The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   New Whistle Poll (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/25778-new-whistle-poll.html)

WhistlesAndStripes Mon Mar 27, 2006 05:27pm

New Whistle Poll

Has anyone tried the new Dolfin whistle? I know that FOX has a version of this one now, but I think someone else had it out before FOX. Have you tried it? Do you plan to?

tomegun Mon Mar 27, 2006 05:32pm

I worked with a guy that used it and it wasn't really all that different. He told me that it takes less air and it is louder.

refTN Mon Mar 27, 2006 05:38pm

I have heard it in action and I agree with Tom on this one, but I just can't stand the way it looks. The guy using it said he loved the way it fit in his mouth and I told him that you would only hear that remark made by a guy in the officiating community.

26 Year Gap Mon Mar 27, 2006 05:41pm

Thought I might try it in AAU tournaments.

tjones1 Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:29pm

I can tell a difference in the sound compared to a Fox40. For me, it's Fox40 all the way. I'm with refTN, I don't like the way it looks either.

CA BBall Ref Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:03am

I don't eat fish so why would I want to blow a dolphin? Personally I prefer a FOX

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Mar 28, 2006 06:02am

After I voted, I see that I am the only one that is using the new Dolfin and will continue to use it.

I like the sound and is a more comfortable fit that the Fox40. I am using the actual Dolfin and not the one made by Fox.

Since I didn't officiate and MichiganHSAA girls' games this year due to a stress fracture, I wasn't able to use it until the normal basketball season started and I liked it from the beginning.

MTD, Sr.

crazy voyager Tue Mar 28, 2006 06:33am

I'm getting two dolphins from japan (scince you can't get them here) I right now use the pea whistle but I need something louder. And yeah the look isn't astonishing (that's probably spelled wrong :p ) but I've heard it and I like the sound of it, and I've never liked the Fox 40 and that's what they sell here, so I'm getting the dolphin. And I'm looking forward to using it as soon as the mail comes withi it :)

daveg144 Tue Mar 28, 2006 09:52am

I have used a Fox since I started (3 years ago). I did buy a Dolfin and have used it. It definitely has a different tone, but I don't think it's any louder than a Fox. I prefer the Fox, but I carry the Dolfin in my bag. I will probably use it in AAU tournaments that are in places with more than one court (especially if my partner has one) because it might make it easier for the players to distinguish our whistles and not be confused by one coming from a neighboring court.

tmp44 Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:51am

A guy in my chapter decided to switch to the Dolphin this past year. When I asked him why he said that it's louder and therefore makes him stand out more when he blows the whistle....oy vey. :confused: :confused: