The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   over the backboard (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/27358-over-backboard.html)

hhawk Sat Jul 08, 2006 01:13pm

over the backboard

Ball going over the backboard is out (except fan shaped....)

But what defines going "ovver"? If one imagines a pole sticking out from the edge of the back board, is it (1) if ALL of the ball passes on the inside of the post? (2) ANY of the ball passes on the inside of the post? (3) MOST of the ball passes inside the post?

And does anyone know if the NBA rule is the same or different?

TADW_Elessar Sat Jul 08, 2006 01:50pm

NBA rules say:
Rule 8, Section II:
b. Any ball that rebounds or passes directly behind the backboard, in either direction, from any point is considered out-of-bounds.

and FIBA is quite different too:
23.1.2 The ball is out-of-bounds when it touches [...] the backboard supports, the back of the backboards or any object above the playing court.

Jurassic Referee Sat Jul 08, 2006 02:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hhawk
Ball going over the backboard is out (except fan shaped....)

But what defines going "ovver"? If one imagines a pole sticking out from the edge of the back board, is it (1) if ALL of the ball passes on the inside of the post? (2) ANY of the ball passes on the inside of the post? (3) MOST of the ball passes inside the post?

The ball is OOB if <b>all</b> of the ball ball goes past the back edge of the top of the board. The NBA rule is the same afaik.

swvaref Sat Jul 08, 2006 03:03pm

explain a little more in depth on the ruling in high school

Mark Padgett Sat Jul 08, 2006 03:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hhawk

Yes - the NBA rule definitely is the same or different.

SmokeEater Mon Jul 10, 2006 07:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
The ball is OOB if <b>all</b> of the ball ball goes past the back edge of the top of the board. The NBA rule is the same afaik.

Agreed, but could you reference in the rules where it says "all"?

Jurassic Referee Mon Jul 10, 2006 08:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeEater
Agreed, but could you reference in the rules where it says "all"?

The rules state that if the ball passes <b>over</b> the top, the ball is OOB , as per NFHS rule 7--1-2NOTE and case play 7.1.2SitA. Obviously, if any part of the ball hasn't passed over the top, then the ball hasn't passed over the top. Any part of the ball hitting the top is still in-bounds, as per the case play also. Iow, it's just common sense; there's no real need to spell it out explicitly in the rules imo.

SmokeEater Mon Jul 10, 2006 08:09am

Ok thanks for the reply. I agree.

Just looking for some clarification like you have done so many other times when someone posts an opinion. I can't tell the tone you meant when replying but it did come across rather hostile. I am sure that was not your intention. Thanks again.

Jurassic Referee Mon Jul 10, 2006 08:48am

Quote:

I can't tell the tone you meant when replying but it did come across rather hostile. I am sure that was not your intention. Thanks again.

Huh?:confused:

I didn't have any tone; I just answered your question. And when I am hostile, you'll sureasheck be able to tell anyway without guessing- believe me.:D

Dan_ref Mon Jul 10, 2006 09:16am

Quote:

Huh?:confused:

I didn't have any tone; I just answered your question. And when I am more hostile than usual, you'll sureasheck be able to tell anyway without guessing- believe me.:D

Edit for accuracy & truth

ChuckElias Mon Jul 10, 2006 09:27am

Quote:

it did come across rather hostile. I am sure that was not your intention. Thanks again.

That was merely "cranky" (or, what I call "Category 3") on the JR scale. The dogs probably just woke him up early again. You've still got a long way to go before "hostile". Here's the full scale for future reference:

1. touchy
2. crabby
3. cranky
4. grumpy
5. crotchety
6. grouchy
7. snippy
8. testy
9. disagreeable
10. surly
11. bearish
12. ornery
13. cantankerous
14. bilious

and finally,

15. hostile.

I hope this will come in handy when reading future posts from JR. :D

Dan_ref Mon Jul 10, 2006 09:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias
That was merely "cranky" (or, what I call "Category 3") on the JR scale. The dogs probably just woke him up early again. You've still got a long way to go before "hostile". Here's the full scale for future reference:

1. touchy
2. crabby
3. cranky
4. grumpy
5. crotchety
6. grouchy
7. snippy
8. testy
9. disagreeable
10. surly
11. bearish
12. ornery
13. cantankerous
14. bilious

and finally,

15. hostile.

I hope this will come in handy when reading future posts from JR. :D

you skipped over angry, livid, sour, dour, painful, pissy, petulant, puerile, petty and just plain prickly

Jurassic Referee Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:08am

I am also known to be churlish at times too.

It's true, it's true......

Jurassic Referee Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
you skipped over angry, livid, sour, dour, painful, pissy, petulant, puerile, petty and just plain prickly

Nope, Ron Jeremy is prickly.
http://deephousepage.com/smilies/respect.gif

M&M Guy Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:23am

Quote:

Nope, Ron Jeremy is prickly.

Nope, Ron Jeremy is Prickly.