The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

I though I had seen it all

This was a first for me. I was working an AAU game last week, boys 17 and under. Team A was really out classed by Team B. Near the end of the first half my partner and I could see that team B was becoming a little frustrated. There where a couple of hard fouls, so we where keeping an eye on them so things did not get out of hand. The buzzer sounds for the end of the half and team B has an 18 point lead. Both teams walk to there benches and I bring the ball to the scorers table. I turn around and walk across the court where my partner is waiting. As my partner and I are talking we hear what sounds like a scuffle. My first though was player from team A & team B are getting in to some kind of shoving match. But what I saw was a shock to me. A1 and A3 are having a knock down drag out FIST FIGHT!
This must have been just what to team needed because they played much more inspired basketball in the second have.
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 08:38am
In Memoriam

Did you throw 'em both out?

NFHS or NCAA rules?

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Fri May 26, 2006 at 08:42am.
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 08:39am
MABO Member

Yea I have seen that before as well. Sometimes all it takes is a good old fashioned A$$ whoopin to wake everyone up. I watched my team captain (many moons ago) in college take a guys head and bang it into a wall a couple of times cus the guy was slackin off and mouthin the coach. It woke the whole team up and needless to say the guy never played the rest of the game or the next.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure I understand, Team B is winning and they are becoming frustrated? Up by 18 and frustrated!
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFVA
I'm not sure I understand, Team B is winning and they are becoming frustrated? Up by 18 and frustrated!
I'm Sorry typo. It was team A that was frustrated.
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

NFHS or NCAA rules?
Sounds like Extreme Boxing rules.
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

NFHS or NCAA rules?
It was NFHS rules. We didn't have to throw them out the coach sat them both out.
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 01:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref-X
It was NFHS rules. We didn't have to throw them out the coach sat them both out.
They had a fight and you didn't toss them?

What if the coach hadn't have sat them?
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What if the coach hadn't have sat them?

JR
Remember it was half time when the fight started fighting. When the coach and the players broke up the fight they where removed from the GYM. The coach told my partner they where done for the night and we where ok with that. You are correct, we could have officially ejected then but that where already gone. So we just went forward with the second half.
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Fighting is an automatic ejection and possible suspension of multiple games thereafter.
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Fighting is an automatic ejection and possible suspension of multiple games thereafter.
You are correct. But this is some spring league, where the coaches assign there own Officials, they are also the sight managers. They say it is aau,but I dout that also. So I have know idea it there will be any supensions handed out. If I had to guess, I would say that the next game those two players would be back on he floor.
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But this is some spring league, where the coaches assign there own Officials, they are also the sight managers. They say it is aau,but I dout that also. So I have know idea it there will be any supensions handed out. If I had to guess, I would say that the next game those two players would be back on he floor.
That makes it tough on the officials to do their job. They'll be the first to sue you if someone gets hurt due to a questionable call....Can't speak for you, but I wouldn't do it if I had those kinds of restraints on me.....Your reputation is on the line...
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

This isn't a fight.

Quote:
Quote:
This isn't a fight. Why would you eject anyone?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 02:39pm
Administrator

Yes, this was a fight, but it was not a fight as defined in NFHS and NCAA rules. This disagreement happened between teammates during the halftime intermission. This is a problem that falls under the coach's jurisdiction. Do NOT get involved.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Yes, this was a fight, but it was not a fight as defined in NFHS and NCAA rules. This disagreement happened between teammates during the halftime intermission. This is a problem that falls under the coach's jurisdiction. Do NOT get involved.

MTD, Sr.
Ok, I admit I need a long weekend, but I'm confused - where's the line being drawn? Is it because the fists are being thrown between teammates? Or, is it because it's halftime? It still happened while the officials were on the floor, so isn't that still within the officials' jurisdiction? If the exact same scenario was happening between two opponents, would you let that go as well? It just seems like a no-brainer; both kids are ejected. Since the coach came up and said they were already gone, and this is a spring game, I wouldn't thought twice about anything else. During the regular season, I would still make sure it was marked in the book that they were ejected for fighting, so there is no doubt later on.

(Used with permission.)