The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Low Contact (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/27313-low-contact.html)

drinkeii Tue Jul 04, 2006 08:40am

Low Contact

I have noticed between coaching and reffing that a lot of players use their second hand on the hip or side of a shooter and push, often inducing a significant amount of displacement. They get very upset when you call this, because their other hand and arm were straight up in the air, and if there was any contact there, it was completely legal. Coaches seem to be very upset with this call being made as well. Many officials seem to miss it. I'm doing what I'm supposed to - watching the entire body as well as the ball, rather than just focussing on the ball.

Has anyone else had experience with this?

It also seems to lead to a comment I posted about camp stuff. Would anyone say that if the player has a clean block up top, but pushes down low in the process (not the "follow through" - at the same time) that one should pass on this foul? I say no - a foul is a foul, and too many people are passing on fouls (or being told to pass on fouls) to let spectacular plays that have fouls as part of them go un-addressed.

ChrisSportsFan Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:32am

There's a ton of D players who almost hold the O player down while they go straight up with the other hand for a block. All the ball watchers in the gym think you're screwing up the call. Tell the coach to watch the video and he'll see what you saw.

drinkeii Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
There's a ton of D players who almost hold the O player down while they go straight up with the other hand for a block. All the ball watchers in the gym think you're screwing up the call. Tell the coach to watch the video and he'll see what you saw.

Even the kids won't admit to it in most cases... "I didn't touch him", even when you point out where the contact was.

"Basketball is like Prison - No one in prison ever committed a crime (in their opinion), and no one on the basketball court ever fouls (in their opinion)" - Me

BktBallRef Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:45am

Who cares if they admit it or what they think. Call your game!

rainmaker Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by drinkeii
I have noticed between coaching and reffing that a lot of players use their second hand on the hip or side of a shooter and push, often inducing a significant amount of displacement. They get very upset when you call this, because their other hand and arm were straight up in the air, and if there was any contact there, it was completely legal. Coaches seem to be very upset with this call being made as well. Many officials seem to miss it. I'm doing what I'm supposed to - watching the entire body as well as the ball, rather than just focussing on the ball.

Oh, yea. You're right that it's a foul, and you have to call it. I signal by putting my elbow right at my waist with my lower arm straight out in front and my palm forward. I just give a little push forward with that arm. This tells the coach clearly what happened. Also be sure you call this foul on the attempted steal, especially when the stealer comes from behind. It happens a lot!

Camron Rust Tue Jul 04, 2006 01:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by drinkeii

It also seems to lead to a comment I posted about camp stuff. Would anyone say that if the player has a clean block up top, but pushes down low in the process (not the "follow through" - at the same time) that one should pass on this foul? I say no - a foul is a foul, and too many people are passing on fouls (or being told to pass on fouls) to let spectacular plays that have fouls as part of them go un-addressed.

I've seen it and called it. The different with teh camp comments is that this contact usually preceeds the block...aiding in blocking the ball by holding the shooter down or otherwise disrupting their attempt to shoot. That is a foul. When questioned about it, I respond "The high hand was clean, coach, but the other hand pushed him in the back". That usually works since it conveys you agree with what most people saw but had more info (they usually know it already too).