The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Camp Do's and Don'ts (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/27005-camp-dos-donts.html)

JRutledge Mon Jun 12, 2006 05:28pm

Camp Do's and Don'ts

Now I know this has been done before, but I wanted to see what people have learned from attending camps. Also have you learned something drastically from one year to another? I would also like people to make distinctions between a HS camp, a college camp or a major college camp.

Peace

IREFU2 Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
Now I know this has been done before, but I wanted to see what people have learned from attending camps. Also have you learned something drastically from one year to another? I would also like people to make distinctions between a HS camp, a college camp or a major college camp.

Peace

Well, in one of the camps I attended recently, we were told not to BS with the people who where evaluatings us. No small talk, no sucking up and no upstaging other officials in the games. We were also told to have fun and be ourselves and not to try to impress anyone. I am sure with all the of the camps, there are a lot of difference aspects that can be shared. I have always came from a camp with a great insight on the game.

kenref1 Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:24am

When receiving feed back DO NOT say "Ya but," Just say "ok" and do what they told you to do the next game.

REFVA Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:32am

Does anyone know about the D-league that the NBA has expanded on? Any information would be appreciated..

M&M Guy Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenref1
When receiving feed back DO NOT say "Ya but," Just say "ok" and do what they told you to do the next game.

Yabut, what if Philo really <B>isn't</B> the center of the universe?

:D

Raymond Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by REFVA
Does anyone know about the D-league that the NBA has expanded on? Any information would be appreciated..

I haven't heard anything "official", but there was a D-league official attending my AAU games this weekend and he said they are definitely expanding and looking for new officials. He said he thinks they will be concentrating on the Midwest for expansion.

Like I said, nothing "official", just small talk in between games.

REFVA Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:16pm

Thanks again, I heard the 4 new markets are DC, Baltimore, NY and don't remember the 4th. I heard they are looking for 16 to 20 officials. I just heard two camps upcoming, Ny and NJ. I was wondering if any of in the know officials had anymore info.

Raymond Wed Jun 14, 2006 01:09pm

Quote:

Thanks again, I heard the 4 new markets are DC, Baltimore, NY and don't remember the 4th. I heard they are looking for 16 to 20 officials. I just heard two camps upcoming, Ny and NJ. I was wondering if any of in the know officials had anymore info.

The guy I talked to said what he heard is that the NBDL is looking to eventually expand to 30 teams (one for each team in the NBA; currently the Lakers 'sponsor' a team in the league) with a movement towards midwestern teams.

ChuckElias Wed Jun 14, 2006 01:50pm

Do's and don'ts? Ok, DON'T wear these between games:

http://www.artthrob.co.za/01oct/images/redbull01a.jpg

M&M Guy Wed Jun 14, 2006 01:53pm

Only to the social hour afterwards.

Jurassic Referee Wed Jun 14, 2006 02:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Only to the social hour afterwards.

And they're only to be worn with bell-bottoms, a large-collared shirt with flowers on it open to the waist, and a gold spoon on a 14 pound chain around your neck.

You do <b>not</b> wear 'em with your Indian outfit, your cowboy outfit, your sailor outfit, and definitely not your cop outfit.

Y-M-C-A

I said the Y-M-C-A......

IREFU2 Wed Jun 14, 2006 02:30pm

Quote:

What would you like to know? You can put you resume in on NBA.com.

M&M Guy Wed Jun 14, 2006 02:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
And they're only to be worn with bell-bottoms, a large-collared shirt with flowers on it open to the waist, and a gold spoon on a 14 pound chain around your neck.

If that's your normal wardrobe, than just be yourself. Myself, I kinda like the policeman because he gets to wear patent leather shoes too.

Think of most camps as a job interview. Be on time to games and meetings. Dress appropriately - if the clinicians wear those shoes, than you probably should as well. Don't complain about how many games you have to do; ask to do more with a smile on your face. Be friendly or at least cordial with everyone, even the jerk who has to tell everyone about their D-1 schedule. Don't get drunk and stupid at the social time after games; most supervisors watch how you interact off the court to see what kind of person you are as well as what kind of official you are on the court.

I haven't been to my camps yet this summer, but I can't imagine any of those things have changed much over the years. Granted, you might have a little different mind-set if you're just going to a high school teaching camp, but whether it's a juco camp, or the NBDL, put your best foot forward. (No matter what you're wearing on it...)

Dan_ref Wed Jun 14, 2006 03:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Don't get drunk and stupid at the social time after games;

You are a cruel taskmaster, M&M.

M&M Guy Wed Jun 14, 2006 03:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
You are a cruel taskmaster, M&M.

Sigh...I know. It's a tough job, but someone has to be the designated taskmaster.