The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I was fortunate enough to be asked for an opinion on these by a member of the rules committee. He sent me the full list and asked me to vote on each. Not that my vote is final or anything like that, obviously, but he's taking the opinions of fellow officials into consideration before going to the meeting for the official vote. Here are the ones that I voted "YES" on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
1. 28 ft coaching box
2. permitting gray shirt for officials
8. stopping the game clock on made goals in the final minute of the 4thQ and extra periods
9. play in halves instead of quarters
11. Only permitting players on the court to request a TO, head coach during a dead ball only
12. eliminate lag time if officials have definite knowledge of the time
14. "a closely guarded count shall be terminated when the offensive player in control of the ball gets his/her head and shoulders past the defensive player."
15. allow a shot clock by state adoption
16. courtside replay for state championship games
17. assessing only one delay of game warning for any type of delay of game situation per team instead of one for each of the three types.
20. Make signal #33 (current player control signal) also used for reporting a team control foul.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMEngmann
There are a couple solid suggestions here and a couple really hairbrained ones IMO.
I think you mean harebrained. . .?
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

#4 is too expensive, unless grandfathered. (Taking potshots at an unofficial list of submissions for proposals is easy and maybe pointless - but this won't be the last possibly pointless thing I do today. )
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

I'd support:

1. 28 ft coaching box
7. include a foul committed during a throw-in by the throwing team as a team control foul
11. Only permitting players on the court to request a TO, head coach during a dead ball only
19. coach is out of box and "just coaching" - first offense = warning, second offense = T; coach is out of box and behaving inappropriately - first offense = T (submitted by Mary Struckhoff)

I'm neutral on:

5. require headbands/sweatbands to be same color as jersey
20. Make signal #33 (current player control signal) also used for reporting a team control foul.

I'd be against the rest.

Is anyone summarizing these votes?
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Got a copy of what the rules committee is considering at their meeting. Thought I'd share a few and get some feedback from the forum.

1. 28 ft coaching box
6. eliminate closely guarded while dribbling
8. stopping the game clock on made goals in the final minute of the 4thQ and extra periods
10. entend the game length to 36 minutes
14. "a closely guarded count shall be terminated when the offensive player in control of the ball gets his/her head and shoulders past the defensive player."
18. allow pregame dunking, but not hanging on the ring
19. coach is out of box and "just coaching" - first offense = warning, second offense = T
1. they already use most of the 28 ft anyways, we should go ahead and adopt this one...

2.gray shirts may be a nice change and put money in someone elses pocket too..

6.this would make a fun end of the game if you have a good guard that could dribble, but if we go to shot clocks i would be all for no cg while dribbling

8.i think they should leave this in the college level...let the clock run

9.would love halves, coaches don't from what i hear around here in ky...

10. GAME IS LONG ENOUGH...LEAVE TIME ALONE 16 MINUTE HALVES IS GREAT

11. Would probably make it better so you don't have to look over your shoulder and take your eyes of the play, to make sure the coach is yelling time out...if the player don't ask, they don't get it...love it!!

14. pretty much do this anyways, does anyone call the CG when the defense is running behind the offense????? never seen it

15. would be pretty nice to see the shot clock, would make things even quicker than they are now

16. DEFINITELY needed...hate to see a team lose a game on a close call that could be changed and made right if they can look at the replay...

18. asking for trouble on this one.... no dunking should be allowed.. to many injuries possible, broken rims and backboards, etc....

19. if they give them a 28ft box....if they get out of it, they should be blasted "t".....no warnings..
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 11:28am
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm in favor of the following. In places where I'm conditionally in favor, I'll make comments:

