The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

$15 lighter

I had a career first last night. I play after the season in a pretty decent Y league. They ask me to officiate every year, but I decline since I'm playing and that just doesn't look good. The guys they do get....well I appreciate them being out there, but they are rec referees. There is a severe lack of hustle that kind of bugs me, but I don't say anything. So last night, we're undefeated, playing another strong team with only 1 loss. In a tight first half, we get the ball after a held ball. We come down the floor with the other team complaining the whole way that it should be theirs. One of our players hits a 3, immediately followed by the whistle. The less experienced of the two officials (an older guy that works only JH and doesn't try to move up to my knowledge) waves off the 3 and goes to the bench to make sure it should have been our ball. It was, but the basket is still waved off. I just kept my mouth shut and internally rolled my eyes. So early in the second half, I get prettyk good defensive position at about the free throw line and take some contact. I get called for a block from the opposite free throw line (that's as far as the guy made it). I say to myself, "You gotta be kidding me." The Lead behind me, as I was getting up asks if I said something. In a purely conversational tone I said, "Yes." and recieved my first ever career T. I wish I had a tape of the game because I'm sure the look on my face was priceless. The rest of the gym knows I work a pretty decent HS varsity schedule and people are falling off the benches laughing at me. So, now I have a $15 fine for a T (good rule by the way). I guess it was probably a good learning experience to be on the other side of a quick T. I'm sure I have thrown a few in the past that were a little suspect. The moral of the story is don't be honest I guess. Anyway, we lost by 5 or so (the T and waved off 3 didn't help, but neither did our turnovers and missed shots). At least I can laugh about it now.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to AZ_REF
My policy is the opposite. If I ask you if you said something and you say yes, we have a little chat. If you lie to me or give me the "I wasn't talking to you", we have a little break while the other team gets two shots.

(Yes I know this could be construed as baiting, however in some games you need one)
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 09:54am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
I had a career first last night. I play after the season in a pretty decent Y league. They ask me to officiate every year, but I decline since I'm playing and that just doesn't look good. The guys they do get....well I appreciate them being out there, but they are rec referees. There is a severe lack of hustle that kind of bugs me, but I don't say anything. So last night, we're undefeated, playing another strong team with only 1 loss. In a tight first half, we get the ball after a held ball. We come down the floor with the other team complaining the whole way that it should be theirs. One of our players hits a 3, immediately followed by the whistle. The less experienced of the two officials (an older guy that works only JH and doesn't try to move up to my knowledge) waves off the 3 and goes to the bench to make sure it should have been our ball. It was, but the basket is still waved off. I just kept my mouth shut and internally rolled my eyes. So early in the second half, I get prettyk good defensive position at about the free throw line and take some contact. I get called for a block from the opposite free throw line (that's as far as the guy made it). I say to myself, "You gotta be kidding me." The Lead behind me, as I was getting up asks if I said something. In a purely conversational tone I said, "Yes." and recieved my first ever career T. I wish I had a tape of the game because I'm sure the look on my face was priceless. The rest of the gym knows I work a pretty decent HS varsity schedule and people are falling off the benches laughing at me. So, now I have a $15 fine for a T (good rule by the way). I guess it was probably a good learning experience to be on the other side of a quick T. I'm sure I have thrown a few in the past that were a little suspect. The moral of the story is don't be honest I guess. Anyway, we lost by 5 or so (the T and waved off 3 didn't help, but neither did our turnovers and missed shots). At least I can laugh about it now.
Makes me wonder if the two refs knew who you were also and that's why he had the quick trigger...
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Could be. I've worked with one (not the one that whacked me). I do have to say in my defense, that's the absolute most complaining I've ever done. I have no problem with how they call the game, I won't complain about that. My problem with the whole situation is where the block call came from. Oh well, now I know how it feels from a player's perspective. When you open your mouth, you're rolling the dice.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 01:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

Unhappy tested the waters again myself

I decided to re-join the playing circuit last week to help my squadron in the play-offs of the Old-man intramural league on base. Rest assured, if this had been me before my officiating days I would have picked up a 'T' somewhere along the line. I played in 4 games before we got knocked out the play-offs.

