The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Time Out after Made Basket

Clarification:

High school rules

After a made goal either team can call a time out. However, the question is at what point after a made field goal can we no longer grant the T.O.? According to 4-5-7d "the ball is at disposal of player when it is available to a player after a goal". Furthermore, according to 7-6-1, a throw in starts when the ball is at the disposal of a player entitled to a throw in. Finally, 4-42-3, a throw in count shall begin when the ball is at the disposal of a player of the team entitled to it. I have always granted a time out up until the time that the player as retreived the ball and positioned themselves for the throw in. However, looking at the rules it appears that granting the TO and starting the in-bound count should occur as soon as a I beleive that the ball is at the disposal a player not when a player has positioned themselves for the throw-in.
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

I've always thought...once you start your count, no time out for the opposing team.

Your partner(s) may still come in after with "knowledge" of a time out request before your count started so be ready for that.

Hey old guys (aka JR), can B coach ask for a TO if the ball is at disposal of A1 but A1 hasnt elected to actually pick it up? Of course, you would have to see the ball laying there and team A making no reasonable attempt to pick it up for you to start your count.....and any opposing coach who called a TO in that sitch would in effect bail out the other team unless there was something like 6 or 7 seconds left on the game clock (high school).
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 06:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Larks,

My understanding is anytime the ball is at the disposal of the team; someone has the opportunity to pick up the ball. Now if they choose to not pick up the ball, that is there problem, but you should start the count when the ball is at the disposal of the team. I personally have taken my time before starting a count. Now if the team blatantly runs away from the ball, then I start the count. Early in my career I was starting the count almost as the ball was going through the hoop. Now after seeing the Simplified and Illustrated rulebook and the picture, I am much slower with the start of my count.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Larks,

My understanding is anytime the ball is at the disposal of the team; someone has the opportunity to pick up the ball. Now if they choose to not pick up the ball, that is there problem, but you should start the count when the ball is at the disposal of the team. I personally have taken my time before starting a count. Now if the team blatantly runs away from the ball, then I start the count. Early in my career I was starting the count almost as the ball was going through the hoop. Now after seeing the Simplified and Illustrated rulebook and the picture, I am much slower with the start of my count.

Peace
I tend to agree with Rut. As far as the time out, as soon as the ball checks the nets and before the team actually has control of the ball is a good time to grant a time out. I was doing a championship game this weekend at a camp and had this happen. The coach will normally tell the trail official if he wants a time out after a made basket.
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Padgett seems to be busy chasing gossip, so I'll put in a word here for proper vocabulary. Refhoops, you're new here, so I want to explain right off the bat (ooo, bat! what a nice word! warms the cockles of every Oregonian's heart!) that we only point out details like this so that we can show off a little, preen our feathers, and give ourselves a superior feeling.

Having said that, I'll just remind that the teams only request TO's; it takes a referee to call one.
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 05:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Padgett seems to be busy chasing gossip, so I'll put in a word here for proper vocabulary. Refhoops, you're new here, so I want to explain right off the bat (ooo, bat! what a nice word! warms the cockles of every Oregonian's heart!) that we only point out details like this so that we can show off a little, preen our feathers, and give ourselves a superior feeling.

Having said that, I'll just remind that the teams only request TO's; it takes a referee to call one.
rainmaker:

Great win last night for OSU. I have to admit though, I was pulling for the Tar Heels, but they threw the game away (literally) and the Beavers hung tough.
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks
I've always thought...once you start your count, no time out for the opposing team.
That's correct. The count starts when the ball is at the disposal of the inbounding team. The time available for the opposing team to request a TO ends when the ball is at the disposal of the inbounding team.

The problem is that "at the disposal" is not clearly (at least in my mind) defined. I use "has the ball OOB or reasonably could have had the ball OOB". And, it's all judgment.
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I use "has the ball OOB or reasonably could have had the ball OOB". And, it's all judgment.

Thats pretty much exactly what I do.