The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Kicking? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/25787-kicking.html)

fonzzy07 Mon Mar 27, 2006 09:22pm

Kicking?

had this in a game, a bounce pass comes from the top of the key into the paint. The ball accidently hits the deffensive man in the foot. Whistle my partner called a kick. I asked him about it and said "did you think that kid intentionally tried to kick that ball?" He said no but I saw his leg move towards it so its a kick. I asked him isant a kick suppose to be an intentional act. He told me no that the leg just had to move to the ball. I didn't say anything else as he is a DIII official and I only have 2 years experience, just thought I'd see if you guys thought I was right or if he was right?

zebraman Mon Mar 27, 2006 09:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzzy07
had this in a game, a bounce pass comes from the top of the key into the paint. The ball accidently hits the deffensive man in the foot. Whistle my partner called a kick. I asked him about it and said "did you think that kid intentionally tried to kick that ball?" He said no but I saw his leg move towards it so its a kick. I asked him isant a kick suppose to be an intentional act. He told me no that the leg just had to move to the ball. I didn't say anything else as he is a DIII official and I only have 2 years experience, just thought I'd see if you guys thought I was right or if he was right?

You were.

Z

Snake~eyes Mon Mar 27, 2006 09:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzzy07

You're right, it has to be intentional.

ChuckElias Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:10pm

It does have to be intentional; but since none of us can read minds, many officials use the guideline of whether the foot/leg was moving toward the ball. If you don't like the guideline, that's certainly a valid POV.

Texas Aggie Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:26pm

Remember that "intentional" in this case means he's trying to or pretty much putting himself in a position to block the ball with his foot.

If a player is chasing a loose ball and inadvertantly kicks it, we have nothing. If a player is defending and jumps to block a pass while extending his legs outside of their natural vertical plane, and the ball hits it, then we have a violation. He may have thrown his arm out and not specifically intended to kick the ball, but he is responsible for his leg being in that position.

Jurassic Referee Tue Mar 28, 2006 02:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Remember that "intentional" in this case means he's trying to or pretty much putting himself in a position to block the ball with his foot.

If a player is chasing a loose ball and inadvertantly kicks it, we have nothing. If a player is defending and jumps to block a pass while extending his legs outside of their natural vertical plane, and the ball hits it, then we have a violation. He may have thrown his arm out and not specifically intended to kick the ball, but he is responsible for his leg being in that position.

Say what?

Where did you get that idea from? Rules reference?

If the player ain't trying to <b>intentionally</b> kick the ball or <b>intentionally</b> block a pass with his leg, in the opinion of the calling official, then it ain't a violation- whether the player is jumping with his legs spread or not.