss is so bad, i blow it dead for another toss. the first toss was slanted toward team A's basket. so, he re-sets himself and toss it for the 2nd time and this time it goes/slants toward team B's basket. normally, i won't blow it a 2nd time. but, this toss was worse than the first one. all of us including the players are laughing. lucky for my partner, he got the 3rd toss perfect!!! at least the game started with a laugh instead of a T!!!
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Back In The Heck, by my third time of the day I have trouble remembering which team is going which way. So it's a good opportunity to get everybody, including me, oriented before the toss.[/QUOTE]

Yup, that would be me! It's a habit that I've developed and I have no reason to break it.
Old Sat Jul 22, 2006, 01:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Juulie - anytime you need tossing lessons, just give me a call. And - no British jokes about being a big tosser.
Old Mon Jul 24, 2006, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

[quote=Back In The Heck, by my third time of the day I have trouble remembering which team is going which way. So it's a good opportunity to get everybody, including me, oriented before the toss.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Yup, that would be me! It's a habit that I've developed and I have no reason to break it.
So am I in the doghouse with you, or is that just your new pet name for me?
Old Tue Jul 25, 2006, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
no, it's just my extreme inability in all things technical.
Old Wed Jul 26, 2006, 01:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
well it beats "Kibbles."