The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   I thought I would share. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/27390-i-thought-i-would-share.html)

JRutledge Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:09am

I thought I would share.

I was in a Borders Book Store on Sunday after getting something to eat. I went into the book store and eventually went to the sports section. I happen to see a book on the shelf called "Coach's Guide to Girl's Basketball" (or something like that). The author of the book was a college coach and went into many aspects of coaching girl's basketball. I just happen to look at this book and went inside out of pure curiosity why coaching girl's basketball would be different. I came across a section of the book talking about the rules of the game. They gave different types of fouls and the first foul listed was called (and I **** you not) "Reaching." Then it got better, they had a picture describing the foul as well with a description of the foul. "Reaching" was called "reaching across the body of a player with the ball." The picture showed this and there was literally no contact. I sat there in shock (not really but this is for effect) as I read this. Then the book had a couple of other "foul descriptions," like Tripping were listed as well. Then the book went into a description on how hard it was to make a block/charge call for the officials.

Now I know why we continue to hear "That's a reach" all the time when working games. :)

Peace

Raymond Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:18am

Must be a regional thing. We don't hear coaches calling for "reaching" fouls out here in the Mid-Atlantic ;)

M&M Guy Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
They gave different types of fouls and the first foul listed was called (and I **** you not) "Reaching." Then it got better, they had a picture describing the foul as well with a description of the foul. "Reaching" was called "reaching across the body of a player with the ball." The picture showed this and there was literally no contact.
Peace

Sigh... :rolleyes:

I would love to find out the name of the author, and what school they coach at, then send a copy of the book on to Mary Struckoff and Barb Jacobs at the NCAA to get their opinions.

Or, was the book actually in the "Fiction" section?

Jimgolf Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:31am

Wow, you think coaches can read? Your opinion of them has gotten higher.

TADW_Elessar Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:35pm

It may be The Complete Guide to Girls' Basketball by Michael D. Mullaney

M&M Guy Tue Jul 11, 2006 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TADW_Elessar

If that's the one JRut saw, he's not a college coach, he's a high school and AAU coach in Maryland.

JRutledge Tue Jul 11, 2006 02:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy
If that's the one JRut saw, he's not a college coach, he's a high school and AAU coach in Maryland.

That is not the book (at least by looking at the cover). I will go back to Borders and get the correct title. This book from what I read was written by a female coach.

Peace

Stan Tue Jul 11, 2006 03:44pm

Quote:

. This book from what I read was written by a female coach.

Peace

Maybe that explains it!:D

Adam Tue Jul 11, 2006 08:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan

Duck! :eek:

tmp44 Tue Jul 11, 2006 08:47pm

Quote:

Where's Juulie?????

canuckrefguy Wed Jul 12, 2006 01:23am

Quote:

I was in a Borders Book Store on Sunday after getting something to eat. I went into the book store and eventually went to the sports section. I happen to see a book on the shelf called "Coach's Guide to Girl's Basketball" (or something like that). The author of the book was a college coach and went into many aspects of coaching girl's basketball. I just happen to look at this book and went inside out of pure curiosity why coaching girl's basketball would be different. I came across a section of the book talking about the rules of the game. They gave different types of fouls and the first foul listed was called (and I **** you not) "Reaching." Then it got better, they had a picture describing the foul as well with a description of the foul. "Reaching" was called "reaching across the body of a player with the ball." The picture showed this and there was literally no contact. I sat there in shock (not really but this is for effect) as I read this. Then the book had a couple of other "foul descriptions," like Tripping were listed as well. Then the book went into a description on how hard it was to make a block/charge call for the officials.

Now I know why we continue to hear "That's a reach" all the time when working games. :)

Hmmmm..............

Quote:

I just happen to be watching Fox College Sports (Atlantic) this afternoon because I am bored. The Class 5A State Finals are on TV and there are 3 women working the game. According to the commentators this is the first time an all-female officiating crew is working a boy's state final in Florida.

This made me think about other states. Has this happen in other states. I cannot even think of a single female official to work a post season boy's game here, let alone a state final.

I also noticed another odd occurrence. In our Class AA (Big schools of a two class system) State Finals, there was a coach that won a 3rd place game and most of the tournament he was wearing a sweat suit and not a business suit or business look like all the other coaches. Now when I was watching this game from Florida, both coaches were in what I would call "business casual" at best. Now where I live it is very typical for coaches to be in suits for varsity contest and at the worst they were a sweater that looks like a Bobby Knight style look. Was the business casual look common in the state of Florida or other warm area states or is this just something unusual?

BTW, one of the coaches got T'd up.

If you could not tell already, I am really bored. :D

.............Wow - you've sure had a lot of spare time on your hands lately :p

refnrev Sun Jul 16, 2006 09:44pm

Quote:

Stan, I would expect to get "rained on" by Rainmaker pretty soon! And you just might have asked for it!

johnnyrao Mon Jul 17, 2006 08:33pm

JRut,

Was the "reach" followed by the "over the back" description?

JRutledge Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyrao
JRut,

Was the "reach" followed by the "over the back" description?

I will go back to the book store and tell you. I do think they might have had a "over the back" reference, but I am not sure at this time.

Peace