The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   here are the final 4 officials (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/25862-here-final-4-officials.html)

jr Fri Mar 31, 2006 02:06pm

here are the final 4 officials

from a great source...my buddy who i officiate w/ that is tight w/ teddy v...

ucla/ lsu: ted valentine/ karl hess/ curtis shaw
geo mason/ fla: ed corbett/ ed hightower/ i can't remember the 3rd
final: tony greene/ jim burr/ john cahill

rulesmaven Fri Mar 31, 2006 02:30pm

Wasn't Cahill a FF rookie last year? Now he's got two finals in a row.

I wonder how many games Cahill and Burr have worked together. Very big number, I would imagine.

The New Guy Fri Mar 31, 2006 03:03pm

Would the third on the GM-FL game be Tom Eades? That would be the same crew that worked Florida's regional final game against Villanova.

From what I've read recently on this site, crews don't necessarily have to stay together, but that would be logical for continuity purposes.

Has Eades ever made a Final Four in the past?

Am I recalling correctly that Cahill had a FF assignment back in the mid-90's... Perhaps the year Arkansas won the title (1994, I think). Can anyone confirm that?

BktBallRef Fri Mar 31, 2006 03:57pm

Good to see Curtis Shaw back at the Final Four. Since the MSU-ISU Regional Championship screwup by the other two members of the crew a few years back, I hadn't seen much of Curtis. Always thought he did a great job. Seems to me that this is TV's first trip back to the FF in a while as while. Karl Hess does a great job in the ACC, plus he takes very little crap from K! :)

jbduke Fri Mar 31, 2006 05:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Good to see Curtis Shaw back at the Final Four. Since the MSU-ISU Regional Championship screwup by the other two members of the crew a few years back, I hadn't seen much of Curtis. Always thought he did a great job. Seems to me that this is TV's first trip back to the FF in a while as while. Karl Hess does a great job in the ACC, plus he takes very little crap from K! :)

BkB,

I shut it down that year after the third round, so I didn't see the Midwest Regional Final (read, national championship game) "screw-up." What happened?

BktBallRef Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:59pm

ISU player drives the lane. MSU player moves in front of him. C tableside, signals block, L signals charge. Shaw is trail. The L and C talk, looking like they're trying to decide who's right. Shaw comes in and correctly points out that it's a double foul. It's the ISU player's 5th, Eustachy gets a T. A minute later, Eusdatchy get another T, he's gone and MSU goes on to win.

BTW, the play was clearly a block.

TriggerMN Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
ISU player drives the lane. MSU player moves in front of him. C tableside, signals block, L signals charge. Shaw is trail. The L and C talk, looking like they're trying to decide who's right. Shaw comes in and correctly points out that it's a double foul. It's the ISU player's 5th, Eustachy gets a T. A minute later, Eusdatchy get another T, he's gone and MSU goes on to win.

BTW, the play was clearly a block.

...and it was Paul Shirley's 5th foul, knocking him out of the game...

As an ISU alum, I am not bitter!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

BktBallRef Sat Apr 01, 2006 09:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriggerMN
...and it was Paul Shirley's 5th foul, knocking him out of the game...

As an ISU alum, I am not bitter!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I wrote, "It's the ISU player's 5th, Eustachy gets a T."

BktBallRef Sun Apr 02, 2006 05:25pm

Man, the woods are full of idiots this time of year. jealous and Envy abound.

dblref Mon Apr 03, 2006 06:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cockle Burr
John Cahill officiated at the 1999 & 2000 Final 4's also. This is his 4th Final 4

And your point is?

biz Mon Apr 03, 2006 08:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dblref
And your point is?

Look up above before you get snippy!!! He was clearing up how many Final Fours Cahill has worked for another poster. There's no reason for you to be rude.

BktBallRef Mon Apr 03, 2006 08:47am

Shame on you, dblref, for being rude! Chastised by a newbie!!!! :D

Jurassic Referee Mon Apr 03, 2006 08:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by biz
Look up above before you get snippy!!! He was clearing up how many Final Fours Cahill has worked for another poster. There's no reason for you to be rude.

