The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 03, 2001, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
At camp last week (very fun and EXHAUSTING!!) had the most bizarre situation! Camp rules were three 30-second time outs per team per game, except that at 2 minutes to go, all remaining 30's were discarded and each team got one 45-second. I know, it's weird, but it was the rule, and it was explained to the coaches from the beginning. This particular game was a close one. Team A leading by 4 inside of 2 minutes. B makes a basket, A grabs the ball steps out of bounds and all the team A players start yelling, "Time, time, time" I looked up at the coach who is waving his hands around in front of him, so I call time-out. Trouble was, he had already taken his one time out, but I didn't realize that until everyone was in the huddle and it was too late for a do-over. So I tell the coach the bad news, and he says, (of course) "I didn't call it, I thought he called it!" I figured, here's my chance to practice dealing with an angry coach. So I stick to my guns give the technical (which wasn't shots but just 2 points and the ball). So now team A is ahead by 2, without possession, and MAD!! Team B gets the ball at half-court, dinks around for a few seconds, and the ball gets stolen. A1 is racing up court, and B1 reaches in from behind him and grabs him around his (very large) waist with both hands! I think, "There is a God!" I call the foul, go to coach B and say, "Okay if I'm going to be legalistic about his extra time-out, I have to be legalistic about this grab from behind. It's an intentional foul, so we give them two points and the ball" He stared at me for about 10 seconds, and then started laughing, as did I. He said, "You owe me big time for bailing you out!" With which I heartily agreed...

PS Team A won by two
Old Tue Jul 03, 2001, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Who cares if the coach called and or wanted a TO, the players did. And if saying time is some weak arse attempt at a play call, they need a new play.

As for the intentional, it sounds like one. But why the need to explain it to the coach?
Old Tue Jul 03, 2001, 01:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Juulie - are you saying you would not have called the foul as intentional if the situation would have been different as to what happened previously?

I hope not.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2001, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I would have called it intentional at any rate, since it was so clear, but it was nice to have a coach laugh at the situation instead of complaining
Old Thu Jul 05, 2001, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I would have called it intentional at any rate, since it was so clear, but it was nice to have a coach laugh at the situation instead of complaining
From the Coach: But he was going for the ball!!!!

I'd much rather hear laughter myself! Sometimes things just work themselves out like that.