The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Our state association recently mailed a rough draft of the "new" officials registration form to me for some opinions.
It seems, that beginning in 2004-05, they would like to conduct Criminal History Background Checks on all new officials and all officials in subsequent years.
I reviewed the form, and offered my opinion.
Do any other states require this? If so, how does it work, and what do they ask on the registration form?
Thanks in advance.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
In Texas they simply ask if you have been convicted of a felony offense with the exception of traffic violations (as far as I remeber). And thats it.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like a pretty good idea. I know that little league coaches require this, all they ask for is full name and SSN if I remember correctly.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 08:50pm
9 times

Just moved to AZ this year. They do it here.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

In WISCONSIN

Submit your fee with a card that is signed-off by an Athletic Director and an already certified official and you are "in."

The sign-off states something to the effect that based on your knowledge of the individual you believe s/he is of proper character to fulfill the duties of sports official.

Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

My question would be is this really an issue? I can see it with coaches, as they deal with the kids everyday in more private settings. I can't imagine anything happening of criminal nature at a game where an official is working. Sounds like a politically correct idea.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
We have to allow a background check here in Oregon. Tony, I think part of it isn't so much the relationship to the players that's the issue, as just a general respect for the law. A ref that had an embezzlement conviction, for instance, is certainly no threat to a player! But that person may not be an asset to a refs association, if he or she isn't concerned about maintaining a certain level of responsibility and trustworthiness.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

We don't do it here in VA (at least in northern VA). I think it is because we are so close to DC, and everyone knows that government workers are all honest, hard-working, and law-abiding. BTW, there are 4 advertisements for background checks at the top of this thread.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 08:58am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb IHSA

We have had them in Illinois for some time.

Not sure what they do with us veterans anymore, but we at one time had to send a copy of your driver's license or State ID with a picture to renew our license. We have not had to do that for some time, but I am almost positive that they continually check for convictions or accusations in legal matters. But I am almost positive they still do it for newer officials.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Here in Washington we have to submit one every three years. From what I understand, they are basically just looking for sex offenders and trying to keep them from getting anywhere near kids.

Z
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Here in Washington we have to submit one every three years. From what I understand, they are basically just looking for sex offenders and trying to keep them from getting anywhere near kids.

Z
This is my point, rainmaker. What are the chances of this actually happening? Being a sport official does NOT put one in a position to take advantage of a child, any more than being a fan would. Now, I had to pass a background check to go to work for the school system and I understand that requirement. But this just seems to be overzealous.

Z, do you know if they've ever sniffed out a sex offender.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
We don't do it here in VA (at least in northern VA). I think it is because we are so close to DC, and everyone knows that government workers are all honest, hard-working, and law-abiding. BTW, there are 4 advertisements for background checks at the top of this thread.
Darn right we are! I do wonder how many of us have manufactured backgrounds.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 10:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
I do wonder how many of us have manufactured backgrounds.

[/B]
I was charged once with "impersonating an official".
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Background checks on coaches

The DC CYO organization has required background checks on coaches for a long time. We even have to submit finger prints. This is required along with a NYSCA training program. Amazingly, they also give us copies of the rule book.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

Z
This is my point, rainmaker. What are the chances of this actually happening? Being a sport official does NOT put one in a position to take advantage of a child, any more than being a fan would. Now, I had to pass a background check to go to work for the school system and I understand that requirement. But this just seems to be overzealous.

Z, do you know if they've ever sniffed out a sex offender.
The check we go through in Wa, (Wa State Patrol Background check), is the same that the teachers go through. If they have caught any (sex offenders), they don't say. I do know, as an assigner, that we have had a few hits for felony convictions. these situations are reviewed with the legan counsel for the state on a case basis. I disagree with your statement that being a sports official does NOT put in a position to take advantage. If you work girls BB there are situations that questionable in view of the lack of adequate facilities for showers/dressing areas. To place an individual who has been convicted of a sex crime into a situation would be negligible on the part of the organization. I am not sure IF it has ever happened but understand the position of the State organization in taking every precaution to avoid it.