Why? He's just another one of the idiotic fanboys that show up here every March just to crap on our fellow officials. T'hell with him! He deserves everything that he gets.

rulesmaven Mon Apr 03, 2006 07:09pm

Eesh -- sorry guys, I did ask the question about Cahill. Didn't mean to start anything!

Peace.

zebraman Tue Apr 04, 2006 08:21am

Let's see, how do I word this carefully without getting criticized for being racist? OK, I'll just say it. Who was the African-American working the final last night? Was that Tony Greene? What an absolute stud. Great mechanics, great presence, great call selection, looks like an athlete and is always in great position. I really enjoyed watching him.

Z

refTN Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebraman
Let's see, how do I word this carefully without getting criticized for being racist? OK, I'll just say it. Who was the African-American working the final last night? Was that Tony Greene? What an absolute stud. Great mechanics, great presence, great call selection, looks like an athlete and is always in great position. I really enjoyed watching him.

Z

That is why you will see him working in the NBA more than likely next year. From my understanding he is one of three that might possibly get the call next year to work in the League.

jeffpea Tue Apr 04, 2006 03:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by refTN
That is why you will see him working in the NBA more than likely next year. From my understanding he is one of three that might possibly get the call next year to work in the League.

I thought the NBA Officials Development Program was put in place to use the NBDL and the summer leagues (Utah, Vegas, Boston, etc) as evaluation/training grounds for potential candidates. Are you sure that your info. is correct? They can certainly hire whomever they want; I just thought they brought you up thru their system before you're hired into the league.

By the way, isn't he a little small for what they are looking for? Usually you've got to be 6'4" 220lbs+. As a smaller official, I hate that supervisors do that, but they do - because they can.

BktBallRef Tue Apr 04, 2006 04:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffpea
By the way, isn't he a little small for what they are looking for? Usually you've got to be 6'4" 220lbs+. As a smaller official, I hate that supervisors do that, but they do - because they can.

Nah, that has very little to do with it. If you can do the job, you'll get a spot. Eli Roe is 5 foot nothing and he was picked up this year.

refTN Tue Apr 04, 2006 04:57pm

Quote:

I thought the NBA Officials Development Program was put in place to use the NBDL and the summer leagues (Utah, Vegas, Boston, etc) as evaluation/training grounds for potential candidates. Are you sure that your info. is correct? They can certainly hire whomever they want; I just thought they brought you up thru their system before you're hired into the league.

You're right they do get picked up. Eli had been the NBA D-League(what it is called now) for 4 years and in the WNBA for about the same time before he got the call.

Tony has been in the D-League for a little while as well and I do hope he gets picked up because he does seem to do a real good job.

Jay R Tue Apr 04, 2006 05:05pm

Olandis Poole went straight from NCAA to the NBA. Last year, I am pretty sure he did the Final Four. This year, he is a rookie on the NBA staff.

refTN Tue Apr 04, 2006 05:23pm

If you will check olandis if I am not mistaken worked in the WBA and I would also have to guess he worked in the D-League for at least a year. Some guys you see working big games could possibly be working in the D-League. These guys are not contracted exclusively to the NBA until they are in the League itself. The men and women who work the D-League and the WNBA very well work in D-I basketball somewhere.

If I were to guess, Hank Nichols knows he is about to lose Tony Greene next year so he got him to work the final four this year, but not on that alone, he is a hell of an official.

Raymond Tue Apr 04, 2006 07:57pm

Quote:

Some refs work both the NBDL and college ball. You saw that a lot with the Mr. Guthrie's SEC guys.

Quote:

David Guthrie (rookie) and Eric Lewis (2nd year) are both products of that system and neither exactly falls in the 6'4" 220lbs category.

Quote:

Originally Posted by refTN
If you will check olandis if I am not mistaken worked in the WBA and I would also have to guess he worked in the D-League for at least a year. Some guys you see working big games could possibly be working in the D-League. These guys are not contracted exclusively to the NBA until they are in the League itself. The men and women who work the D-League and the WNBA very well work in D-I basketball somewhere.