1. 28 ft coaching box
7. include a foul committed during a throw-in by the throwing team as a team control foul
17. assessing only one delay of game warning for any type of delay of game situation per team instead of one for each of the three types.
18. allow pregame dunking, but not hanging on the ring I'd actually be OK with this if they took the responsibility away from the officials in enforcing this -- I'd rather go to college women's mechanics -- come out early, have captain's meeting, check the book, go back to the locker room until 3 minutes left -- and this one will never happen, IMO
19. coach is out of box and "just coaching" - first offense = warning, second offense = T; coach is out of box and behaving inappropriately - first offense = T (submitted by Mary Struckhoff)How about not worrying about the coach being out of the box when he/she is just coaching? Too much worrying about the coaching box -- just make it 28 feet and stop worrying so much about it. WHO CARES?
20. Make signal #33 (current player control signal) also used for reporting a team control foul.I'd prefer the NCAAW punch myself, but a specific signal, even the PC signal, would be good.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 11:31am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
I think you mean harebrained. . .?
Hairebrained ?
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 12:13pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Hairebrained ?
Hey Mick, that thudding sound you hear? That's Tony coming after you! Better run...

None of those rule changes seem "significant" to me...several of them are simply copying what the NCAA already does, and I thought the NFHS wanted to distinguish themselves from the NCAA...
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

some good some bad some ugly

I like the following:

1: 28 ft box..let them roam, and penalize them accordingly for unsporting behavior...I have always thought this was a good idea
7: make team control fouls available during a throw in, just seems logical to me
12: eliminating lag time, seems silly to me to have to allow a second in lag time, if there was definite knowledge...it could be important later
17: assessing one delay, simplifies things
19: coaches box stuff...again, if it is unsporting whack em, don't use the line on the floor to enforce it...
20: I would be in favor of the punch out for both

I am also in favor of the sweatbands/headbands being worn correctly...it goes along with wearing the uniform correctly

I am neutral on the following
2: gray shirts
4: odd/even....when I played our homes were even aways were odd
5: sweatbands/headbands same color as jersey
9: halves instead of quarters
13: held ball on throw in
14: terminating closely guarded....it seems we already do..
15: shot clock
16: courtside replay

I am absolutely against
3: 15 minute mark
6: eliminate closely guarded when dribbling
8: stopping clock in last minute, at the high school level and lower, we don't have good enough clock operators..
10: extending the game
11: I still don't see the problem with the coach requesting a TO
18: allow pregame dunking??? are you kidding me....

allowing the uniform to be worn however a team sees fit....oh nooooooooo
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

I like the idea of using grey jerseys because in theory I would think that the sight of the zebra stripes automatically puts negative thoughts in people's minds. Has anyone that is using grey see any difference? We are supposed to blend into the game but we wear these bright white & black striped shirts.

All these changes should be in a poll but I don't know how that would work because you can only put a max 10 options. I guess for some of the more controversial ones there could be a poll.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 02:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
All these changes should be in a poll but I don't know how that would work because you can only put a max 10 options. I guess for some of the more controversial ones there could be a poll.
Let's have a poll on whether we should have a poll.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Re #17.

I think the delay of game warnings should stay as is, one warning for each. Reason being, I think, especially for the lower levels, the warning is more of an educational tool. Example, a lot of the smaller kids, don't even realize they are breaking a rule, like "breaking the plane" etc. Just a thought.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

1. 28 ft coaching box - I heard that this just barley missed passing last year. We have a 6ft box in Texas which I think is a little too small. I think 28ft. is too big. Maybe 14ft?

2. permitting gray shirt for officials - Several states already do it so we might as well make it legal. Maybe they'd start letting us wear them in Texas

3. 15 minute mark for submitting player roster and starters - I've never had the book filled out by the 10min mark. 15min is too early for HS.

4. Home team wears even numbers, visitors odd - I think this is going to cause more problems then it's going to help. Some teams just bought (or are buying) new jerseys to comply with the home wears "white not light" rule. Now there going to have to replace all there jerseys again? This is going to get real expensive and I don't think there's really much benefit.

6. eliminate closely guarded while dribbling - Not unless we get a shot clock. We shouldn't penalize good defense. IMHO closely guarded should be called more not less.

7. include a foul committed during a throw-in by the throwing team as a team control foul - Might make thinks less confusing. Would we still not change the arrow?

