The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   communiciation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/27187-communiciation.html)

MPLAHE Sun Jun 25, 2006 07:39am

communiciation

I am interested to hear how many of you handle communication with a coach on a call that is not in your area. I have had two of these recently, one on a purported backcourt violation and one on a goaltend. In each instance, I was handling my area and did not see the plays, yet the coaches were yelling to me about the situatuion.

In one instance, I handled it poorly by saying it was not my call (backcourt) - that clearly did not satisfy the coach. It came across as passing the buck, which the coach did not appreciate.

I don't beleive we want to get into explaining to the coach whose responsibility it is to make a particular call, i.e goaltending. But when they are screaming that you missed an obvious ( in his mind) goaltending call, (which I was rightfully not observing as the lead), what do you say to him?

just curious

JugglingReferee Sun Jun 25, 2006 07:46am

I've had success with telling a coach that I will bring his concerns to the crew.

Whatever you do say, allow him to speak his mind once. After the second time, inform him that he's been heard. After a third, I believe you must "tell him to move on". ;)

JRutledge Sun Jun 25, 2006 09:56am

Yes I will tell a coach who had a better look at the play, whether it is me or my partners and to ask the appropriate official. If a coach thinks we missed a call and I was the "calling official" I will answer his question in a direct way if the coach is being reasonable. For example if a coach wants a GT for just slapping the backboard, then I will address that with what the rule is or explain you cannot have GT for slapping the backboard. It makes no sense for you to explain something you did not see or that you have no responsibility for. The coach should talk to the right official or they should not be complaining. Now if you have dual coverage, I might say that my partner and I had a good look at the play and either passed or I had the same thing that my partner had. Usually when two officials see the same thing, it is really hard for them to continue to complain with credibility. This is why double whistles can save crews on tough calls.

Peace

Dan_ref Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:10am

"Coach, I didn't see the play you need to discuss it with him."

or

"Coach I saw the play I agree with the call."

Jurassic Referee Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
"Coach, I didn't see the play you need to discuss it with him."

or

"Coach I saw the play I agree with the call."

or...."Coach, talk to the hand"....

http://www.forumspile.com/STFU-Hand_Puppet.gif

Brad Sun Jun 25, 2006 04:13pm

The NCAA actually came out last year and said that an official telling a coach "That's not my call" is unacceptable!

If I saw the call, but didn't have a great look at it, I will say something like "Coach, Brendan is right there and has a great look at that play."

Otherwise, I agree that you can say "I didn't have a good look at it, Coach."

One approach that I heard a top official say a few years ago is that he will sometimes ask, "What did you see, Coach?" -- this allows the coach to vent and explain what he is seeing. Normally you do not even have an opportunity to respond, as the game is going on. After listening you can respond, "OK - I didn't see the same thing." or "OK - we'll take a look at that."

Many times the coach just wants to vent and wants to know that we are acknowledging him.

Jurassic Referee Sun Jun 25, 2006 05:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad
If I saw the call, but didn't have a great look at it, I will say something like "Coach, Brendan is right there and has a great look at that play."

Naw, just tell him "Coach, Junky never misses <b>anything</b>!". :)

bannind Sun Jun 25, 2006 06:39pm

If a coach is questioning on me about a call, or lack there of by my partner - one of my favorite responses is 'Coach - if I can give you an answer to that, you should be yelling/b*tching at me for not watching the players in my primary/the 6 players directly in front of me.' (you can either condense or elaborate depending on the time you have to talk to the coach and/or your repoire with the coach) The coach usually has to stop for a second to think about what you just said and it adds a little humor to help diffuse a situation.

This of course doesn't work if your partner has reached a little out of his/her area and called something you chose to pass on. Then it is a standard 'Coach, I am sure *insert name here* will happily explain it next time he/she has a moment.' Or you can just throw them under the bus with 'Hell if I know Coach, as soon as you figure out let me know';)

Mark Padgett Sun Jun 25, 2006 06:55pm

"Didn't see it, coach. I was watching MY area." Also, NEVER say "sorry" to a coach.

Larks Sun Jun 25, 2006 07:21pm

Ive had this situation come back to bite me in the past. HS game 2 years ago, I was new trail running up table sideline near the coach. Long cross court pass, 50 feet away to a possible foul situation right in the slot's lap and the coach yells at me....WHAT, NO FOUL. Now, I've always been taught that if it's nothing from 5, it's nothing from 55. This play in particular, I would have been guessing at best on a call and with the slot on top of it, I passed.

I made the mistake in answering Coach - thats not my call. 3 min later, I ended up sticking him. Now - did he earn his T.....yeah. Did I help nudge the situation in that direction with my choice of wording? - yes.

At camp this summer, I heard the same thing Brad said: Telling a coach "That's not my call" is unacceptable! and hurts us as a crew.

What I now say is "Coach, my partner had a great look at that play, he'll be over in a few" or Coach, I had a different matchup, you'll have to ask my partner when he gets over here". I think in the case of my play above, I might say "Coach, I switched off ball when the play left my primary and didnt have a look, you will need to ask my partner"

ChrisSportsFan Sun Jun 25, 2006 09:31pm

shrug your shoulders, look at them and say "no comprende".

Most upper level coaches know who should be calling where, so to let them know you were not looking there is fine. So long as you truly should not be looking there.

Junker Mon Jun 26, 2006 08:58am

Straight from a college camp this weekend...never tell a coach you didn't see it, it wasn't in your area. A great canned answer I learned was, "My partner was right on top of that one, he or she will be over here in a rotation soon and you can ask them." You're not selling anyone out or making anything up.

BktBallRef Mon Jun 26, 2006 09:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
shrug your shoulders, look at them and say "no comprende".

Most upper level coaches know who should be calling where, so to let them know you were not looking there is fine. So long as you truly should not be looking there.

"No habla." :)

"Coach, I was officiating the players in the paint. I wan't looking at the division line."

No coach, it wasn't backcourt."

"I didn"t see it. I'll ask about him about it later."

I've never told a coach, "That's not my call." Always use other verbiage.

REFVA Mon Jun 26, 2006 01:46pm

Looks like you could write a book with many answer to give the coach, but never let your partners down by saying it's not my call ask him. Chrisfan was correct the expereince High school coaches will know who's call it was. If it was a summer league game, remember they are stand in coaches..

Adam Mon Jun 26, 2006 02:57pm

Sorry, Coach. This is my first game, I might have missed it.