The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Question from last night. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/26376-question-last-night.html)

LarryS Thu May 04, 2006 09:56am

Question from last night.

I arrived early for a meeting at a local high school last night. There were some Spring League games being played so I ducked into the gym to watch. Fairly decent play…officials did a good job of letting them play but keeping things under control. There was one thing that I have a question on…I got home late and didn’t think to look in the book this morning.

A1 attempts about an 8’ shot, A2 moves into the lane and jumps toward the hoop in an attempt to get a possible rebound…but it bounces off away from him. Instead of pulling his hand back or away from the rim, he grabs the ring and pulls it down 3 or 4 inches…ball is not even close to the basket. The lead blows his whistle and calls a T on A2 for grabbing the rim.

I have never seen that called on rebounding action. A2 could have easily (IMO) avoided contact with the rim. Was that a correct call? Was the official confused about the rule?

Thanks,

ChuckElias Thu May 04, 2006 09:59am

By rule it is a technical foul to grasp the rim, except to protect oneself. Had to see it to know if he was protecting himself. Otherwise, the ref had the rule right, seems to me.

LarryS Thu May 04, 2006 10:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias
By rule it is a technical foul to grasp the rim, except to protect oneself. Had to see it to know if he was protecting himself. Otherwise, the ref had the rule right, seems to me.

Thanks,

That is the way I remember reading the rule but I wasn't certain. From my angle, the player was definetely NOT protecting himself.

Dan_ref Thu May 04, 2006 11:54am

Might also have been a strict league rule that prohibits *any* contact with the rim. You sometimes see that kind of rule at these games.

Junker Thu May 04, 2006 12:52pm

Sounds like a good call except if the lead is looking at the rim, who's watching the rebounders? This should have come from T or C. Was it at least a patient whistle?

LarryS Thu May 04, 2006 02:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junker
Sounds like a good call except if the lead is looking at the rim, who's watching the rebounders? This should have come from T or C. Was it at least a patient whistle?

I thought of that immediately :)

The play was the result of a fast break after a mid-court turnover...and the T was slow getting down the court (I call this league on some nights and this would have been their third game of the night...ten minutes between games). I decided to give the lead a break and assume that since there were only 4 players in the area he took a quick look up. And yes, it was a patient whistle.

JRutledge Thu May 04, 2006 02:31pm

Quote:

The T or the C might not be able to see who is under the rim or not and where players might be. I do not see this as only a T or C call. Anyone can see this and can make this call. I have never known a Lead official that could not tell someone was hanging on the rim.

Peace

BktBallRef Thu May 04, 2006 03:51pm

Quote:

If A2 is a rebounder, grabs the rim and the L calls a T, isn't the L watching the rebounders? :confused:

zebraman Thu May 04, 2006 04:34pm

Quote:

I don't think the lead should call a B/I or goaltend because that means that the lead is looking up at the rim. But the lead is watching the players under the hoop and I have no problem with the lead calling a T for one of those players hanging on the rim. That would be hard for the lead to miss. :)

Z

Snake~eyes Thu May 04, 2006 10:04pm

I have no problem with a BI/goaltend/T in transition. For example, L has the two players on a wide open break and makes one of the mentioned calls.