8. stopping the game clock on made goals in the final minute of the 4thQ and extra periods - Would make close games more exciting but you'd have to have a clock operator who's on there toes (esp. since we don't have the benefit of replay like the NCAA/NBA)

9. play in halves instead of quarters - Why? Are we going to give teams additional timeouts for the two "free" fulls they lose because of this?

10. entend the game length to 36 minutes - NO!

11. Only permitting players on the court to request a TO, head coach during a dead ball only - Having had problems before with coaches very upset I couldn't hear them in a loud gym at the end of the game this would really help.

12. eliminate lag time if officials have definite knowledge of the time YES! If I know .9 seconds came off the clock there is no logical reason I shouldn't be able to put them back on!

(Mike Dick of Iowa Girls HS ath union writes of a situation in which the offensive player is cg for three seconds and then dribbles around the defender who chases the offensive player from behind but within six feet, "By current rule, the closely guarded count would continue." Hmmmm...while this clarification would be nice, it seems that someone needs to read the definition of guarding.)
- Isn't this the way it's already called? This is how I understand the current rule. Maybe I'm missing something.

15. allow a shot clock by state adoption - Several states do it so we might as well make it legal.

16. court side replay for state championship games - If it's there we should be able to use it. I've had veteran officials tell me that if they had a buzzer beater that decided the state championship and there was any question, they would check a replay regardless of what the rule book said (I'm assuming they'd get UiL approval first).

18. allow pregame dunking, but not hanging on the ring - Bad idea!

19. coach is out of box and "just coaching" - first offense = warning, second offense = T; coach is out of box and behaving inappropriately - first offense = T (submitted by Mary Struckhoff) - This is how we're told to call it in Texas, although, I'm not sure it's actually a written rule.

20. Make signal #33 (current player control signal) also used for reporting a team control foul. This was a state exception in Texas this year. I'd rather get the NCAAW/NBA "punch" but that's just me.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Nevadaref]
1. 28 ft coaching box - Fine
2. permitting gray shirt for officials - No big deal one way or the other
3. 15 minute mark for submitting player roster and starters - Why?
4. Home team wears even numbers, visitors odd - Just adds more expenses to the schools, and they just bought new uni's to be sure the home jerseys are white/light in color
5. require headbands/sweatbands to be same color as jersey Fine
6. eliminate closely guarded while dribbling - NO
7. include a foul committed during a throw-in by the throwing team as a team control foul - This should have been done last year
8. stopping the game clock on made goals in the final minute of the 4thQ and extra periods - lack of qualified (non-partisan) timers
9. play in halves instead of quarters - Yes
10. entend the game length to 36 minutes - Yes
11. Only permitting players on the court to request a TO, head coach during a dead ball only - I love it when a coach calls TO as his player shoots, "Tweet, time out white, no basket"
12. eliminate lag time if officials have definite knowledge of the time - Yes
13. change from a held ball to an OOB violation on the thrower when the thrower holds the ball across the boundary plane and a defender grasps it simultaneously with the thrower - Who cares?
(Mike Dick of Iowa Girls HS ath union writes of a situation in which the offensive player is cg for three seconds and then dribbles around the defender who chases the offensive player from behind but within six feet, "By current rule, the closely guarded count would continue." Hmmmm...while this clarification would be nice, it seems that someone needs to read the definition of guarding.) - See def. of guarding
15. allow a shot clock by state adoption - Doesn't matter to me
16. courtside replay for state championship games - Maybe expand this to all state tournament games
17. assessing only one delay of game warning for any type of delay of game situation per team instead of one for each of the three types. - Yes
18. allow pregame dunking, but not hanging on the ring - If you can dunk, DUNK!
19. coach is out of box and "just coaching" - first offense = warning, second offense = T; coach is out of box and behaving inappropriately - first offense = T (submitted by Mary Struckhoff) - Fine by me
20. Make signal #33 (current player control signal) also used for reporting a team control foul. - Just use the NCAAW 'punch' signal, this is pretty well used, accepted, and understood already
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 06:36pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I had heard there might be a change in penalty for delay in returning to the court to a violation rather than a technical, but maybe this one is not on the list of submissions. [To make it the same as leaving the court]