The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   May be relocating, need info on some areas (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/27515-may-relocating-need-info-some-areas.html)

Camron Rust Thu Jul 20, 2006 05:05pm

May be relocating, need info on some areas

Deleting my post as I no longer need the info.

Thanks anyway. ;)

M&M Guy Thu Jul 20, 2006 05:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust
It's preliminary at this point but I might be relocating. If I do, there are about 3 likely destinations with a couple more less likely. I'd appreciate any info you might have on the basketball officiating community (and general area information) in these areas. I've never been to any of them. Thanks.

Most Likely:
  1. Colorado Springs, CO
  2. Ft. Collins, CO
  3. Austin, TX
Less Likely:
  1. Dallas, TX
  2. Houston, TX

Ok, I haven't actually been to Ft. Collins, (and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express), but one member of our office just moved his family out there, and he will moving there himself in a few months. From what he's told me, it's a growing area, but relatively reasonable from a cost of living standpoint. I also just saw a survey on the local news this week that listed Ft. Collins as either #1 or #2 Nicest City in America, or something like that. I tried to Google the survey, but couldn't find it.

As to the officiating climate though, I have no idea. Good luck with the possible relocation.

Dan_ref Thu Jul 20, 2006 08:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Ok, I haven't actually been to Ft. Collins, (and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express), but one member of our office just moved his family out there, and he will moving there himself in a few months. From what he's told me, it's a growing area, but relatively reasonable from a cost of living standpoint. I also just saw a survey on the local news this week that listed Ft. Collins as either #1 or #2 Nicest City in America, or something like that. I tried to Google the survey, but couldn't find it.

As to the officiating climate though, I have no idea. Good luck with the possible relocation.

Well, maybe Camron will change his mind so here's my take:

My sister lives in Denver, she loves it.

I have a nephew living in Colorado Springs and he loves it.

That's 2 votes for Colorado.

I've been in Austin many times, it's a great city. But you need to really like hot weather to live through their summers. Really. Other than that, Austin is great.

IMO Dallas is overgrown.

I was in Houston once. I never want to go back.

mick Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Well, maybe Camron will change his mind so here's my take:

My sister lives in Denver, she loves it.

I have a nephew living in Colorado Springs and he loves it.

That's 2 votes for Colorado.

I've been in Austin many times, it's a great city. But you need to really like hot weather to live through their summers. Really. Other than that, Austin is great.

IMO Dallas is overgrown.

I was in Houston once. I never want to go back.

In June, my kid went to Colorado Springs (2 days) and then to Denver (2-1/2 days). Good time both, but longer in Denver.

FrankHtown Fri Jul 21, 2006 07:54am

Dan,

We in Houston are glad to hear that. :p

Houston has a very active Chapter...about 700 basketball officials. Some very good HS ball, both girls and boys. Lots of games, and it is still growing.

And we have Pro Basketball. Oh ,and the WNBA

Question: Does Houston have Professional football and baseball? Answer: No, we have the Texans and the Astros

As well as no state income tax.:)

Dan_ref Fri Jul 21, 2006 08:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankHtown
Dan,

We in Houston are glad to hear that. :p

And the score after 1 inning is Frank 1, Dan zero. :)

btw, I'm sure Houston's a great place.

Jurassic Referee Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
IMO Dallas is overgrown.

Yeah, overgrown with whiny, crybaby Mavs fanboys.......:p

rainmaker Fri Jul 21, 2006 02:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankHtown
As well as no state income tax.:)

No matter where Camron moves, he'll have to deal with a sales tax, which we don't have in Oregon. It makes property taxes and income taxes higher here, usually, but not always. And total local tax paid in the various states is very, very confusing.

What about self-serve gas? Do they have that in Houston?

And eco-terrorists? Does Houston have many of those?

And how many active volcanoes within 100 miles?

But most importantly, TASO, right? Camron, are you really going to be dealing with TASO?

Oh, wait, "No longer needed". Does that mean you just got a big raise here in Portland?

Mark Padgett Sat Jul 22, 2006 01:49pm

Camron - does Intel have facilities in all those places, or have you switched to Burger King? ;)