Everyone who worked my games were officials I have worked with (including one I do some YMCA games for and another who is a very good friend and mentor of mine).

My teammates, despite the full knowledge that I'm a ref, stilled managed to pick up 2 techs, including 1 in a game we were winning by 20. I tried my best to keep my teammates composed after controversial calls but some of them will never learn.

My mentor laughed at me the game he worked b/c he knows 5 years ago I probably would not have seen the end of that game. I'll just say his partner unecessarily expanded his coverage area from time-to-time but then froze up during game management situations. Oh well, that experience and the swollen, locked-up knee I suffered convinced me once-and-for-all that I'm now solely meant to be a referee and that my playing days are over for good.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds to me like you didn't get your $15 worth.
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 03:47pm
Huck Finn

Last month the officials from one organization I work for played against a team from Henderson Hall (Marines). We lost the game by 8 points and I nearly avoided any flashbacks. I was hot, well I'm still hot right now, and my teammates didn't get me the ball. At the end of the game we were trying to foul. One of the (3) officials knows how I am as a player and he didn't call the first foul. Once I caught up to the player again, I fouled him again and said in a "loud voice", "Call the foul!" I didn't get a T but I was pissed; I have had several conversations with this guy and he should have known to call the foul when we are trying to foul.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 09:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_REF
My policy is the opposite. If I ask you if you said something and you say yes, we have a little chat. If you lie to me or give me the "I wasn't talking to you", we have a little break while the other team gets two shots.

(Yes I know this could be construed as baiting, however in some games you need one)
I think Junker's ref was baiting. Offering a conversation isn't baiting.

IMO
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you don't know what he said, you've no business throwing a T.

And if you didn't hear what was said, then "I wasn't talking to you", is no reason to throw a T.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Apr 22, 2006, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

99.99% of the time I heard him pretty well. This can be one of those teachable moments. I would never do this in a college game but in a high school game if the situation warrants it I have no problem.
Old Sat Apr 22, 2006, 12:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Could be. I've worked with one (not the one that whacked me). I do have to say in my defense, that's the absolute most complaining I've ever done. I have no problem with how they call the game, I won't complain about that. My problem with the whole situation is where the block call came from. Oh well, now I know how it feels from a player's perspective. When you open your mouth, you're rolling the dice.
Dude, I wish I could have seen that.

Wonder if this ref got his "take-no-crap-in-rec-games" attitude from watching someone else ref. Wonder who that could have been.

Man, I'm drawing a real blank here, Jeff.
Old Sat Apr 22, 2006, 12:55pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Dude, I wish I could have seen that.

Wonder if this ref got his "take-no-crap-in-rec-games" attitude from watching someone else ref. Wonder who that could have been.

Man, I'm drawing a real blank here, Jeff.

Snaq.... I was kind of thinking the samething... I wonder who he got it from?!?!
Old Sat Apr 22, 2006, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
99.99% of the time I heard him pretty well. This can be one of those teachable moments. I would never do this in a college game but in a high school game if the situation warrants it I have no problem.
So HS games have less value than college games?

Makes no difference. If you didn't hear what he said, you have no business throwing the T.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Apr 22, 2006, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
So HS games have less value than college games?

Makes no difference. If you didn't hear what he said, you have no business throwing the T.
Let me clarify 99.9999% of the time I know exactly what was said. The other .0001% I heard enough of it to have a good idea.

And all games have the same value. I take as much pride in what I do and put in as much effort in a 6th grade Jr High game as I do in a college game. The difference is that I expect a lot more from a college player. At the lower levels there are more opportunities to teach. You also have more latitude in how you handle situations.
Old Sun Apr 23, 2006, 08:48am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

If you didn't hear what he said then what is the purpose of asking him/her to repeat it? That's just asking for trouble. No need to put s**t in the game.