The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   TO question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/27082-question.html)

ChrisSportsFan Sat Jun 17, 2006 09:12pm

TO question

Team A is shooting freethrows. Coach from team A let's me know that if his player hits, he wants a TO. Not 3 seconds later, coach B lets me know that if he hits, he wants a TO.

Question #1: If the shooter hits, who gets charged for the TO?

Additional situation: When Coach A saw Coach B request his TO, he told me to go ahead and give it to him.

Question #2: Does this really change anything? Coach A knew that Coach B was also requesting a TO but Coach B was not aware of Coach A's request.

I charged to TO to Coach A and he was fine with it.

BktBallRef Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:53pm

Oh brother! :rolleyes:

fonzzy07 Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
Team A is shooting freethrows. Coach from team A let's me know that if his player hits, he wants a TO. Not 3 seconds later, coach B lets me know that if he hits, he wants a TO.

Question #1: If the shooter hits, who gets charged for the TO?

Additional situation: When Coach A saw Coach B request his TO, he told me to go ahead and give it to him.

Question #2: Does this really change anything? Coach A knew that Coach B was also requesting a TO but Coach B was not aware of Coach A's request.

I charged to TO to Coach A and he was fine with it.

Here is how I woulda handled it. First off a coach can not ask for the timeout in advance like that, he may warn you its comming but he doesnt get it until he asks for it. So the answer to your questions is simple, whichever coach asks for the time out gets it.

Jurassic Referee Sun Jun 18, 2006 07:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzzy07
First off a coach can not ask for the timeout in advance like that, he may warn you its coming but he doesnt get it until he asks for it. So the answer to your questions is simple, whichever coach asks for the time out gets it.

Agree, grant the first legal request and then charge that request.

Jurassic Referee Sun Jun 18, 2006 07:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Oh brother! :rolleyes:

Also agree...:D

BktBallRef Sun Jun 18, 2006 08:40am

Just another reason to require the coach to make the request at the proper time.

Brad Sun Jun 18, 2006 04:15pm

How about saying, "Coach A has already requested a time out." ???

I'm sure that many on this forum would tell both coaches to ask them at the appropriate time and then have a time-out request contest between the two coaches to see who requests it first!!!

I had a coach setup in the spread this weekend, just running time off the clock. The other team refused to come out and guard him, so he just ran the time off - and then said to me, "I'm going to run it down to 7 and then I want a time-out."

There was about 7:40 on the clock... When it got down to 7:00 do you think that I asked him to request it from me again? No.

ChuckElias Sun Jun 18, 2006 04:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad
There was about 7:40 on the clock... When it got down to 7:00 do you think that I asked him to request it from me again? No.

I know you've climbed the ladder higher than I have, Brad, and I don't want to start this whole thing over again, but I personally think that's an unwise procedure. There's nothing over-officious or annoying about saying, "Ok Coach, I'll be right here. Just remind me". And that way you fulfill both the letter and spirit of the rule. JMO.

ChrisSportsFan Sun Jun 18, 2006 07:13pm

Quote:

Just another reason to require the coach to make the request at the proper time.

This would have been difficult to communicate to him from across the court in a gym where 2 games are going on and the shooter's already got the ball.

Jurassic Referee Sun Jun 18, 2006 08:37pm

Quote:

This would have been difficult to communicate to him from across the court in a gym where 2 games are going on and the shooter's already got the ball.

How did the coaches communicate to you then that they wanted TO's if the FT was made?:confused:

Just tell 'em to give you a TO signal if the FT goes and you'll be looking for it. Nothing hard about that at all.

Jurassic Referee Sun Jun 18, 2006 08:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias
I know you've climbed the ladder higher than I have, Brad, and I don't want to start this whole thing over again, but I personally think that's an unwise procedure. There's nothing over-officious or annoying about saying, "Ok Coach, I'll be right here. Just remind me". And that way you fulfill both the letter and spirit of the rule. JMO.

Agree with that too. What happens if you're watching the clock and something happens in your area?

Do your job; not the coach's.

BktBallRef Sun Jun 18, 2006 08:46pm

Quote:

We can come up with all kinds of excuses when we need to, can't we Chris? :rolleyes:

Again, that's exactly why you have the coaches request the TO at the proper time and recognize the first one the ask. The other coach will NOT be upset.

If you're gonna play Brad's game of letting them ask anytime they want to, then get your @ss across the floor and stay table side. :)

Jesse James Mon Jun 19, 2006 06:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad
How about saying, "Coach A has already requested a time out." ???

I'm sure that many on this forum would tell both coaches to ask them at the appropriate time and then have a time-out request contest between the two coaches to see who requests it first!!!

I had a coach setup in the spread this weekend, just running time off the clock. The other team refused to come out and guard him, so he just ran the time off - and then said to me, "I'm going to run it down to 7 and then I want a time-out."

You should have. If you give him the TO @ the 7:00 mark, sure as hell he wanted it @ 0:07 instead.

All the more reason to ask him for the signal at the appropriate time.

Jurassic Referee Mon Jun 19, 2006 06:53am

Quote:

And another reason is the last Mav's TO in last night's NBA game......:eek:

If you can get miss-communication at that level, you sureasheck can get it at lower levels also.

BktBallRef Mon Jun 19, 2006 07:30am

YEP!!!

Every official worth his salt knows you're going to want a TO after the second made FT or if you get the rebound on the miss. It's not necessary to say, "I want a TO after the FT."

I bet Avery Johnson NEVER does that again.