OP is another product of that system. This is his 2nd season in the NBA. He worked the 2004 UConn/Duke FF semi. He does fall into the 6'4" 220lbs category. He, along with Dwayne Gladden (East Coast D1 official), and Dave Draucker (MVC, other midwest conferences) are big guys I try to steal from.

AZ_REF Tue Apr 04, 2006 08:19pm

Tommy Nunez Jr. went from the Pac-10 to the NBA. I personally know of at least 5 people working the D League, or WNBA and multiple college confrences.

And on the size issue Billy Kennedy is like five foot nothing and he's been in for 8 or 9 years. However his arms are about as big around as my thigh. And he could break me in half by just looking at me. So I think size matters, just the direction the size is in doesn't. But whats his face from Phoenix has been in a long time and his small, really small. I'm sure somebody remembers his name, I'm drawing a blank.

zebraman Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:19pm

I just know that it was nice to see a college official at the highest level who excels in all facets of the game. So many times at the D-1 level, we see officials with really screwy mechanics or weird habits and it is great to watch a guy like Tony Greene who has the entire package. It does not surprise me that the NBA is interested in him, in fact it's kind of heartening.

I have not seen a correlation between size and successful officials in my part of the country. Not at the elite HS level or at the college level either.

Z

refTN Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebraman
I just know that it was nice to see a college official at the highest level who excels in all facets of the game. So many times at the D-1 level, we see officials with really screwy mechanics or weird habits and it is great to watch a guy like Tony Greene who has the entire package. It does not surprise me that the NBA is interested in him, in fact it's kind of heartening.

I have not seen a correlation between size and successful officials in my part of the country. Not at the elite HS level or at the college level either.

Z

I hope this now helps people to understand that the NBA takes guys who are the best of the best, the only thing is that I assume(and you know what assuming does) that Tony decided he wanted to take a crack at the League later in his career so that is why he is in the SEC and working the big games. The guys that the NBA usually takes are taken before they get major D-1 conferences. They usually only make it as far as the Mid-Major D-1s before getting picked up. Take David Guthrie for example, he worked in the SEC for two years before he was picked up. The other two guys supposedly getting picked up this year besides Tony have less than 8 years in the SEC combined. It might even be lower than that.

sleebo Wed Apr 05, 2006 07:59pm

Sorry for getting in on the thread late, but I have heard from an SEC tourney official that Tony Greene is, in fact, going to the NBA next year. Who are the other 2 getting the call, RefTN? By the way, haven't heard from you for a while. Shoot me an e-mail to let me know how your injury is doing and your plans for summer camps.

refTN Thu Apr 06, 2006 04:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleebo
Sorry for getting in on the thread late, but I have heard from an SEC tourney official that Tony Greene is, in fact, going to the NBA next year. Who are the other 2 getting the call, RefTN? By the way, haven't heard from you for a while. Shoot me an e-mail to let me know how your injury is doing and your plans for summer camps.

Like you said and I said I believe Tony is going to get the call, but the question is does he take it? Tony with all the reffing he does on top of his job which I heard he makes 6 figures or near it, is grossing about 250,000 a year so when and if he signs with the league he will be barely making 110,000. This will definitely be a topic talked and thrown around his household for the next days, if not weeks, if not months to decide what to do. I hope he goes to the league personally.

The other two that I have heard are John Goble, a fairly new SEC official, from Miami. Man that kid can ref, he is going to be a damn good one. P.S. He is not very stocky and is 6 foot maybe.

The other is Joe Forte's son Brian who also is fairly new to the SEC. Once again is a little over 6 foot and not near as stocky as John, and he can toot the whistle pretty damn good himself.

I have had the pleasure of sitting in the locker room with both these guys, and they are good. I remember asking Brian a question about a block/charge play after the game was over and he truthfully told me that he wasn't sure and he waited till the game tape got to them and we watched it time and time again and everyone was unsure, but they did all agree that it was something.

Sleebo if you would set it up where I can send you private messages I will send you one. It would be good to hear from you as well.